[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #2 Cullinan

Tim_Fair

Besides a lekker fall as I came into the last straight, in front of all the spectators, it was a fun day out. Those climbs were tough for me as a recreational cyclist, but doable.

Just can't figure out why a lot of slower cyclists refuse to keep left .....not for me, but for the racing snakes. No wonder the faster guys get frustrated.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here is something to REALLY complain about. My Hilux Toyota got stolen during the race this morning. Needles to say, I cannot remember too much about the race itself. After 40km cycling one get very easily in a panicking mode when you realize your bakkie, with phone, wallet and everything else is flippen gone!! Sad to say, but this make me think twice about racing again - or rather cycling hehe.

Now here is something to REALLY complain about. My Hilux Toyota got stolen during the race this morning. Needles to say, I cannot remember too much about the race itself. After 40km cycling one get very easily in a panicking mode when you realize your bakkie, with phone, wallet and everything else is flippen gone!! Sad to say, but this make me think twice about racing again - or rather cycling hehe.

Sorry about that. At least you can buy a Nissan or Ford now..... :ph34r:

Hey Hope really sorry to hear this.

I found this race pretty tough, mainly because I did it last year, and paced myself accordingly. I had no idea what we had in store for us - maybe I should have looked at the route profile beforehand. I was pretty much done by the final water point, so the last few kms were pure pain.

Converging the routes at about 47kms just before the water crossing - what was that about? I don't mind the last 10kms, but there were nearly 30kms to go with people going at different speeds at times was a bit dangerous.

Some of the sections through the game reserve were really pretty and the new route is much more scenic than last years. But as for the riding, I found it generally either unremarkable or unrideable. Not enough really nice interesting single track sections. It quickly goes from dirt road or jeep track to gnarly technical that you can't even try ride because everyone around you is walking. For the most part it misses the sweet spot.

I don't think a race with so many people should involve so much portaging. But I do understand the organiser's difficulty in plotting a route (actually 4 routes) that are scenic, have the right level of technical challenge without being too hardcore, that flow nicely etc. It's a real challenge. Hopefully they can find a way to keep the routes more separate in the future.

I finished in 3:37 but my name is not on the results on the spectrum sports website.

Oh yea, saw a rather large buck nearly take out a guy just in front of me. It was like in that youtube video that went viral. I saw the buck flying across the veld at serious speed from a long way off, and thought oh **** here come another youtube. Fortunately the buck just missed him, because that one could have ended really seriously badly.

I had a blast, some tough climbs, horrible sludge crossing but all in all the route was better than the previous years.

Oh yeah, beer and the pregos at the end where damn tasty as well.

Saw a herd of Giraffe charging around like mad things, was expecting a gopro bok moment but luckily it didn't happen.

Besides a lekker fall as I came into the last straight, in front of all the spectators, it was a fun day out. Those climbs were tough for me as a recreational cyclist, but doable.

Just can't figure out why a lot of slower cyclists refuse to keep left .....not for me, but for the racing snakes. No wonder the faster guys get frustrated.

Spot on right there mate, the organisers should educated ALL riders and make them read the regulations ie.No3 Rules and safety...Fair Play. Slower riders must keep left especially if walking and know what the word 'track' means. To keep everyone happy, and I know it's not always possible, the organisers must keep the routes separate, it's as simple as that. As a rider who enjoys real technical stuff including the climbs, it's most frustrating when a whole bunch of people are blocking (walking the whole track full) a very rideable section and don't give a damn about anyone behind trying their best to ride it.

Now here is something to REALLY complain about. My Hilux Toyota got stolen during the race this morning.

That is rough..sorry to hear. Any idea how they did it? I have now become a little paranoid with my Toyota. I actually go back to physically try the door handle in case they have used another remote to block my remote.

Spot on right there mate, the organisers should educated ALL riders and make them read the regulations ie.No3 Rules and safety...Fair Play. Slower riders must keep left especially if walking and know what the word 'track' means. To keep everyone happy, and I know it's not always possible, the organisers must keep the routes separate, it's as simple as that. As a rider who enjoys real technical stuff including the climbs, it's most frustrating when a whole bunch of people are blocking (walking the whole track full) a very rideable section and don't give a damn about anyone behind trying their best to ride it.

I would think that's a bit harsh, not just maybe that they are also trying their hardest to get to the top and get to the finish as quick as possible? In their case it means walking ........ I also walk at times and will get out of the way where possible but I'm not gonna climb a thorn tree to give an oke space, but ja that's just me

Wow but people are never happy with anything in life. So the race was 5km longer booohooo! Landowners pull out at the last minute many times on these races and things need be adjusted. If it was to technical or to tough then guess what mountain biking is not for you...Crater Cruise is coming up sure that won't be to technical but then again most of the whiners on here will complain about the last 20km of corrugated road

I agree with all said here but you still get fuk nuts out there.

My other half was doing the half marathon with one of her buddies. Said buddy, also a girl was climbing past walking riders. As she passed them she wanted to go left buy was waiting for the safest opportunity to do so.

When she went left a race snake from the 70 passed her and just pushed her to the left. She fell and hit het knee quite bad.

Now that is not the game. We all should share the trails. If you not racing for the podium shut the fuk up and wait for the gap to come and then pass.

Too the pusher. If I had to see you push my girlfriend like that and find you again, I will take every spoke you have in your wheels and drive them into your body. What you did is not cool. You deserve a broken leg on your next ride. And while you lying there a few chicks need to step on your balls you.

Cheers

Edited by Meentb

Did you see how terrified the kids were with 1000 agro 40 and 70km riders screaming past them?

Now that is not the game. We all should share the trails. If you not racing for the podium shut the fuk up and wait for the gap to come and then pass.

Cheers

I feel sorry for your gf/wife because I am usually in the same position. If all 40km riders slog on/walk the same pace on the 40km route you hardly expect faster riders to also want to share the track.

But place the blame on a lazy organiser who didnt bother to scout for more trails to seperate the 2 distances. Who in their right mind merges the long and short distances for the last 37km? It's a recipe for disaster and fritz and his team should've known better, shame on you guys. Last year's route was fine.

Hope she heals up quick.

Bottom line is you had too many riders, of too many skill and speed levels, trying to share too much of the same track.

The organizers are to blame here - simple. Put hundreds of people with different goals and ambitions in one tight place at the same time, and the Poo is going to hit the fan, and by the sounds of it, it did.

As for the route, I liked the riding, it was a proper MTB route. Maybe parts of it a bit rough for novices but that's what the shorter routes should accommodate.

I'll say it again, joining all 3 routes at that stage of the race.... WHAT were u guys thinking Tim!?!?

I agree with all said here but you still get fuk nuts out there.

My other half was doing the half marathon with one of her buddies. Said buddy, also a girl was climbing past walking riders. As she passed them she wanted to go left buy was waiting for the safest opportunity to do so.

When she went left a race snake from the 70 passed her and just pushed her to the left. She fell and hit het knee quite bad.

Too the pusher. If I had to see you push my girlfriend like that and find you again, I will take every spoke you have in your wheels and drive them into your body. What you did is not cool. You deserve a broken neck on your next ride. And while you lying there a few chicks need to step on your balls you fuk nut.

Cheers

not cool - death threats ??? Gees maybe its wrong but your response is a bit extreme Idd say