Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Now that I know how to make pulled pork sandwiches, I'm never going to stop.daf4f841a059a026a943c45eaf4641b7.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Now try making an apple coleslaw and put the coleslaw on the sandwich. Best flavour combo ever.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now try making an apple coleslaw and put the coleslaw on the sandwich. Best flavour combo ever.

Does it count if I drink a Savanna?

Was feeling a little peckish so did this (on the 18th)

Was supposed to have help, but none of them pitched so I called a mate to come and help carve around 16:00. Took us just over 90 minutes to carve all three - sharp knives only, as it should be.

post-29544-0-34166900-1527498752_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-22088600-1527498753_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-23005600-1527498754_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-26144800-1527498755_thumb.jpeg

Fed 198 people comfortably.

I made pork belly and damn, it came out good. Slightly over caramelized (though I'm choosing to call it Cajun blackened style  :whistling: ). I used a lazy version Gordon Ramsay's recipe, by grilling it in the oven rather than in a frying pan before cooking it with chicken stock. Also, instead of his spices I used a dry rub before the time and then added a meat marinade and BBQ sauce before putting it in the oven for the flavour.

I'm happy with it but taking everything into consideration I have to say I still prefer pulled pork. It's just so much more versatile.

https://www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/slow-roasted-pork-belly/

Z7gdPl4.jpg

I'm happy with it but taking everything into consideration I have to say I still prefer pulled pork. It's just so much more versatile.

Was feeling a little peckish so did this (on the 18th)

Was supposed to have help, but none of them pitched so I called a mate to come and help carve around 16:00. Took us just over 90 minutes to carve all three - sharp knives only, as it should be.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2018-05-18 at 20.47.58.jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2018-05-18 at 20.48.13 (2).jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2018-05-18 at 20.48.13 (1).jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2018-05-18 at 20.48.13.jpeg

Fed 198 people comfortably.

YOH that's a lot of food. What was it all for? 198 is a lot of mouths to feed. 

I made pork belly and damn, it came out good. Slightly over caramelized (though I'm choosing to call it Cajun blackened style  :whistling: ). I used a lazy version Gordon Ramsay's recipe, by grilling it in the oven rather than in a frying pan before cooking it with chicken stock. Also, instead of his spices I used a dry rub before the time and then added a meat marinade and BBQ sauce before putting it in the oven for the flavour.

https://www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/slow-roasted-pork-belly/

Z7gdPl4.jpg

I'm making belly tonight. Removed the skin cap, salted, peppered and smoked paprika'd it, removed the belly ribs as well, so that I can cook those up slightly differently. 

It's going in the weber with some hickory wood chips, and I'm using the snake method to cook it low and slow. Putting the skin on top of the belly to protect the fat cap and also expose it to some smoke, and then gonna crisp it up with my blowtorch. 

Will post pics later. 

This thread, and the braai thread must be a Vegans nightmare :ph34r: :whistling:

Saying that, I bought another pork shank the other day, so I'll be doing another Eisbein soon.

Wish I could go on a hunt this year (work doesn't allow, too busy), post pics of the prey and do a moerse spitbraai just to cheese - they don't eat that either -  them vegans off while wearing a mohair onderbroek and socks. Hunting is mos a gateway drug for murder...  :cursing: 

I'm making belly tonight. Removed the skin cap, salted, peppered and smoked paprika'd it, removed the belly ribs as well, so that I can cook those up slightly differently. 

It's going in the weber with some hickory wood chips, and I'm using the snake method to cook it low and slow. Putting the skin on top of the belly to protect the fat cap and also expose it to some smoke, and then gonna crisp it up with my blowtorch. 

Will post pics later. 

:w00t:  If I get a 4pm flight, will I make it in time? 

:drool:

Lol. Welcome to, if you bring a bottle of whiskey.

Even better! Speyside or islay? Or even a nice little bourbon?

After... well... what can I say. THE BEST YET. 

I recently acquired a dual-zone salter bluetooth thermometer. One meat probe, one oven sensor. Max temp of 260 deg C. Used that yesterday to regulate the temp inside the weber, and check for doneness on the pork. Set an alarm for 63deg (right temp for pork) and another alarm for 150deg for the weber. Was happily smoking along for about 90 min at a steady 150, and then I closed the vents fully for the final 30 min while it was climbing to the 63deg target. Temp stabilised at 140, but I could watch it drop every few seconds in response to the reduced airflow. 

This is a game changer. WOW. 

And the meat... OMFS the meat. When the fat is not quite liquid yet not quite gelatinous in texture, and it just melts as it hits your tongue... the smoke from the hickory was PERFECT, and it sliced (so cliche) like butter. 

When it was done, took the lid off, put the skin on top of the direct heat of the briquettes, took the belly off to rest and then opened the vents up fully to get the fat crackled. 

OMFS.