Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

After... well... what can I say. THE BEST YET. 

I recently acquired a dual-zone salter bluetooth thermometer. One meat probe, one oven sensor. Max temp of 260 deg C. Used that yesterday to regulate the temp inside the weber, and check for doneness on the pork. Set an alarm for 63deg (right temp for pork) and another alarm for 150deg for the weber. Was happily smoking along for about 90 min at a steady 150, and then I closed the vents fully for the final 30 min while it was climbing to the 63deg target. Temp stabilised at 140, but I could watch it drop every few seconds in response to the reduced airflow. 

This is a game changer. WOW. 

And the meat... OMFS the meat. When the fat is not quite liquid yet not quite gelatinous in texture, and it just melts as it hits your tongue... the smoke from the hickory was PERFECT, and it sliced (so cliche) like butter. 

When it was done, took the lid off, put the skin on top of the direct heat of the briquettes, took the belly off to rest and then opened the vents up fully to get the fat crackled. up

OMFS.

Sounds fantastic. Next to a well prepared venison fillet, pork belly surely must surely rate up there as one of lifes great pleasures.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just one question. does the smell / taste from the burning brickets not spoil the flavour? I hate the smell of brickets which is why i usually use charcoal.

And the meat... OMFS the meat. When the fat is not quite liquid yet not quite gelatinous in texture, and it just melts as it hits your tongue... the smoke from the hickory was PERFECT, and it sliced (so cliche) like butter. 

When it was done, took the lid off, put the skin on top of the direct heat of the briquettes, took the belly off to rest and then opened the vents up fully to get the fat crackled. 

OMFS. 

Well that's all fine and dandy and I'm sure it tasted delicious, but I see no need for you to take the good people from the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in Melbourne, Australia, in vain in such a way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.. so I made the nicest lamb stew yesterday..(in the pressure cooker of course..cause damn that thing was worth cashing in in the smart shopper points)..so it said serve with quinoa, cous cous of basmati rice.. figured I'd give the quinoa a try.. Holy crap.. at R140 for 500g (uncooked) and even though it is healthy and not bad tasting bla bla bla ..there is no way in hell I will buy that again..that is ridiculously expensive... tastes good I cooked in chicken stock and chucked in some herbs.

But back to the lamb stew.. mmm very nice.. here is the recipe

https://www.feastingathome.com/instant-pot-middle-eastern-lamb-stew/

d4001f044859452b6cccbd6d21f5276b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Okay.. so I made the nicest lamb stew yesterday..(in the pressure cooker of course..cause damn that thing was worth cashing in in the smart shopper points)..so it said serve with quinoa, cous cous of basmati rice.. figured I'd give the quinoa a try.. Holy crap.. at R140 for 500g (uncooked) and even though it is healthy and not bad tasting bla bla bla ..there is no way in hell I will buy that again..that is ridiculously expensive... tastes good I cooked in chicken stock and chucked in some herbs.

But back to the lamb stew.. mmm very nice.. here is the recipe

https://www.feastingathome.com/instant-pot-middle-eastern-lamb-stew/

d4001f044859452b6cccbd6d21f5276b.jpg

Quinoa..expensive and urgh,falls into the same category as Bulgar wheat for me.I know its not as healthy but good quality basmati is the best.I do love a lamb stew.I normally serve with potatoes instead

Quinoa..expensive and urgh,falls into the same category as Bulgar wheat for me.I know its not as healthy but good quality basmati is the best.I do love a lamb stew.I normally serve with potatoes instead

Yeah I normally use Basmati too...felt like trying something new and getting more nourishment into those growing boys..but damn that's just crazy expensive and currently feeding 5 people of which 2 are teenage boys I definitely can't afford Quinoa on a regular basis [emoji23][emoji23]

But the Lamb stew was really good...you should try it[emoji39]

Yeah I normally use Basmati too...felt like trying something new and getting more nourishment into those growing boys..but damn that's just crazy expensive and currently feeding 5 people of which 2 are teenage boys I definitely can't afford Quinoa on a regular basis [emoji23][emoji23]

I will

It looks like a nice recipe.No pressure cooker tho.After what I spent on my pots I cant afford one

I will

It looks like a nice recipe.No pressure cooker tho.After what I spent on my pots I cant afford one

Suppose you would just need to adjust the liquid then..haven't figured out the formula but assume if you double the liquid then it should be fine?

We like red Camargue rice from France, but it is also pretty pricey. Much healthier than white rice though. We often make a mix of red, brown and wild rice. It tastes a zillion times better than white. Has a somewhat nutty flavour. In Cape Town we buy from Komati Foods in Observatory and then it works out very reasonably. Not sure where else they have stores. Also good for all matter of exotic things like quinoa, nuts, dates, dried figs and so on.

We like red Camargue rice from France, but it is also pretty pricey. Much healthier than white rice though. We often make a mix of red, brown and wild rice. It tastes a zillion times better than white. Has a somewhat nutty flavour. In Cape Town we buy from Komati Foods in Observatory and then it works out very reasonably. Not sure where else they have stores. Also good for all matter of exotic things like quinoa, nuts, dates, dried figs and so on.

There are two foods that I indulge in and dont do the whole wheat,brown, wild thing...thats good Italian pasta and good quality Indian or Pakistani basmati.I like the taste of white basmati rice.Brown and wild I am not fond of..

Oh and Hokkien or Udon noodles in stir fry

Edited by Kranswurm

There are two foods that I indulge in and dont do the whole wheat,brown, wild thing...thats good Italian pasta and good quality Indian or Pakistani basmati.I like the taste of white basmati rice.Brown and wild I am not fond of..

Oh and Hokkien or Udon noodles in stir fry

Like my pasta and Basmati as well

After... well... what can I say. THE BEST YET. 

I recently acquired a dual-zone salter bluetooth thermometer. One meat probe, one oven sensor. Max temp of 260 deg C. Used that yesterday to regulate the temp inside the weber, and check for doneness on the pork. Set an alarm for 63deg (right temp for pork) and another alarm for 150deg for the weber. Was happily smoking along for about 90 min at a steady 150, and then I closed the vents fully for the final 30 min while it was climbing to the 63deg target. Temp stabilised at 140, but I could watch it drop every few seconds in response to the reduced airflow. 

This is a game changer. WOW. 

When it was done, took the lid off, put the skin on top of the direct heat of the briquettes, took the belly off to rest and then opened the vents up fully to get the fat crackled. 

OMFS. 

Im looking to buy a dual bt thermometer but I see on Takealot they say in the reviews the salter only works with the UK app which does not work in SA,is this the case with yours as well?

When slicing an onion don't cut off the root base till right at the end. 

When removing the root base is when the onion begins to bleed and make you cry! 

Alternatively, you can wear swimming goggles while working with onions or cooking up some chilly sauce!