CAJEES Fourways ripoff

Paul Ruinaard

It's like that in any industry.

If we had to throw our toys each time a retailer wants to rip us off, we'd be VERY unhappy people.

Move on and shop somewhere else.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst not a fan of Cajees, I think a lot of the criticism is unwarranted.

I have purchased a few things from them and I have got things cheaper than than any other bike shop and that includes online shops like chain reaction an CWC etc.

Just a few things to keep in mind when buying from them.

1. Know what you want and what the going price for that item is.

2. don't expect expert advice.

3. Be prepared to ask for a discount and haggle. If you are uncomfortable with this than you are/have probably paid too much for your insurance, bond interest rate, car etc. Everything is negotiable. If you can't negotiate then sorry for you.

4. Some things at Cajees are expensive. This is not a crime and as a customer nobody if forcing you to buy from them. If you don't like the price, buy from somewhere else.

5. Cajees were not involved with price fixing, have not defrauded or stolen from you.

A Native American proverb tells of a young brave that needed to climb a tall steep mountian to prove he is a true warrior. After he had been climbing for just a short while, he encountered a rattle snake. Very cautious of the creature he started moving far away from it and found a new path up the rocks. But the snake called out to him and said "pleasss, pleasss put me in your ssssatchel and carry me up to the top where the rocksss are nice and warm." The young brave said "no, for you will bite me". The rattle snake replied "No I won't, I'm sssooo cold. I jussst want to enjoy the ssssun at the top. I promisss not to bite you". After much convincing the young brave decided to pick the snake up and put it in his satchel.

He continued to climb, and after many hours he reached the top. There he opened up his satchel to let the snake out. The snake slithered out, then turned around and bit the young brave on his hand. The brave cried out "why! WHY! did you do that?! You said you wouldn't bite me." The snake simply replied "you knew what I was when you picked me up.

Now children... the moral of the story is that when you see a sign titled "Caj#%$" you should know what you are dealing with.

As has been said before:

• know EXACTLY what you want and what it is really worth, or you're likely to pay too much/get sold somthing that you don't need/doesn't fit.
  • Be prepared that you will have to fight for a fair price.
  • Do not expect expert technical advice. (I once went to a Cajees branch that hadn't even heard of the brand "Yeti". They asked "Are these bikes good? Like Scott or Giant". I just laughed)

And my last bit of advice... I personally wouldn't pay more than R10 for ESI's :ph34r: ... ODI's FTW! :lol:

Edited by patches

A Native American proverb tells of a young brave that needed to climb a tall steep mountian to prove he is a true warrior. After he had been climbing for just a short while, he encountered a rattle snake. Very cautious of the creature he started moving far away from it and found a new path up the rocks. But the snake called out to him and said "pleasss, pleasss put me in your ssssatchel and carry me up to the top where the rocksss are nice and warm." The young brave said "no, for you will bite me". The rattle snake replied "No I won'r, I'm sssooo cold. I jussst want to enjoy the ssssun at the top. I promisss not to bike you". After much convincing the young brave decided to pick the snake up and put it in his satchel.

He continued to climb, and after many hours he reached the top. There he opened up his satchel to let the snake out. The snake slithered out, then turned around and bit the young brave on his hand. The brave cried out "why! WHY! did you do that?! You said you wouldn't bite me." The snake simply replied "you knew what I was when you picked me up.

Now children... the moral of the story is that when you see a sign titled "Caj#%$" you should know what you are dealing with.

As has been said before:

• know EXACTLY what you want and what it is really worth, or you're likely to pay too much/get sold somthing that you don't need/doesn't fit.
  • Be prepared that you will have to fight for a fair price.
  • Do not expect expert technical advice. (I once went to a Cajees branch that hadn't even heard of the brand "Yeti". They asked "Are these bikes good? Like Scott or Giant". I just laughed)

And my last bit of advice... I personally wouldn't pay more than R10 for ESI's :ph34r: ... ODI's FTW! :lol:

And here endeth this thread.

I know u get different type of buyers, those that haggle down price, to the lowest possible price and they got no issue with it and they will go back a week later to do the same. ME PERSONALLY I HATE HATE NEGOTIATING GIVE ME YOUR BEST PRICE FIRST OR F/off I am not a idiot, inflating the price to Negotiate and ALL and let the customer THINK HE IS GETTING A DEAL to me is pathetic, find a REAL LBS that has good price(acceptable) build up a relationship doing business and you will see loyalality is rewarded, if this does not happen move on until you find that LBS,,, trust me they easier to find, I have 3 that I don't ask for price, when I order cause I know I will get the best price they can give, and I don't need to sit there like a INDIAN TRADER haggling over pricing,

Cajees prices are way inflated, they offer good prices on bikes and load the extras. I prefer Westdene, their prices are good and they give everyone 10% off - No haggling.

Solomans in my experience is the same. bought some stuff there the other day then when to cycle lab only to find that it was cheaper at cycle lab.

Although, when I phoned around for quotes a few months back, I wanted ultegra shifters.

Cycle lab fourways - R3900

Westdean cycles - R3500

Cajees Park meadows - R3200

That was brand new, over the phone quotes.

Does say something...

I never buy anything until I have checked out pricing on all the online stores. Believe me they check each other out and make sure their prices are competitive.

Although, when I phoned around for quotes a few months back, I wanted ultegra shifters.

Cycle lab fourways - R3900

Westdean cycles - R3500

Cajees Park meadows - R3200

That was brand new, over the phone quotes.

Does say something...

Go into Westdene with cash notes the price changes instantly. Generally their prices are higher than CRC cash and kontant gets you below or same as CRC

Go into Westdene with cash notes the price changes instantly. Generally their prices are higher than CRC cash and kontant gets you below or same as CRC

3500 was the best price they offered. Even with cash.

If you're saying that then they're just as "bad" as cajees. The whole point is, a bike shop should display their best price and charge it, not display one and ask another.

I suppose the big issue is good faith and the humongous lack there of at Cajee's.

Whatever anyone says abut knowing about haggling etc, Cajee's trying their luck to that exorbitant degree is nasty - really nasty because if you are naive or just plain unsuspecting they will take your money at the full ridiculous asking price.

Which hubber supports preying on the defenseless and naive?

By defenseless I mean people who are not armed with knowledge of Cajee's ways or the competitive pricing, most people understand there will be a price differential between shops but 80-100% markup difference on the same item? No that's called daylight robbery not retail.

Greed is never pretty and man are Cajee's a grinch of the bike shop industry...

I suppose the big issue is good faith and the humongous lack there of at Cajee's.

Whatever anyone says abut knowing about haggling etc, Cajee's trying their luck to that exorbitant degree is nasty - really nasty because if you are naive or just plain unsuspecting they will take your money at the full ridiculous asking price.

Which hubber supports preying on the defenseless and naive?

By defenseless I mean people who are not armed with knowledge of Cajee's ways or the competitive pricing, most people understand there will be a price differential between shops but 80-100% markup difference on the same item? No that's called daylight robbery not retail.

Greed is never pretty and man are Cajee's a grinch of the bike shop industry...

I disagree, I have been burnt (both on price and on a shock service) by a more 'reputable' shop but have bought the same products from Cajees at a cheaper price. Granted the 'technical' assistance and knowledge by the staff is pretty much useless but pricewise I seem to do alright. They were also willing to assist me (swopped out pads and 2 x rotors) when I had an issue with my Avid brakes even though I did not buy the bike from them, they could have just said bad luck, take it back to where you bought it!

If you do not do homework (as with anything you plan on buying) then you will get burned.

Edited by Mojoman