Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mwhua ha ha! Managed to "borrow" my sister's Romertopf clay cooker. She's never getting it back!

These things are awesome.

Edit: Not my photo (obviously).

8232e7c4ce746e83b0617f62fe267194.jpg

Yeah? Tell me more. 

Yeah? Tell me more. 

These things are amazing. You soak them in water before you use them. This allows the porous clay to absorb water which it releases during cooking. Therefore, you don't have to add as much fluid or extra oil as you would during normal cooking/roasts. You start off in a cold oven so the clay doesn't crack due to sudden temperature changes but since it releases moisture as it cooks, you are almost guaranteed that your roasts will be moist and succulent, no matter how long you cook it. And in the end you just take the lid off to get that crispy skin on your chicken, pork, etc.

You can read a bit about them here:

http://xn--rmertopf-n4a.com/english/vorteile_roemertopf.htm

These things are amazing. You soak them in water before you use them. This allows the porous clay to absorb water which it releases during cooking. Therefore, you don't have to add as much fluid or extra oil as you would during normal cooking/roasts. You start off in a cold oven so the clay doesn't crack due to sudden temperature changes but since it releases moisture as it cooks, you are almost guaranteed that your roasts will be moist and succulent, no matter how long you cook it. And in the end you just take the lid off to get that crispy skin on your chicken, pork, etc.

You can read a bit about them here:

http://xn--rmertopf-n4a.com/english/vorteile_roemertopf.htm

I wonder if one could get the same effect with using cast iron cookware, but with a bit more fluid?

I wonder if one could get the same effect with using cast iron cookware, but with a bit more fluid?

Ooh, I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough to answer that question. All I know is I roasted a chicken with veg last week in the Romertopf and it came out perfectly soft and moist, and I made my pulled pork this weekend and it was everything I had ever imagined it to be.

The idea with clay is that it's more of a steam than a boil. No need to submerge the cut of meat, so it develops that nice roasted texture without drying out or feeling boiled.. I had one, until I spilt cold water on the lid after cooking...  :mellow:

The idea with clay is that it's more of a steam than a boil. No need to submerge the cut of meat, so it develops that nice roasted texture without drying out or feeling boiled.. I had one, until I spilt cold water on the lid after cooking...  :mellow:

yeah... that's what I'm reading. 

But... Hmm. I dunno. Need to do more reading. And less buying!!!

Ouch. I'm still new to using it, so I didn't even realise it was supposed to go in a cold oven the first time I used it. Thankfully it survived. What amazes me is how hot and how long you can bake dishes without worrying it will dry out. Basically, once it's in the oven you can forget about it. When I roasted that chicken I wanted to cook veg with it, so I threw in some potatoes, carrots, onions, etc with some chicken stock. I think I had it in somewhere between 90 minutes and two hours at 220 to get the potatoes cooked, and the chicken was still cooked tender and juicy.

Mwhua ha ha! Managed to "borrow" my sister's Romertopf clay cooker. She's never getting it back!

These things are awesome.

Edit: Not my photo (obviously).

8232e7c4ce746e83b0617f62fe267194.jpg

Very nice for Moroccan Lamb Shanks.Beef is a bit insipid.

Very nice for Moroccan Lamb Shanks.Beef is a bit insipid.

That's good to know, thanks. I mostly cook pork and chicken these days, though. Trying to keep the costs down. Plus, pork and chicken are amazingly versatile once you start experimenting.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Just got this. Thanks, eBucks! Can also use it as a sous vide... 

Nice. We got an electric pressure cooker a while ago as well. Never really used it that much but this winter my brother learned how to make chicken soup in it. It's ridiculous: Throw in a whole chicken and about half an hour later you have chicken soup!

Just got this. Thanks, eBucks! Can also use it as a sous vide... 

49732225-zoom.jpg?1504084260

Got one the other day as well. Still trying to work out what all the buttons do

my electric pressure cooker gives off a terrible "elecrical" smell that gets into everything you cook. i dont use it any more. not sure if its just mine or if they are all like this. anybody else noticed this?

my electric pressure cooker gives off a terrible "elecrical" smell that gets into everything you cook. i dont use it any more. not sure if its just mine or if they are all like this. anybody else noticed this?

That doesn't sound right. Never noticed anything like that with ours.

Did another Eisbein for the Mrs and I, over the weekend. Instead of using garlic cloves, which is part of the recipe I followed previously, I added a few teaspoons of crushed garlic and herbs - still turned out noms.

76cc89d33cc726571f404c8308e57fdf.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk