Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

When slicing an onion don't cut off the root base till right at the end. 

When removing the root base is when the onion begins to bleed and make you cry! 

Alternatively, you can wear swimming goggles while working with onions or cooking up some chilly sauce! 

I will test that tonight...the root not the goggles

Another way is to cut on the sink next to a running tap....not allowed in Slaapstad

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. My. SACK. 

Belly ribs, on the weber. Snake method. Hickory wood chips. 

I put the ribs on the weber at 18h00, close the lid, then 20 min later I get a call from my mate to say "come, we're going out" 

Lekker. Ask him what time, he says 19h30. Cool. By that time they'd have been on there for an hour, nice and low. When I leave, I close the vents so that there's just the barest sliver of airflow. Get back at 21h30, and the coals are still chugging along nicely, and the ribs are done to a reasonable level, given the temp, but they needed more time. 

Took them off the grill, wrapped them in foil (while the lid is off, giving the fire a bit more air to heat it up lekker) and then put em back on. Leave the vents at their ever so slightly open level, and go to sleep. 

Wake up this morning, and I go outside to get them off the grill for lunch and dinner. Coals have all expired, now, with one or two that didn't burn through entirely. Take them out the foil, and pick one rack up to put it in my lunchbox. OOPS! There goes a bone! So I have a section, you know, for testers and it's breakfast time, so why not, eh?

Fark. My. Life. These things are gorgeous. Tender as fark, meat just slipping apart like it's held together by just the will of the now gelatinous interconnective tissue. 

In total - 3h indirect heat @ 100 deg / 110 deg. About another 4 wrapped in foil. 

I need to experiment more....

Just on le Weber

post-3056-0-13528100-1529045977_thumb.jpg

When I came home (can see how far the coals have burned in 3 hours - there's still a whole layer of briquettes that didn't burn due to the airflow restriction)

post-3056-0-75315100-1529045983_thumb.jpg

This is them when I put the foil on.

post-3056-0-19499500-1529045992_thumb.jpg

Will add a pic of em now, when I take em out again. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

Man, I was really proud of my homemade pizza until I saw Captain Fantastic's post...

lZeLZEZ.jpg

That looks great.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Looks a bit burnt

Nope. Not at all. That was the rub that had turned a bit bark-ey, which is what happens when it's smoked for a long time and then placed in foil. 

Oh. My. SACK. 

Belly ribs, on the weber. Snake method. Hickory wood chips. 

I put the ribs on the weber at 18h00, close the lid, then 20 min later I get a call from my mate to say "come, we're going out" 

Lekker. Ask him what time, he says 19h30. Cool. By that time they'd have been on there for an hour, nice and low. When I leave, I close the vents so that there's just the barest sliver of airflow. Get back at 21h30, and the coals are still chugging along nicely, and the ribs are done to a reasonable level, given the temp, but they needed more time. 

Took them off the grill, wrapped them in foil (while the lid is off, giving the fire a bit more air to heat it up lekker) and then put em back on. Leave the vents at their ever so slightly open level, and go to sleep. 

Wake up this morning, and I go outside to get them off the grill for lunch and dinner. Coals have all expired, now, with one or two that didn't burn through entirely. Take them out the foil, and pick one rack up to put it in my lunchbox. OOPS! There goes a bone! So I have a section, you know, for testers and it's breakfast time, so why not, eh?

Fark. My. Life. These things are gorgeous. Tender as fark, meat just slipping apart like it's held together by just the will of the now gelatinous interconnective tissue. 

In total - 3h indirect heat @ 100 deg / 110 deg. About another 4 wrapped in foil. 

I need to experiment more....

Just on le Weber

attachicon.gif9958f6a5-571f-45f9-9aee-5589bbddcfbc.jpg

When I came home (can see how far the coals have burned in 3 hours - there's still a whole layer of briquettes that didn't burn due to the airflow restriction)

attachicon.gif66ad8bc9-b3ee-4fb2-ba45-c9318a06ad20.jpg

This is them when I put the foil on.

attachicon.gif30252488-5f1d-41e0-9462-fdc3a12b9190.jpg

Will add a pic of em now, when I take em out again. 

what's the snake method. Is that where you put the meat on and then go upstairs with your choice of intimate companion?

That looks really good, think I will use that method for my Christmas Ham this year, you think that will work?

Absolutely. If you need more temp, add more coal and airflow. That's the lekker thing about webers. All that is controllable.