Vasbyt!!!!!

Eddy Gordo

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never nice to hear. Good wishes and prayers to him and his family.

Was he DH'er? I always have the utmost of respect for the DH riders I encounter on the trails. The skill levels and temperament required are insane.

Edited by flymango

Apparently he wasnt wearing that neck protector DH'ers are supposed to be wearing for hyperextension accidents. I think this guy was also riding Jonkershoek in the morning.

Horrible to hear though, hope he recovers..

Very sad to hear, we take it for granted that we'll be OK and make it back home in one piece, safety first.

Edited by Warren_G

This is so sad and disheartening. I want to make the shift from road to mtb due to all the people getting mowed down and now this happens. I just dont know if cycling is worth all the risk anymore.

Hope he recovers soon.

Sad story. Early 20's, still has lots of MTB'ing potential. He wasn't a DH'er. Relatively inexperienced MTB'er. Riding with others.

Yes apparently he lost control in the air and head hit a rock after the tumble.

We pray the operations are successful.

This is so sad and disheartening. I want to make the shift from road to mtb due to all the people getting mowed down and now this happens. I just dont know if cycling is worth all the risk anymore.

Hope he recovers soon.

Slayer 83, my first bit of advise would be to know your limits. A rider instinctively knows where they are comfortable in their skill, if you keep feeling "that was close", that is an indicator to spend more time in your comfort zone until you know the next step is within your reach.

There really should not be any pressure applied from you or mates as to what level you should be at, if you are not, take your time to get there.

I say this because I have witnessed many questionable things; riders who are brilliant on the road cannot instantly expect their skill to apply to loose dirt with unexpected obstacles around every bend. But they do, and the anger or frustration that prevails on a trail made for recreation alludes to the pressure we demand from ourselves. I use this as one example (having witnessed this on more than one occasion) to illustrate that there is no quick formula to skill that is developed over years.

I can only hope that all the new downhillers that I see flocking to this trail (or any trail recently sprung up), have spent enough time on their bikes to know their limits... I know this is not the case, for many this is their first bike and are throwing themselves into situations, expecting the kit and bike to act as safety nets...

The guys who make it look easy will testify that it was hard getting there. Be real with your expectations and enjoy the ride.

Sad story. Early 20's, still has lots of MTB'ing potential. He wasn't a DH'er. Relatively inexperienced MTB'er. Riding with others.

Yes apparently he lost control in the air and head hit a rock after the tumble.

We pray the operations are successful.

Oh no. You have unfortunately reinforced my point.

Hope he recovers soon.

Very sad news. Hope he is in the best medical hands to pull him through. Priority is get function back.

As for the inherent risks in the sport, I reckon this is by no means unique to mtb'ing or cycling. Surfing / bodyboarding are just as risky with shark attacks, shallow banks in shorebreaks etc. all out there to end your life abruptly.

Unfortunately one has to make a decision and play the odds. If you hedge your risks by staying within your limits and comfort zone then it should take a freak accident to get you and you can do nothing about that I'm afraid. Pushing beyond your abilities will significantly increase the odds against you.

The sport is dangerous. It has an adrenalin element, which is what draws us to it.

The odds of you being confronted with life threatening injuries on a normal "within your limits" XCO ride or a meander along Hoogekraal's single track are astronomically small. There is always the statistical outlier but that is the case with walking to the toilet too.

But if I go charging down gnarly DH track with inadequate gear and insufficient experience I am stacking the odds against me.

Again, I'm not trolling. I just don't want people denying themselves the joy of a healthy and fulfilling lifestyle because of incidents being seen out of context.

My thoughts are with the rider! Godspeed!

My thoughts are with the rider and his family.

Every day doctors and researchers are finding better ways of healing people and a few years back the likes of Pippie Kruger (that little girl who got badly burnt) would have died. Due to the dedication of doctors and medical researchers she has not only survived, but is healing. I truly hope for this young rider (I'm in my 40s so I can call him young) there will be equally good and successful doctors and surgery for his particular needs and that they can put his spine back together and that he will regain not only feeling but movement and strength.

Spoke to my friend again. Doctors have now claimed he wont be able to walk again. He also has fractures in he's neck

Apparently he wasnt wearing that neck protector DH'ers are supposed to be wearing for hyperextension accidents. I think this guy was also riding Jonkershoek in the morning.

Horrible to hear though, hope he recovers..

Sometimes those neck protectors are more of a hindrance than a help though. If you don't have the righ thelmet & brace combo, it restricts movement quite heavily and can actually make you MORE prone to crashing due to your balance etc being affected.

Not to say that they aren't all bad, but it's not a case of "have to wear" when in DH...

Sorry, not been aware of the story I dont quite understand, did he go over the bars and land on his head.? sort of similar to diving into a pool with no water.?

Terrible accident for such a young man, gives me cold shivers.