Wines 2 Whales - 2013

Francois Pienaar

I might be totally blind, but I simply can't find a thread on the wines 2 whales race. I've looked through events and made a couple of searches.

In any event, if you're doing the race and want to chat to fellow hubbers rocking the race also, let's just use this thread and post away.

If you've done the race before, perhaps post your tips for the newbies and if you're a first timer, just rock your questions here.

For more information on the actual race, check out their site - http://wines2whales.co.za/. They are also on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/w2wmtb.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Entered w2w ride. First time as well. Keen to get more info from those who have participated in previous years.

Did 2 but not doing it again this year, did Sani in stead.

To enjoy W2W you need a few things:

1 - Get used to 4 to 6 hour rides on consecutive days - endurance, base training - do the tits training - June, July, August

2 - Get used to climbing - do the Mast, the steeper and faster the better - often - get strong in the legs and the lungs - September, October

3 - Technical skill - ride lots of single track both up and down - learn how to ride switchbacks, rocks, mud, roots - all the time

W2W is a real mountain bikers race with a large % of single track with beautiful mountains and views. Make sure you don't miss out by having to walk the best parts because you are too stuffed or not able to ride it because lf poor technical skills.

"or not able to ride it because of poor technical skills." This a big issue I found! Too many guys walking sections that really weren't extremely technical but they just did not have the skill and confidence. This then meant the guy behind had to stop which then meant the guy behind and next thing there's huge bottlenecks for the silliest little obstacle!

"or not able to ride it because of poor technical skills." This a big issue I found! Too many guys walking sections that really weren't extremely technical but they just did not have the skill and confidence. This then meant the guy behind had to stop which then meant the guy behind and next thing there's huge bottlenecks for the silliest little obstacle!

Exactly why I want to get them up to speed on technical riding - for their own good, you know ;)

Did 2 but not doing it again this year, did Sani in stead.

To enjoy W2W you need a few things:

1 - Get used to 4 to 6 hour rides on consecutive days - endurance, base training - do the tits training - June, July, August

2 - Get used to climbing - do the Mast, the steeper and faster the better - often - get strong in the legs and the lungs - September, October

3 - Technical skill - ride lots of single track both up and down - learn how to ride switchbacks, rocks, mud, roots - all the time

W2W is a real mountain bikers race with a large % of single track with beautiful mountains and views. Make sure you don't miss out by having to walk the best parts because you are too stuffed or not able to ride it because lf poor technical skills.

How's the food and tented camps? Great atmosphere? Me and a mate looking at doing it 2014!

The food and tents are great. Usual stuff in a multi-stage race. We did the adventure last year and are up for it again this year. It is a super fun race. Day 1 last year was a little tough for my partner but she managed well. I hear they have cut out the hill section this year. When I asked why they said too many people complained about it. My partner of riding for only one and a half years did it and we had no issues so I don't know which part was too tough!!! Anyway I am not the route designer so that is that.

It is a very well put together race. Just get your massges booked as usual and you will love it. It does get cold at night so remember to pack warm clothes for the race village.

Tented camp good, each rider has a tent of his own. Food great. Organization great. Goodie bag great. Route great. Vibe great.

will be my first too...same for oompie my partner

First timer - Race with racing snake oom Mike. Please be patient fellow riders I'm not blessed with tech skills.

Are there "charge stations" in the village for phones etc. ? & what are the waterpoints like?

Exactly why i am not doing this event again

First time for me this year. Need to put in some training to keep up with my partner