Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I then pulled the pork...put it on a toasted ciabatta with a smokey mayo sauce and made pulled pork sammijes. Served with slaw and a potato salad.

i havent done that for a while..... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Found an awesome date ball recipe (will see how they handle a few hours in the back pocket):

250g block dates roughly pulled apart

2 tablespoons cocoa

1/4 cup almonds

1/4 cup coconut

1 teaspoon water

1 tablespoon honey

Put nuts in blender and then add the rest of the ingredients (makes a heck of a noise) and then roll spoon fulls into balls and put in the fridge. The recipe suggested adding orange rind too - may try this when they're in season again.

Found an awesome date ball recipe (will see how they handle a few hours in the back pocket):

250g block dates roughly pulled apart

2 tablespoons cocoa

1/4 cup almonds

1/4 cup coconut

1 teaspoon water

1 tablespoon honey

Put nuts in blender and then add the rest of the ingredients (makes a heck of a noise) and then roll spoon fulls into balls and put in the fridge. The recipe suggested adding orange rind too - may try this when they're in season again.

Damn, that sounds yummy!

Sounds almost like Hilda from 7de laan's Dadel vingertjies, lol :ph34r: :whistling:

• 7 months later...

Beef Teriyaki

Ingredients:

- 1 lb. steak, sliced thinly

- 2 tbsp mirin

- 2 tbsp soy sauce

- 2 tbsp olive oil

- sesame seeds for garnishing

- spring onion for garnishing

For Teriyaki sauce:

- 1/4 cup soy sauce

- 1/4 cup mirin

- 4 tbsp brown sugar

- 2 tbsp cooking wine

- 1 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 1 tbsp water

Instructions:

1. Slice the beef thinly across the grain. Marinate it in soy sauce and mirin for about 30 minutes in the fridge.

2. In a nonstick pan, add in olive oil. Add the beef in and stir fry for about 5 minutes over medium heat until it is lightly browned. Set it aside on a platter.

3. In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, mirin, cooking wine, and the brown sugar. Stir if over medium low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Then, add in the diluted cornstarch and stir constantly until it bubbles and the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat.

4. Pour the sauce over the beef. Garnish it with spring onions and sesame seeds.

5. Serve and enjoy!

http://www.kusinamaster.net/2014/10/beef-teriyaki.html

post-33824-0-94152700-1413349188_thumb.jpg

Made a pretty lekker ostrich disting last night.

4 ostrich fillets (small ones) cut into large cubes

125g bacon (diced)

butter

diced onion

3 tsp brown sugar

peas (1 cup)

4 medium tomatoes (diced)

Glass of red

1l water

Place large pan on medium heat and put a bit of butter in it. Sweat the onions till they're translucent. Add the bacon and continue frying till the bacon is cooked and has some good colour on it.

Add the tomatoes and fry off for 5 minutes

add the sugar and stir until incorporated and the sugar had caramelised a bit.

add the wine and simmer until reduced.

Add peas and 250mlwater and simmer till reduced

repeat until you have 250 ml left. Switch to high heat.

While reducing, pre heat a thick bottomed pan and prep ostrich with salt and pepper. When final 250 ml has been added to bacon mix, start frying off the ostrich in a little olive oil, to medium rare (should be about 2 mins per side at most)

Remove both pans from heat and add the ostrich to the top of the pea / bacon mix taking care to add the juices from frying the ostrich, and rest for 5 minutes.

Serve with your choice of veggies.

I did potato rosti and gemsquash.

You all are welcome to chew my head off about what I'm going to say.......

.......rat-pack type food has improved BIG TIME since I last got forced to eat it many years ago. We tried some Backcountry Cuisine Spaghetti Bolognaise from Outdoow Warehouse on a recent paddling trip. It wasn't half bad. It's basically dried stuff that you add boiling water to and let stand for 10 minutes - voila - dinner ready. It's almost like 2 minute noodles for adventure racers, mtbikers, paddlers, hikers and climbers. You don't even need a pot. (On the other hand, I might have just been really hungry) 

Edited by DJR

• 1 month later...

Also l recently invested in an uber gadget. I must say i am very impressed.

My wife has made a 3 course meal every night this last week in less than an hour.

Not only that, but we are able to increase our kids veg intake drastically.

Our last weekly geocery shop was half the price. So we will pay for the machine in no time at all with the savings.

All our meals this last week have been nutritios and wholesome. No preservatives or artificial ingredients

Loving my Thermomix.

post-18409-1417371008,9178.jpg

What wood do u use?

I smoked beef brisket a week ago, using peach wood.

Made a brine and let it soak for 24hrs in the fridge then put a dry rub on and smoked it for 14hrs at 120 deg.

i did the pork with apple wood chips. Also injected the butt with applejuice and rub. Then dry rubbed it and left it for 24. Then in the smoker for 18 hours. It will be done tomorrow at 5 am.

Also made a homemade bbq sauce. Baked some ciabattas and made a spicy aioli...

Kids are getting pulled pork rolls for lunch tomorrow. ..beats the hell out of the peanut butter sarmies i got as a kid.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

My wife has made a 3 course meal every night this last week in less than an hour.

Our last weekly geocery shop was half the price. So we will pay for the machine in no time at all with the savings.

All our meals this last week have been nutritios and wholesome. No preservatives or artificial ingredients

Loving my Thermomix.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1417371004956.jpg

My wife got her new one (i see you have the touch screen) a couple of weeks ago as she is a consultant.

It really is a wow gadget. People balk at the price, but real world posts like this wake people up to what it can do.

I have given away every other blender/shredder/mixer grater that we had.

And she makes all sorts of things in it - hand cream, lip balm, bath salts. Yoghurt is fresh every couple of days. Granola etc.

Lookng for recipes for bum cream now.

Loving my Thermomix.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1417371004956.jpg

Just curious, Wayne - how does it decrease your grocery spend? V interesting, if that's the case

Just curious, Wayne - how does it decrease your grocery spend? V interesting, if that's the case

The only thing I can think of is less wastage (but 50% is a hell of a high wastage number) and possibly shrinkage (steaming not boiling), or possibly everybody is enjoying the food so much less pre-made crap is being bought?

I am keen to know too, along with where can you get them and for how much.