LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Should we be surprised by those price increases though? Eating 'healthy' seems not be a cheap exercise ......

The other day someone made a comment, saying don't ask why is healthy food so expensive rather ask why is junk/unhealthy food SO cheap....

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the year has started with me changing my lifestyle, eating more often... and eating "real foods" and cutting carbs out the diet

Started with a weight of 121 and 2 months in down to 114. so not to bad so far.but its always easier in the beginning .but I'm struggling.. struggling big time to cut down on sugar, and my biggest issue is with drinks, i love my cool drinks, not so much the fizzy types but ice teas etc, but i know they all laced with heaps of that addictive stuff called sugar..

wanted to know how the rest of you guys cope. what you drink as a replacement?

So the year has started with me changing my lifestyle, eating more often... and eating "real foods" and cutting carbs out the diet

Started with a weight of 121 and 2 months in down to 114. so not to bad so far.but its always easier in the beginning .but I'm struggling.. struggling big time to cut down on sugar, and my biggest issue is with drinks, i love my cool drinks, not so much the fizzy types but ice teas etc, but i know they all laced with heaps of that addictive stuff called sugar..

wanted to know how the rest of you guys cope. what you drink as a replacement?

It's sounds silly. I know. But your best bet is water, tea, coffee. Add some lemon to the water if you must.

The only way to break the addiction is to break it. After a month of no sugar, you actually won't like the taste anymore..... Or at least I don't. I miss what I used to like, but it doesn't taste the same anymore.

water intensive crop... 

OK guys, potato prices should DEFINITELY not be an issue!  On the other veggie side - shop wisely.  It is hard and veggies are expensive, but I milk every loyalty program I can for the benefits :-) 

Remember, eggs are nature's wonder food.  Eat lots of eggs - they fill you up and are honestly one of the most nutritious foods out there.

I agree - cheaper cuts of meet are great - cook oxtail (R79.99/kg), whole chickens are on special at Woolies at the moment.  Lamb is out of kilter unfortunately, but pork is still relatively decently priced. 

Nuts etc - just don't eat them - its not necessary - I agree - the expensive things are a choice (but hell I miss my avo!!)

It's sounds silly. I know. But your best bet is water, tea, coffee. Add some lemon to the water if you must.

The only way to break the addiction is to break it. After a month of no sugar, you actually won't like the taste anymore..... Or at least I don't. I miss what I used to like, but it doesn't taste the same anymore.

I have to agree here - it took me 2 years to break my addiction to sugar - either sugar/sweetener in my coffee and sweet drinks.  Every now and then I feel like a Sprite Zero - have it and hate it.  Regarding replacement - if you cramping, drink a stock cube.  Other than that, just stick to eating the fats hey!! 

WELL DONE ON THE GREAT WEIGHT LOSS SO FAR - am sure you are feeling better. 

OK guys, potato prices should DEFINITELY not be an issue!  On the other veggie side - shop wisely.  It is hard and veggies are expensive, but I milk every loyalty program I can for the benefits :-) 

Remember, eggs are nature's wonder food.  Eat lots of eggs - they fill you up and are honestly one of the most nutritious foods out there.

I agree - cheaper cuts of meet are great - cook oxtail (R79.99/kg), whole chickens are on special at Woolies at the moment.  Lamb is out of kilter unfortunately, but pork is still relatively decently priced. 

Nuts etc - just don't eat them - its not necessary - I agree - the expensive things are a choice (but hell I miss my avo!!)

fully agreed. 

Love eggs, love steak, recently buying t-bbone and prime rib at special prices when they come up. Ribs. Nomnomnom... 

Also loads of veg. Broccoli, cauli etc etc. 

Buy your meat from a butcher, not the supermarkets. It's all flashily dressed up, but you are supporting the farmers by buying from a butcher. You'll get specials from the supermarkets, but the butchers are cheaper as a rule.

Shortrib stew is my family's favourite, and I love making a stew with it, and it's as cheap as, well not chips, seeing the price of 'taties lately, but cheap.

Anyone in EL or Queenstown wanting farm butter, I'm selling at R34 a block, limited amounts available, as I'm going to have to stock up for the winter now

Whats the view on skipping breakfast? I find that if I skip it I'm fine until after 11, but if I do eat early in the morning I'm hungry again much sooner.

Same here, but changed my ways. Proper breakfast, any combination egg, bacon, mince, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions ect prepared in lots of coconut oil and butter. Lasts me until supper, just coffee during the day. Light meal or salad in the evening. Daily dose of carbs is contained in the red wine.

That was good enough to lose 20% of my weight.

If I snack during the day I cannot stop chowing....

OK, so the rule of thumb really is to eat when you are hungry... so why eat before 11??

The only problem I can see with that is the practicality... being at work etc etc. 

I prefer to skip breakfast if I am not hungry and eat properly when I am.  I really battle to eat when I am not hungry yet.  Sometimes I am hungry at 11, sometimes only at 2... see it as a way of intermittent fasting. If you are not hungry, your body doesn't need food.

Packed lunch/breakfast?? Boiled eggs, bacon, etc etc. 

I agree with the snacking - if I don't eat properly I can go all day on snacks.  Makes me miserable - not hungry but not full.  Confusion reigns with snacking

Me? I'm always hungry  :cursing:  - at least I am able to control it though. I need to have 3 'proper' mealtimes a day even though many don't consider what I eat a 'meal' (at least not among my family and friends). I do however if I get really hungry snack on one of those small packets of peanuts and raisins but it's quite rare .....

Me? I'm always hungry  :cursing:  - at least I am able to control it though. I need to have 3 'proper' mealtimes a day even though many don't consider what I eat a 'meal' (at least not among my family and friends). I do however if I get really hungry snack on one of those small packets of peanuts and raisins but it's quite rare .....

I'm with you on this. I can eat a kg of fat for breakfast and Ill be hungry by 9 a.m. This morning at 8.30 I had 2 egg omelet with tomato, cheddar cheese and some left over roast beef. By 9.30 I was gnawing on the edge of my desk.

I'm with you on this. I can eat a kg of fat for breakfast and Ill be hungry by 9 a.m. This morning at 8.30 I had 2 egg omelet with tomato, cheddar cheese and some left over roast beef. By 9.30 I was gnawing on the edge of my desk.

Guys - then you are not eating enough at meal time... EAT MORE!!  Have a 3 egg omelette and fill it more... try and be full (not stuffed though).  I swear - keep boiled eggs ready to go.  Smash 2 and you will be sorted.

PS : the small peanuts & raisins have 14g carbs for that little bag - I was desperate yesterday (didnt have eggs or droewors available in my car). Ate them and THEN read the packet.  Wanted to freak because now no wine!!!!

For me, it all depends on what I am doing during the day. If i am at a desk the whole day, then it is snack central! If i am physicall busy, then I dont even worry. Maybe its just habit. I do find that the lower I go with the carbs, the less hungry I get.