LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

A colleague just had one of these over lunch. He was telling me about how nice this new product tastes and that I should try one. Then we read the label.

'Clever' Marketing:

It comes in a 500ml bottle. It claims to be formulated to hydrate you better than water. It has a special “Lower in Sugar – Healthier choice” label on it. This must be good for you!!!

120mg Sodium per serving (250ml),

Some other electrolytes,

17g Sugar per serving (250ml),

0g fat,

0g Protein.

There is actually 34g Sugar in a bottle. They have to “hide” the sugar by adding 240mg of Sodium - otherwise no one would drink it.

Would you eat six teaspoons of sugar on top of your regular lunch or dinner?

Same thing goes for Energade and Powerade (both things i would have chosen as a healthier option to coke etc. back in the day)

Energade (500ml) 28g of sugar

205mg of Sodium

Powerade (500ml) 29g of sugar

208mg of Sodium

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone looking for organic, ethically raised pork, I know of a student farmer in Tulbagh that has 6 pigs available for purchase at R65/kg. The meat is absolutely incomparable to the stuff you get from the supermarket. Since part of the LCHF diet is to eat as clean, organic food as possible, this is an amazing deal for anyone that's interested. The pigs have only been dewormed, no antibiotics and are raised mostly on grass and vegetable scraps (potato peels, carrot tops etc) in large open fields.

He will deliver anywhere in the areas around Tulbagh, Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Paarl. His name is Matthew and you can contact him on the following cell number if you are interested: (072) 730 5559.

post-39463-0-34795200-1410168317_thumb.jpg

post-39463-0-04523100-1410168326_thumb.jpg

Anyone looking for organic, ethically raised pork, I know of a student farmer in Tulbagh that has 6 pigs available for purchase at R65/kg. The meat is absolutely incomparable to the stuff you get from the supermarket. Since part of the LCHF diet is to eat as clean, organic food as possible, this is an amazing deal for anyone that's interested. The pigs have only been dewormed, no antibiotics and are raised mostly on grass and vegetable scraps (potato peels, carrot tops etc) in large open fields.

He will deliver anywhere in the areas around Tulbagh, Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Paarl. His name is Matthew and you can contact him on the following cell number if you are interested: (072) 730 5559.

post-39463-0-34795200-1410168317_thumb.jpg

post-39463-0-04523100-1410168326_thumb.jpg

Magic, I love seeing that.

What do guys think the little piggies will weigh? Maybe we can go 2 or 3 guys on a vark, and share it up equally or something?

Edited by HDW

What do guys think the little piggies will weigh? Maybe we can go 2 or 3 guys on a vark, and share it up equally or something?

I forgot to mention that he sells the pigs by the half. So you can purchase half a pig at a time. Best is to phone him and see what he has available. I just bought another half a pig this week. Total weight for a whole pig is roughly 60kgs.

Now to find a smoker, gonna make me some bacon!

You guys provide lots of comic relief !!,

Need help. BMR is the basic energy calc just to get by. Clearly as an active person you re-calculate. So, do you on a daily basis take your BMR + exercise values to get full calorie needs or do you calculate a basic value using the whole "lightly active" "moderately active" etc.

Myfitnesspal is great as i have my BMR and add daily activities.

Am I on the right track?

Ps : this is not ruling my life, I am just teaching myself and experimenting.

Need help. BMR is the basic energy calc just to get by. Clearly as an active person you re-calculate. So, do you on a daily basis take your BMR + exercise values to get full calorie needs or do you calculate a basic value using the whole "lightly active" "moderately active" etc.

Myfitnesspal is great as i have my BMR and add daily activities.

Am I on the right track?

Tracy,

This is one of those "fools rush in ...." type topics and there are some very vociferous folk who have ideas about calories and counting them ... but I'll rush in anyway :)

"So, do you on a daily basis take your BMR + exercise values to get full calorie needs"

Yes, that's what I do, but important to look at calorie intake /expenditure over a week or so - don't try doing this on a daily basis especially when your training load increases. I find I'm never hungry the day of a big ride but often hunger kicks in a day or 2 later so I may have a deficit on Monday but 'over eat' on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Also remember a few caveats:

1. a calorie from fat is not the same as a calorie from carb is not the same as a calorie from protein. Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes is a little light reading to help you get a grip on this :)

2. calories have a context in terms of time. e.g. protein/carbs/fat in the morning does different things than protein/carbs/fat at night or after exercise.

3. calories have a context in terms of what is eaten with them.

Lastly, if you have a hour, suggest you listen to podcast by Mark Sisson on "calories in calories out". Primal Blueprint podcast episode 6

Edited by DaleE

Thanks Dale ... That's how I have it. Thanks also for mentioning about not being hungry after a long ride/race. I also find that I am not hungry for hours after that and my old habits sometimes want to kick in and I want to force myself to eat. Next day : no forcing needed ;)

I finally found free range (organic would have been better) pork crackling snacks! Country meat in Fourways has it, along with all sorts of mind-blowing grass fed goodness.

yussus! R355 for 500g of bacon. that might just persuade me to eat bread again. Even the cheapest option @ R2100 for 6kg = R350 per kg. :eek:

Eish, I never had a look at the prices. But that is a bit heavy