Which 29 dual sus for a mature rider?

i24

Hi Hubbers

This is my first post here. I am looking to upgrade to a 29 dual suspension. I ride for fun and I ride quite regularly but I am on the grey side of 50 and not particularly fast. About half my distance is on tar, getting to Tokai and back, and riding the Argus once year. The rest on the mountain, jeep tracks and easier single track. I have hopes to cover more distance in the mountains, if I can find time while the body still works. I currently ride a Merida Matts hard tail with 80mm travel forks and V-brakes. It handles the tar fine, the uphills are OK but the decents are quite rough.

But now I think it is time to upgrade. I have been looking around, dual suspension is a good idea for the not so young. 100mm travel would be adequate. I ride a large frame so a 29'er would suit me. I am not woried about saving a kg or two and an aluminium frame is durable.

I am would like some suspension technology that saves energy on the climbs, gears that change cleanly and technology that does not need too much maintainance. Other than that I am looking for a reliable ride and a good comfortable setup. I don't have space for two bikes in the garage - this one has got to do it all.

I am happy with my current 3x9 gears (I would probably be happy with 3x8). 3x10 seems to have more scope for issues, especially when the chain gets crossed from big to small sprockets. How much of a compromise are the ratios on 2x10? How much more maintenance does a 10 speed chain need? Does anybody still sell 3x9?

I am happy to spend R20k to R30k. Question, what should I buy?

The Specialized Epic looks realy good, but I fear that it is way beyond my abilities. It is built for speed and there may be compromises in comfort and maintainability that don't suit my needs. Besides its probably 25% more expensive than I actually need to spend and I am not sure if it is cool to ride slowly on such a quick bike. (Not that I would care, provided it actually suits my requirements).

Giant Anthem's are well priced at the moment. I don't know how much maintenance the Maestro suspension will need in the future. How well does it work on the climbs, or do you still need lock-out settings on the shock? It does not have through axel attachments on the hubs - would I be missing out on something?

The Scott Sparc goes with remote lock-out. It just looks a bit fiddly and there are some reports of shock reliability problems. But maybe it would work for me.

Merida seems a bit behind with 29'ers, there are not so many around. Otherwise they look similar to the Scott.

Or is there something out there that I have missed completely?

Every time I start looking carefully around the local bike shops, there is sales pressure to close a deal on something thats on the floor. This makes me nervous and want to crawl out and ride my old bike for another season...

Has anybody got comments or suggestions?

Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want one of these when i get to 50.You will keep up with the best of them :whistling: :ph34r:

http://www.departures-international.com/typo3temp/pics/2216ec28b8.jpg

Hell, I want one now...

Anthem X29.

It's designed to be a long ride cruiser, designed for all day riding and stage races.

Lockout isn't necessary on climbs, the RP2/23 doesn't have a lockout feature, only "Pro Pedal" mode.

I leave my RP23 in pro pedal mode all the time.

The front fork has a through axle. (Not too sure about the 2013 models, but I would assume so)

Maestro suspension makes use of sealed bearings, and is low maintenance. Maintenance is mostly dependent on riding conditions.

I think in your case, I wouldn't worry too much about servicing the maestro suspension system often.

Keep in mind that there is lots of bearings used in this suspension design and that replacing them will get a bit expensive.

Buying bearings and doing a DIY job will cost you around R600.

Hope this helps.

My Anthem is the best bike I've ever owned.

Edited by Dubber88

My 2cw.

The Merida's and Scotts are racing geometry. Maestro just works. If you like Spez, check out the Stumpjumper instead, more comfortable upright ride. 3x9 is history. Most friends I know who went from 3x9 to 2x10, have not battled with gear ratios, mostly due to a 36 tooth cassette at the back. Going from a 26er hardtail with vbrakes and 80mm travel, to a ds 29er with disc brakes and generally 100mm front and back, is a huge jump. As a rule, ds bikes do require more maintenance with pivots and bearings, so expect it. Try and ride some bikes if you can. Once you decide, have a proper set up done to maximise comfort.

And yes, going to a 29er is an upgrade. Some say you might even feel you have newly acquired Super powers.. I still ride 3x9 on my 29 ds with a non tapered quick release fork and I have not been struck by lightning yet... I still occasionally ride my awesome 5 inch travel 26er ds bike, to remind me what it felt to ride a bmx back in the day. My flamesuit is zipped up and my tongue is firmly in my cheek. Be prepared to be criticised by the 29er haters, there are a few around here.

By the one that makes you smile the most. Us toppies must enjoy it while we can..

Anthem X29.

It's designed to be a long ride cruiser, designed for all day riding and stage races.

Lockout isn't necessary on climbs, the RP2/23 doesn't have a lockout feature, only "Pro Pedal" mode.

I leave my RP23 in pro pedal mode all the time.

The front fork has a through axle. (Not too sure about the 2013 models, but I would assume so)

Maestro suspension makes use of sealed bearings, and is low maintenance. Maintenance is mostly dependent on riding conditions.

I think in your case, I wouldn't worry too much about servicing the maestro suspension system often.

Keep in mind that there is lots of bearings used in this suspension design and that replacing them will get a bit expensive.

Buying bearings and doing a DIY job will cost you around R600.

Hope this helps.

My Anthem is the best bike I've ever owned.

Like the man said .Anthem all the way .You don,t need all that lockout .Once setup correctly ,they are great bikes.I also went from merida matts 26 v braks to anthem 29 .Best move i ever made.You can build a pyga oneten for your 35k .Both these bike have excellent resale value also Edited by Blitzer

Guest Kalahari ou

Just saying....

Welcome to the hub!!!!!!!

Don't overlook the Giant Trance 29er because you can't see it through the wood of Anthems clogging up the bikeshop showroom.

It's got a more relaxed upright geometry than the Anthem, longer travel (easier on the back and bum), is more forgiving when it comes to technical riding (it'll save your bacon more often than an Anthem) and climbs rather well. Also, it's not that much heavier than the Anthem and, I think, more of a bike for someone that just wants to ride and enjoy as opposed to doing races and marathon stuff.

My (biased) 2c

Edited by DJR

In the 20 to 30k category my choice would be the Specialized Camber 29 (Comp carbon if you can afford it) . The big differences are that the slightly more expensive Comp carbon comes with a Reba 100mm fork instead of the coil spring fork on the entry level bike and the fox float CTD with autosag is also much better than the Monarch. The brakes and shifters are also a step up from the entry level ones. Why the Camber instead of the Epic?

On the entry level bikes spec is very similar, but the geometry is a bit more relaxed and you tend to be slightly more upright. I ride the Stumpy FSR 29er and also almost automatically thought to get the Epic until I rode both the Camber and the Stumpy FSR. While the Epic is a fast bike with the goal to get you as efficient as possible, I tend to enjoy the extra travel on the Stumpy FSR. If I was looking for something slightly tamer that would be as comfy, it would be the Camber.

The Giant Anthem is not a bad second choice, but the frames are prone to cracking at the joint just below the seatpost clamp. While its ok to get a new frame every 12 months or so, you end up paying for rebuilds etc.

A great dual suspension 29er is the Ellsworth Evolve, the suspension on that thing is amazing!!! Might be a challenge to keep the total cost below 30k though.

If you want a low maintenance dual suspension 29er, Santa Cruz Superlight 29 is an option.

Edited by Brian Fantana

My dad is almost 70 and loves his Epic.

Rode Sani on a 29er epic (first time ever riding a 29er) and he was super happy.

Camber is definitely a good option.

Follow link below to best bikes on the planet! (In my opinion)

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/

On the Pro 29er HT hands down better than any carbon bike I've had the joy of riding. Can't say anything about the dual sus as I haven't ridden one yet, keen to get one for longer stage races.

Same price bracket as specialized just that the frame ain't gonna fatigue and u get a lifetime guarantee on it anyway.

In the 20 to 30k category my choice would be the Specialized Camber 29 (Comp carbon if you can afford it) . The big differences are that the slightly more expensive Comp carbon comes with a Reba 100mm fork instead of the coil spring fork on the entry level bike and the fox float CTD with autosag is also much better than the Monarch. The brakes and shifters are also a step up from the entry level ones. Why the Camber instead of the Epic?

On the entry level bikes spec is very similar, but the geometry is a bit more relaxed and you tend to be slightly more upright. I ride the Stumpy FSR 29er and also almost automatically thought to get the Epic until I rode both the Camber and the Stumpy FSR. While the Epic is a fast bike with the goal to get you as efficient as possible, I tend to enjoy the extra travel on the Stumpy FSR. If I was looking for something slightly tamer that would be as comfy, it would be the Camber.

The Giant Anthem is not a bad second choice, but the frames are prone to cracking at the joint just below the seatpost clamp. While its ok to get a new frame every 12 months or so, you end up paying for rebuilds etc.

What a load of BS .All of it !

What a load of BS .All of it !

I think GLovesMTB's post was quite logical?

The Giant Anthem crack prone area might be solved with the newer frames, which is the only point one can argue, if you really want to.

The rest makes perfect sense.

Edited by Brian Fantana