LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I find some of these comments hilarious as everyone thinks they are an expert on LCHF. I went to a sports nutritionist. I have one diet for Monday - Friday and one for Saturday and Sunday when I do my long endurance rides. I have lost about 5Kgs in 3 Months and about 20cms around my waist. My nutritionist said I must cut down my fat content in my diet to lower my fat percentage. I eat date bars, race food while I ride and it works for me. Everyone is different, find what works for u and not be a sheep following the flock...........all these guys selling their books on the "next" best diet is out to make money. We all are made differently so what works for one doesn't always work for the next person. Just my opinion

I agree that everyone is different. But it takes constant awareness and testing to find what works for you and then some more as even your own body can change over time. Therefore this form helps. I have lost 14 kg's thus far this year and most not on LCHF. But rather something similar. LCHF has helped me break a plateau and I have also realized that LCHF is not a protein fest and that has helped me break that plateau.

I have also in the past used the sugary stuff and bars on the road and got stomach cramps after 5 hours on the road. I also went through sugar crashes which were worse than bonks. Now without sugar I don't seem to reach my limits.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest spending time on this thread a little more, but with more of an open mind and a willingness learn about the latest science behind nutrition.

While I agree with you that there's definitely a place for carbs and when to use them, your beliefs about what a 'proper breakfast' is, are based on debunked nutritional theory.

Your breakfast is full of phytates, lectins, gluten, and hydrogenated vegetable fat (carcinogenic trans fat). These 'foods' all sit very high on the crap that modern nutritionists will tell you to avoid as much as possible. You're working on debunked beliefs.

If this is what your nutritionist is telling you to eat, then it reinforces why my sister feels like she stepped back in time when she returned to SA after 10 years in the UK. She's a highly qualified dietitian who worked in two of the top bariatric wards in London hospitals, running one of them. The majority of dietitians/nutritionists in SA are stuck in the past, holding on to debunked theory. They're stuck in the 80's, and they've been left very far behind the States, the UK and Europe. For example, they'd get laughed out of the room if they tried to tell modern nutritionists in London that 'wholegrains' are good for you, etc.

But I've got a sneaking suspicion that you're not here to contribute/learn, but to troll and to cause a bit of *** here and there. Am I right?

Most probably, my friend follows Noakes diet(lifestyle as you say it) religiously and I don't see a difference. On my eating plan/lifestyle I have managed in my last race to ride a 2:42 at emperors classic(103km) which was 5/6Mins slower than A group. So to say that my breakfast ain't proper, I guess my results speak for themselves. I been riding for 3 yrs now and this year I have ridden better not only cause of my training but how I have been eating. I don't agree with Noakes as I have seen a difference in my physique due to lowering how much fat I intake. I have gotten leaner and stronger.

I suggest spending time on this thread a little more, but with more of an open mind and a willingness learn about the latest science behind nutrition.

While I agree with you that there's definitely a place for carbs and when to use them, your beliefs about what a 'proper breakfast' is, are based on debunked nutritional theory.

Your breakfast is full of phytates, lectins, gluten, and hydrogenated vegetable fat (carcinogenic trans fat). These 'foods' all sit very high on the crap that modern nutritionists will tell you to avoid as much as possible. You're working on debunked beliefs.

If this is what your nutritionist is telling you to eat, then it reinforces why my sister feels like she stepped back in time when she returned to SA after 10 years in the UK. She's a highly qualified dietitian who worked in two of the top bariatric wards in London hospitals, running one of them. The majority of dietitians/nutritionists in SA are stuck in the past, holding on to debunked theory. They're stuck in the 80's, and they've been left very far behind the States, the UK and Europe. For example, they'd get laughed out of the room if they tried to tell modern nutritionists in London that 'wholegrains' are good for you, etc.

But I've got a sneaking suspicion that you're not here to contribute/learn, but to troll and to cause a bit of *** here and there. Am I right?

I don't know what you would eat for breakfast but I find what I currently eat works for me and I don't have any issues when on the bike.

Most probably, my friend follows Noakes diet(lifestyle as you say it) religiously and I don't see a difference. On my eating plan/lifestyle I have managed in my last race to ride a 2:42 at emperors classic(103km) which was 5/6Mins slower than A group. So to say that my breakfast ain't proper, I guess my results speak for themselves. I been riding for 3 yrs now and this year I have ridden better not only cause of my training but how I have been eating. I don't agree with Noakes as I have seen a difference in my physique due to lowering how much fat I intake. I have gotten leaner and stronger.

As you mention, everyone is different, and I will not knock your eating type if to works for you. Just remember not to confuse the three issues of FIT, HEALTHY and LEAN. these are three separate conditions that may or may not overlap.

We naturally assume that people who are lean or fit are healthy, but that is a mistake. Fitness is easy to measure (race times), BMI may be a good measure for Fat/Lean but measuring health starts to require measurements that many folk are not aware of or comfortable with (blood tests, etc).

Just to put some of this in context, some years ago I followed a strict low fat hi carb diet, rode a 3:07 argus and was busy training for Epic, had a body fat % of 15% ... fit? yes! Lean, yes! .... so why did I have a heart attack?? healthy, no!

And before you start thinking that my case is special, I suggest you go have a listen to a recent podcast by Mark Sisson where he rattles off the names of far greater athletes than me who have had health issues (Episode 29 of Primal Blueprint Podcast).

This style of eating / diet / lifestyle is not about weight loss. Its not about athletic perfection. It's about health and giving those of us who are carb intolerant a quality of life that cannot be matched on a high carb diet.

I don't know what you would eat for breakfast but I find what I currently eat works for me and I don't have any issues when on the bike.

OK cool, no problem.

I have a major concern (LCHF people included), and I've been vocal about it on this thread, about the idea that 'a carb is a carb'. I completely disagree.

Like I've said many times before, not all carbs are bad and not all fats are good. In fact, there are a lot of bad fats.

The worst of them are the refined vegetable oils (I hope you're not cooking with sunflower oil, eating margarine, etc) and the worst of them all are hydrogenated vegetable oils.

Check your commercial peanut butter - it's full of hydrogenated vegetable oil. Cancer in a can. If you really have to have your peanut butter then try make your own (but do you know how much omega 6 PUFA you're putting into your body, and do you know what that does in terms inflammation, oxidative effects, etc.).

Then with regards to bad carbs: do a quick Google search on the terrible triplets: the anti-nutrients called phytates, lectins and gluten. Don't take a LCHF persons point of view, feel free to find your own. But research this stuff and see if you really want to have grains in your diet. Nothing wrong with lots of proper vegies, salads and some starches and fruits to get your carbs. Once you know what phytates do, will you ever want to eat oats again? What about gluten and the wheat flour you're eating when you eat bread. Do little experiments like quitting all bread for 2 weeks, then have a few slices of bread and see how your body reacts to it. I was amazed myself.

Anyway, have a good Monday.

Edited by tombeej

Now I want to ask a stupid question. If like me you are a regular drinker. No I do not have a problem. I might or might not have an enlarged liver. Do I store more glycogen?

Then is it better to start off with a good meal +- an hour before a race and then get the factory started or rather try on demand sugars just before you run out of energy? Or maybe a low concentration of carbs from the moment the race starts to avoid taking high concentrates later on.

Edit: I have no experience in stage racing but for normal racing do not go empty the body of glycogen the previous day or even two if you have not adapted your body to deal with that through long extensive training for multiple day riding and metabolism.

And for F sakes nothing will work without proper hydration. Rehidrat is for before the race not after the race.

I'm 99.999% sure that drinking will not help you store more glycogen in your liver. Muscle glycogen is the accounts for roughly 80% of the glycogen stored and by training you can increase this amount. Bear in mind that glycogen is used at higher heart rates and preservation of glycogen is what we are all after. Fat we have plenty. Personally I prefer complex carbs such as sweet potato, butternut, pumpkin etc to make sure I'm fully stocked but once on the bike its gels and drinks when racing. Casual riding/training will be water only unless its a very long ride or very hard training ride.

As you mention, everyone is different, and I will not knock your eating type if to works for you. Just remember not to confuse the three issues of FIT, HEALTHY and LEAN. these are three separate conditions that may or may not overlap.

We naturally assume that people who are lean or fit are healthy, but that is a mistake. Fitness is easy to measure (race times), BMI may be a good measure for Fat/Lean but measuring health starts to require measurements that many folk are not aware of or comfortable with (blood tests, etc).

Just to put some of this in context, some years ago I followed a strict low fat hi carb diet, rode a 3:07 argus and was busy training for Epic, had a body fat % of 15% ... fit? yes! Lean, yes! .... so why did I have a heart attack?? healthy, no!

And before you start thinking that my case is special, I suggest you go have a listen to a recent podcast by Mark Sisson where he rattles off the names of far greater athletes than me who have had health issues (Episode 29 of Primal Blueprint Podcast).

This style of eating / diet / lifestyle is not about weight loss. Its not about athletic perfection. It's about health and giving those of us who are carb intolerant a quality of life that cannot be matched on a high carb diet.

I obviously can not speak for every one on this forum, but a lot of us did not embark on this lifestyle with weight loss and or athletic performance as our ultimate goal. I suffer from reflux, heartburn, bloating and pain due to a hiatus hernia when I eat grains or sugar. I have proven it over and over again to myself that they are the culprits. I might not be able to do a 2h40 94.7 any more like when I was carb fueled, but I don't care either. Been there got the T shirt. At my age my long term health are much more important than good times in events. I enjoy my cycling and will take energy drinks and the like while doing an event, but other than that I try to stick to meat, fish, fowl, eggs vegetables, oils like coconut and olive, butter, cheese and the occasional fruit.

I'm 99.999% sure that drinking will not help you store more glycogen in your liver. Muscle glycogen is the accounts for roughly 80% of the glycogen stored and by training you can increase this amount..

And also by training you can slow the rate at which you burn through your glycogen stores. So, a double benefit :).

The more fat adapted you are (and the more you train without carbs), the less you rely on your glycogen stores for fuel during racing. A fat adapted LCHF athlete will take longer to burn through his glycogen reserves than a 'carb burner'. If you live LCHF you are more 'bonk proof'.

For those who haven't read this one, here's a popular post from Peter Attia showing exactly how these numbers worked out for him. Interesting reading for sure.

OK cool, no problem.

I have a major concern (LCHF people included), and I've been vocal about it on this thread, about the idea that 'a carb is a carb'. I completely disagree.

Like I've said many times before, not all carbs are bad and not all fats are good. In fact, there are a lot of bad fats.

The worst of them are the refined vegetable oils (I hope you're not cooking with sunflower oil, eating margarine, etc) and the worst of them all are hydrogenated vegetable oils.

Check your commercial peanut butter - it's full of hydrogenated vegetable oil. Cancer in a can. If you really have to have your peanut butter then try make your own (but do you know how much omega 6 PUFA you're putting into your body, and do you know what that does in terms inflammation, oxidative effects, etc.).

Then with regards to bad carbs: do a quick Google search on the terrible triplets: the anti-nutrients called phytates, lectins and gluten. Don't take a LCHF persons point of view, feel free to find your own. But research this stuff and see if you really want to have grains in your diet. Nothing wrong with lots of proper vegies, salads and some starches and fruits to get your carbs. Once you know what phytates do, will you ever want to eat oats again? What about gluten and the wheat flour you're eating when you eat bread. Do little experiments like quitting all bread for 2 weeks, then have a few slices of bread and see how your body reacts to it. I was amazed myself.

Anyway, have a good Monday.

At some Fruit and Veg stores they butter the nuts while you wait and you can choose the nut type and actuall nuts

I'm 99.999% sure that drinking will not help you store more glycogen in your liver. Muscle glycogen is the accounts for roughly 80% of the glycogen stored and by training you can increase this amount. Bear in mind that glycogen is used at higher heart rates and preservation of glycogen is what we are all after. Fat we have plenty. Personally I prefer complex carbs such as sweet potato, butternut, pumpkin etc to make sure I'm fully stocked but once on the bike its gels and drinks when racing. Casual riding/training will be water only unless its a very long ride or very hard training ride.

Thought so about the liver! Was more a joke.

I think one I get to race at a faster pace I will re look my affair with gels. Then I'll probably also not need to use so much of them if my ride is shorter in time.

At some Fruit and Veg stores they butter the nuts while you wait and you can choose the nut type and actuall nuts

I'll keep an eye out for that.

I make my own macadamia nut butter with coconut oil and a dash of vanilla essence. Can't get enough of it.

I'll keep an eye out for that.

I make my own macadamia nut butter with coconut oil and a dash of vanilla essence. Can't get enough of it.

That sounds delicious. Let's get a few more recipes shared for today shall we?

I like this thread, it's almost 13h00 and no one has brought up Beeld's front page article.

Old news. Posted already on this thread last week already. The Beeld is a week late.

Same people holding onto the same old paradigm belief systems.

A quick poll of the old regulars on this thread alone will reveal completely different results in terms of stable blood glucose levels, energy levels and of course cholesterol levels (I'm one of them).