Chinese Carbon Wheels

Meezo

How are these rims working out for you?

I haven't had any issues myself. I decided to go for these since I had a look around and couldn't find anyone who'd had any issues. Besides that, my rims are not light, close to 500g, so I convinced myself that at the weight they must be strong.

I cannot really comment on braking performance seeing as I cannot compare apples with apples. I went from OLD ali rims with OLD Campy brakes to Ultegra 6800, so my braking performance is actually vastly improved, in both wet and dry conditions. No squeel, except for a very subtle, soft sound that I cannot quite describe. I don't know if this is normal for carbon rims, but it certainly doesn't bother me at all.

Not much more to say. I klapped a cateye at pace coming down from Llandudno on Saturday when diving in between cars and those construction signs and I just misjudged it. Not sure where exactly it came from but the bike made a terribly loud creaking sound. I stopped to do a quick check and the rim is still running perfectly true. I'll do a proper inspection this week to make sure everything is good.

So ja, I have limited experience so that might not be worth much, but that's been my experience

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys I'm interested in buying myself a set of Chinese carbon wheels. Who do you recommend is the best seller to buy from?

• 4 months later...

Reviving an old post. So hows these wheels going and is anyone interested in a group buy for kzn? Was looking at U shaped wheels from light bicycle. They quoted $575 for 45mm clinchers with bitex hubs and sapim CX ray spokes and nipples. But shipping is like $180. And with the rand - dollar at the moment it isn't exactly cheap.

Reviving an old post. So hows these wheels going and is anyone interested in a group buy for kzn? Was looking at U shaped wheels from light bicycle. They quoted $575 for 45mm clinchers with bitex hubs and sapim CX ray spokes and nipples. But shipping is like $180. And with the rand - dollar at the moment it isn't exactly cheap.

On Allixpress site??

Light-Bicycle have a store on Aliexpress.

I prefer buying through Aliexpress for the buyer protection and seller ratings etc.

thanks, will have a look there

Got some rims from yishunbike a while back and they are holding up fine so far. Train on them, did the Jock with them, braking is ok in dry conditions, have not really been out in wet conditions. If I buy again, I will buy from lighbicycle as I like their rim depths

i'm holding on with this for now, the rand is taking a serious beating.

But on this topic, U shape vs V shape ? What's the opinions on this, and considering that Durban experiences some heavy winds, would the U shape be a better option ?

I was thinking about going with the 55mm U shaped from Light Bicycle, with Novatec or Bitex hubs and Sapin cx ray spokes. Claimed weight of 1467+/-25g, vs 1368+/-25g for the 45mm.

just $16 difference in the price. I'm leaning towards the 55mm for added strength as I am on the heavier side of life - 92kg.

to stray away from the china topic, how are edge design wheels? i see they are a lot cheaper than most on the market, not sure about quality though. would it be better to save and go with the china brands, or just cough up and get zipps? relatively speaking f course. 

3 sets of China's for 1 set of Zipps. Many good reviews on the Chinese brands, so if you get 2-3 years use I think it's worth it.

• 3 months later...

Now chinese quality carbon wheels with Novatec, Bitex,DT Swiss hub, and Sapim series spokes and sapim Nipples are good, like carbonspeed wheels, it available in road/mtb/fat bike.

• 4 weeks later...

Spend money on the hubs and get a set of wheels that are 95% as good as the big brands at a third of the cost. I can't see the point of speccing cheap hubs.

These are 35mm front, 45mm rear.

post-35786-0-67646400-1452070721_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-50350300-1452070722_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-69472000-1452070723_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-39013300-1452070724_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-14681800-1452070725_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-86042800-1452070725_thumb.jpg

Spend money on the hubs and get a set of wheels that are 95% as good as the big brands at a third of the cost. I can't see the point of speccing cheap hubs.

These are 35mm front, 45mm rear.

How much did these set you back in total, if you don't mind me asking, and where did you order from?

Considering having a new set of wheels made up since my current ones are starting to look unhealthy.