Adverse analytical finding in recent mountain bike stage race

Tumbleweed

The fine seems not to be a fine at all, but a fee of sorts. That I cannot get my head round. As others have suggested, you should be a little more obtuse in getting an explanation as to why "the fine" exists and what they can do with it. Preferably not pineapples, since they do not go well on pizza (nor steak). Maybe mango's.

Try nuts...(as in "are you nuts")... :whistling:

its in the rules which are referred to in the contract you sign with them (License and race entry)... :eek: they can and will attempt to recover costs from persons who test positive.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been reading this thread since it started off and on, and to me it boils down to a very simple question:

"At what point between Barry the Back-marker, and Christoph or Cool-Harvey the Champion do you stop caring who to test?"

It's about perspective, cos I'm fairly sure the 4th placed guy who misses out on prize money would care if the third placed guy cheated. I'm fairly sure a very dedicated amateur who puts in hundreds of hours of training would care if some guys ahead cheated and he couldn't compare himself accurately with his performance. And unless you can define a point that it doesn't matter anymore, the fine/testing fee should be seen as a deterrent.

(the othe issue here is that 2,500SwF is nothing in Swiss-land. We're only arguing on value as Saffers)

"At what point between Barry the Back-marker, and Christoph or Cool-Harvey the Champion do you stop caring who to test?"

i dunno but i reckon somewhere well before "coming in with an hour to spare" on the prologue - cos that when he was tested...lets apply some logic to the sampling process

1. if the time is still competitive for all classifications then sample, else, pack up and go home

2. If random person is in top 20 result for classification then sample, else, ignore and pick another random sample

something like that. Barry would not have gone past step 1

A R25k fine (recovery of costs) is farking nuts!!! 2 year ban.........take it on the chin and look forward to getting back into racing in 2015!! In fact just to make sure you have enough time to think about the "horror and injustice" :whistling: you have caused to cycling in South Africa you should be forced to sit on my back wheel for two laps of Thaba Trails every weekend whilst serving your ban. Trust me having to ride that slowly every weekend would be punishment enough!! :thumbup:

Note: Pineapples also makes for horrific toilet paper.

I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

i dunno but i reckon somewhere well before "coming in with an hour to spare" on the prologue - cos that when he was tested...lets apply some logic to the sampling process

1. if the time is still competitive for all classifications then sample, else, pack up and go home

2. If random person is in top 20 result for classification then sample, else, ignore and pick another random sample

something like that. Barry would not have gone past step 1

I don't disagree with you entirely, but apply point 2 to the Tour de France, and not the Epic. Should the same rules till apply or do you now need a different set of rules for different classifications at different events - to take it to stupid lengths, should we not bother testing the Lantern Rouge because he's just busy meandering around France taking a drink or two?

That was what I was trying to say about defining one set of rules that everyone can adhere to, and not having even more complicated rules that allow loopholes everywhere.

I reported the post and admin removed it.

Yeah, i know a lot about it, it was a very big interest for many years.

I live in the south, you'd do well to find somebody who's never taken juice here.

Hey, I'm from the South and am as clean as a whistle :cursing:

Maybe it's cause I'm female, then again, go to Meyersdal gym and those woman are scary!!

Note: Pineapples also makes for horrific toilet paper.

Works well for worms though

@Wonder Woman....from the souf...do you even lift?

I don't disagree with you entirely, but apply point 2 to the Tour de France, and not the Epic. Should the same rules till apply or do you now need a different set of rules for different classifications at different events - to take it to stupid lengths, should we not bother testing the Lantern Rouge because he's just busy meandering around France taking a drink or two?

That was what I was trying to say about defining one set of rules that everyone can adhere to, and not having even more complicated rules that allow loopholes everywhere.

Dude, are you seriously comparing Barry here (a weekend warrior by his own admission) to a dude on the TDF, who makes a living out of cycling and IS there for monetary benefit? If Barry were Georgie Porgie, then yeah fine. But he's not. Also the TDF is only open to licensed, qualified cyclists. The Epic is open to all.

This is a very difficult topic but maybe you need to differentiate between the pro's and non-pro's. Everyone in the tour is making a living from cycling, not everyone in the Epic is, they paid a fortune to be there.

le tour is made up entirely of professionals so all of them are fair game.....whereas the epic Average Joe can enter and compete so yes it is significantly different. I think it was quite evident at le tour that doping is a big Achilles heel for the UCI and they are trying to up the game (which is lekker) but like any bureaucracy they are doing it wrong

Works well for worms though

@Wonder Woman....from the souf...do you even lift?

Not anymore, don't even have a gym contract. The only lifting I do is a 3 year old girl.

Actually do bootcamp type stuff at home these days and a cycle when I am allowed free of my chain ;).

Do you honestly think that test is going to clean the sport up? Are you going to think twice about taking med lemon or whatever you take when you sick just in case they test you at a race? I will say it again, this test has proved nothing

After all this I WILL think twice about riding without checking.

Don't think Barry should pay that massive fine or costs or whatever but it sure has opened the eyes of some on the Hub of what can happen.