Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Did another Eisbein for the Mrs and I, over the weekend. Instead of using garlic cloves, which is part of the recipe I followed previously, I added a few teaspoons of crushed garlic and herbs - still turned out noms.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

How long do you cook it and at what temperature? I don't have a lot of experience with eisbeins. 

I found this recipe that says about 3 hours at about 175C. Does that seem about right to you? I don't think this guy used pickled or smoked eisbeins, though.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222015/grillhaxe-grilled-eisbein-pork-shanks/

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long do you cook it and at what temperature? I don't have a lot of experience with eisbeins. 

I found this recipe that says about 3 hours at about 175C. Does that seem about right to you? I don't think this guy used pickled or smoked eisbeins, though.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222015/grillhaxe-grilled-eisbein-pork-shanks/

Boiled it for an hour, then roasted it at 190 for an hour and a half. You can keep it in the oven for an extra 20 minutes and up the temperature to 218 if you want to, just to get that extra crispiness.

Boiled it for an hour, then roasted it at 190 for an hour and a half. You can keep it in the oven for an extra 20 minutes and up the temperature to 218 if you want to, just to get that extra crispiness.

Thanks!

Campfire pies otherwise known as braaibroodjies!!!  :thumbup:  

Done a few of those on the braai, but not enough of them. First time turned out a flop, did okay the next two times, but nothing to write home about.

Yesterday started with a pork shoulder, rubbed with spices, and ended several hours later in a pulled pork burger. 8e298d1dd0b917ce744b9231469364c6.jpg62e69fedbfd86774c056ab7b6addc56b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Sploosh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a large whole snoek (about 1.8kg) that we want to try and bake in the oven in foil with butter and apricot jam. Any tips? We have almost no experience with fish. I've seen everything from 20 minutes at 180c to 30 minutes at 200c recommended.

And are we supposed to cut it open before we spread on the butter and apricot jam?

We have a large whole snoek (about 1.8kg) that we want to try and bake in the oven in foil with butter and apricot jam. Any tips? We have almost no experience with fish. I've seen everything from 20 minutes at 180c to 30 minutes at 200c recommended.

And are we supposed to cut it open before we spread on the butter and apricot jam?

Is the fish cleaned?

Is the fish cleaned?

I think so. Well, at least the head has been cut off! This is what it looks like:9f24d40a1a10cc9fe2114b8aead5d82a.jpg