Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

To the Foodies...

I got some fresh tuna fillet. Apart from sushi, any suggestions please? (preferably for my Weber...)

Use the same ingredients you use for sushi.

I cut the steaks lekker thick, 3cm at least.

Sprinkle them with olive oil, low sodium soy sauce and sesame seeds.

Then I grill them very quickly over hot coals. Mere minutes.

Basically just sear the outside but leave the inside as sushi as you can

Then serve with a wasabi mayonnaise, made to taste.

If you like the burn of wasabi, add more of it to the mayonnaise, if not, keep it mild

It goes well with a fresh salad or with asparagus

And it needs a good white wine. Can handle a wooded white.

(I'm only telling you this because you are too far away for me to come over and help you cook and EAT them!)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like the burn of wasabi, add more of it to the mayonnaise, if not, keep it mild

(I'm only telling you this because you are too far away for me to come over and help you cook and EAT them!)

:D  :D  :D  Thanks DJ. Will try out.

Sounds like my kinda meal, but I have some "not-so-educated" friends...

So I think... I'll just keep those for myself, and just serve them some (common) rump.

Thanks. Kindly elaborate on the "tropical fruit salsa"?

Almost like a fruit salad, use paw paw, pineapple, mango, some red onion, all chopped, a bit of coriander, chopped chili if you want a bite, then a sprinkle of maldon salt and a little good vinegar of your choice. Freshens the palette nicely Edited by MphatiPyga

DJ!! Absobloodylutely awesome...

I overdid them some on the grill, but it was my first time, so I was happily forgiven.

We had some prawns I also had to get rid of, was getting old in the freezer... which was done in my standard lemon-garlic-butter sauce.

post-57300-0-99730300-1537105263_thumb.jpg

We didn't do the mayonnaise, simply because ... uhh, I don't know why. Maybe the wine caught up - it was a Sauvignon Blanc though...

When we dished up, the tuna was a bit dry (slightly overdone like I said, ja, ja, I'm sorry, sorry...)

post-57300-0-73028800-1537105277_thumb.jpg

But then... inspiration... had some of that "standard lemon-garlic-butter sauce" over the tuna. 

Oh. My. Word.

Divine is not the word. It was pure bliss. I have not eaten this lekker in plenty, pleeenty years, and I like food, I know meat, I braai literally every single weekend.... 

So thanks. I did not do your recipe, but you put me on track for something truly amazing and awesomely good.

(I'll do that mayo thing sometime, but I doubt it will be better. Thanks) 

• 1 month later...

Not sure why but I recently had this urge to experiment with fermented food. Going to start with sourdough bread. Want to make some fermented hotsauce as soon as my chilies are ripe and some infused honeys etc.

Nice recipe! Did you use normal onions or are there specific sweet ones to buy as recipe says sweet onions?

Used normal onions, actually last one used red onion and white, also added garlic

Edited by MphatiPyga

Not sure why but I recently had this urge to experiment with fermented food. Going to start with sourdough bread. Want to make some fermented hotsauce as soon as my chilies are ripe and some infused honeys etc.

Umami - the 5th taste sensation, is the reason why you suddenly have a yearning for fermented food. Read up a bit. It is found in all manner of fermented things, Marmite, yeasts, soy sauce and so on. We have separate taste receptors for it, and it is not just a combination  sensation of our salt/sweet/sour/bitter receptors. That is also the reason some fast food companies add MSG to their food - to stimulate the umami taste receptors. B.t.w. MSG also occurs naturally in many foods, so isn't always a bad thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

• 1 month later...

My sister in-law has a special talent when it comes to meringue ..

Every now and then I am lucky to stop by when she has some extra.. she earns an extra income making these ..but man they are just so tastyfc26c9bc439438e1e66ee20bdc28d2f7.jpg998a7c8a6a198c52caa4455e92d8f626.jpg5ed7b8b66a847353dcf29ce03d1ec022.jpgc45bd3909916d0a7ec59639b344c748c.jpg7795a9968719db075b33d335f1612ce5.jpg838f8fb4575a0be86c571e79ddcd7c9d.jpg

Edited by Gen

• 3 weeks later...

3 pork shanks which I purchased from one of the local butcheries today. Going to keep them frozen until New Years day, for when I cook Eisbein for our family get together.

I wanted to braai on New Years day, but was told to do Eisbein.

03d549d1750e5770d09cbfe49c722484.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So I picked up a couple of pigs cheeks at the local butcher this morning.

Has anybody got any good recipes / ways to cook them?

• 3 weeks later...