LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

okay, so - after what has been an utterly atrocious first 5 months of the year, culminating in a complete and utter failure to lose any more than 2kg since January, I've culled. Culled all the refined carbs in my house, stocked up on good oils (olive, avo & coconut) as well as cruciferous veg and good meat (steak & chicken)

From now, I'm going to be strictly following the "Keto-Gains" style version of LCHF, which is broadly described as low carb, adequate protein, adequate on fat. Fat intake depends on your goals - to lose, less fat. To gain, more fat. 

Given that I need to lose, I'm limiting fat to the macros pumped out by their calculator, based on 20g carbs (net), sufficient protein @ 1g / lean lb bodyweight and fat for the rest. This results in 160g protein, 90g fat, 20g carbs. 

This is a slight departure from the typical "therapeutic" keto that many groups propose, but I feel that they have the right mixture of results, evidence and know-how to back up their claims. 

All tracking will be done via MFP, and I'll be making my own mayo, sauces and everything else, from scratch. 

I realise that this is about the eleventy millionth time I've hit a "reboot", but I'm over it, and my divorce is almost complete. Just awaiting a court date. 

Will check back in as I progress (hopefully)

http://ketogains.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/KETO-food-pyramid-REVISED-791x1024.png

Edited by Cptmayhem

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, so - after what has been an utterly atrocious first 5 months of the year, culminating in a complete and utter failure to lose any more than 2kg since January, I've culled. Culled all the refined carbs in my house, stocked up on good oils (olive, avo & coconut) as well as cruciferous veg and good meat (steak & chicken)

From now, I'm going to be strictly following the "Keto-Gains" style version of LCHF, which is broadly described as low carb, adequate protein, adequate on fat. Fat intake depends on your goals - to lose, less fat. To gain, more fat. 

Given that I need to lose, I'm limiting fat to the macros pumped out by their calculator, based on 20g carbs (net), sufficient protein @ 1g / lean KG bodyweight and fat for the rest. This results in 160g protein, 90g fat, 20g carbs. 

This is a slight departure from the typical "therapeutic" keto that many groups propose, but I feel that they have the right mixture of results, evidence and know-how to back up their claims. 

All tracking will be done via MFP, and I'll be making my own mayo, sauces and everything else, from scratch. 

I realise that this is about the eleventy millionth time I've hit a "reboot", but I'm over it, and my divorce is almost complete. Just awaiting a court date. 

http://ketogains.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/KETO-food-pyramid-REVISED-791x1024.png

Good luck, Myles. I think you know what my advice would be (pssst.... whole-food plant-based diet), but let's see. 

Honestly, there is no such thing as good meat, whatever that means in the first place. 

Is the 160g protein per day? 

Good luck, Myles. I think you know what my advice would be (pssst.... whole-food plant-based diet), but let's see. 

Honestly, there is no such thing as good meat, whatever that means in the first place. 

Is the 160g protein per day? 

yeah, dude. I know what it would be. :P

Good meat = pasture raised, ethically grown. As much as I can, honestly. 

Yes - 160g per day = 640kcal from protein. Fish, chicken, eggs, beef, pork etc etc. 

It's still *technically* LCHF as the majority of my calories (810kcal) will come from fat, but the main goal is to limit carbs properly, and to get additional variety from the non-starchy variety. 

Honestly, I've been sabotaging myself every step of the way, this year. Be it emotionally, physically or just plain habit. That beer, glass of wine, pizza, burger, cake and so on have just been too easy to say yes to. That needs to stop, now. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

Honestly, I've been sabotaging myself every step of the way, this year. Be it emotionally, physically or just plain habit. That beer, glass of wine, pizza, burger, cake and so on have just been too easy to say yes to. That needs to stop, now. 

Good luck Myles. Personally, I have a tub of coconut oil on my desk, and snork that down during the day. Personally, alcohol is my derailleur... or derailer... a year ago, a 5-day fast was easy, now impossible. I'm also battling with portion-size... I'm single during the week, so there's no one to foist my extra food onto, so I just eat it rather than waste it.

Apparently you can cook with coconut oil....

Seared my steak in it last night, with some rosemary & garlic. Was actually darn good. No burning, just a proper good sear. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

yeah, dude. I know what it would be. :P

Good meat = pasture raised, ethically grown. As much as I can, honestly. 

Yes - 160g per day = 640kcal from protein. Fish, chicken, eggs, beef, pork etc etc. 

It's still *technically* LCHF as the majority of my calories (810kcal) will come from fat, but the main goal is to limit carbs properly, and to get additional variety from the non-starchy variety. 

'Pasture fed', 'free range', etc. is a bunch of bollocks to only serve as a comforting lie. There is no such thing as humane or ethical meat. 

That aside (so as not to derail this thread), careful for such high protein intake. I know you're focusing on fat loss at the moment and perhaps this isn't a long-term diet for you, but keep the following in mind: 

Background. While high-protein consumption—above the current recommended dietary allowance for adults (RDA: 0.8 g protein/kg body weight/day)—is increasing in popularity, there is a lack of data on its potential adverse effects. Objective. To determine the potential disease risks due to high protein/high meat intake obtained from diet and/or nutritional supplements in humans. Design. Review. Subjects. Healthy adult male and female subjects. Method. In order to identify relevant studies, the electronic databases, Medline and Google Scholar, were searched using the terms:“high protein diet,” “protein overconsumption,” “protein overuse,” and “high meat diet.” Papers not in English were excluded. Further studies were identified by citations in retrieved papers. Results. 32 studies (21 experimental human studies and 11 reviews) were identified. The adverse effects associated with long-term high protein/high meat intake in humans were (a) disorders of bone and calcium homeostasis, (b) disorders of renal function, © increased cancer risk, (d) disorders of liver function, and (e) precipitated progression of coronary artery disease. Conclusions. The findings of the present study suggest that there is currently no reasonable scientific basis in the literature to recommend protein consumption above the current RDA (high protein diet) for healthy adults due to its potential disease risks. Further research needs to be carried out in this area, including large randomized controlled trials.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4045293/

Then there's also the multitude of adverse health effects stemming from the consumption of animal proteins. 

'Pasture fed', 'free range', etc. is a bunch of bollocks to only serve as a comforting lie. There is no such thing as humane or ethical meat. 

That aside (so as not to derail this thread), careful for such high protein intake. I know you're focusing on fat loss at the moment and perhaps this isn't a long-term diet for you, but keep the following in mind: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4045293/

Then there's also the multitude of adverse health effects stemming from the consumption of animal proteins. 

Wow. This is amazing. But I will take my chances and enjoy eating meat for 60 years and die 2 years before my due time.

Wow. This is amazing. But I will take my chances and enjoy eating meat for 60 years and die 2 years before my due time.

No one can force you to act differently. You're a big boy and make your own decisions. 

Just keep in mind that it's not just the number of years, it's the quality.

Let's also not forget that your steak was once a living, breathing, thinking individual, who had to live a short life and die a violent death to end up on your plate. Your life choices do not only affect you. 

No one can force you to act differently. You're a big boy and make your own decisions. 

Just keep in mind that it's not just the number of years, it's the quality.

Let's also not forget that your steak was once a living, breathing, thinking individual, who had to live a short life and die a violent death to end up on your plate. Your life choices do not only affect you. 

And it was bloody yummy, too... 

:P

EDIT: As it may occur to you, I'm fine with that. I'd rather they were raised in pastures and proper conditions as opposed to feedlots, cages and pens, though, as then at least their experience whilst living would have been a good one. Hopefully.. 

But that meat is difficult to come by, and generally more expensive. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

EDIT: As it may occur to you, I'm fine with that. I'd rather they were raised in pastures and proper conditions as opposed to feedlots, cages and pens, though, as then at least their experience whilst living would have been a good one. Hopefully.. 

Karma, dude. That's all I'm saying. 

my view is that going vegan and eating meat are both bad choices, but if I'm choosing for my health, I'm going with meat. That means I need to reconcile animal slaughter and put my health above those of animals. Also, because pork belly. 

my view is that going vegan and eating meat are both bad choices, but if I'm choosing for my health, I'm going with meat. That means I need to reconcile animal slaughter and put my health above those of animals. Also, because pork belly. 

Why is vegan a bad choice? 

Why is vegan a bad choice? 

ah dude, you've had the cool-aid, so there's little point in entertaining your question. not even sure what you're doing in this thread tbh. unless you're getting (or willing to get) >70% fats in your diet and <20g carbs per day, you're not adding anything meaningful nor are you willing to learn. best take your supplements and head on out the door.

All the best man.

I've basically just switched to carnivore, and everything is better. Like, everything. Stable weight, stronger, much more clear thinking, amazing bowel movements (Because it's the first thing people ask me), recovery off the charts, hardly get sick, mood is stable, .... I could go on.

My many many many hours of research and experimentation all point to one thing. Remove carbs. Don't bother adding fat. You can, without harm, but you don't need to.

Given that I need to lose, I'm limiting fat to the macros pumped out by their calculator, based on 20g carbs (net), sufficient protein @ 1g / lean lb bodyweight and fat for the rest. This results in 160g protein, 90g fat, 20g carbs. 

ah dude, you've had the cool-aid, so there's little point in entertaining your question. not even sure what you're doing in this thread tbh. unless you're getting (or willing to get) >70% fats in your diet and <20g carbs per day, you're not adding anything meaningful nor are you willing to learn. best take your supplements and head on out the door.

Message me then. I'm curious to hear your views.