Chinese Carbon Wheels

Meezo

Looking at a set of carbon mtb wheels. I see a few hubbers have them. Any advice on where to buy from and what is reliable?

I also would like to know from hubbers who have them how are they holding up. Some of the post are months old so an update on those using them would be helpful.

I ride a 29er HT and do XC and XCO. Weigh 85kgs.

Will be watching this. I am in the same boat, but weigh 110kg. Is carbon wheel on a mtb an option?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most definitely. I have just started looking into it.

I think the Carbonal mtb wheels can be built to rider weight of 115kg.

Waiting for input from those who have done it.

So just a question here..... At 100kg plus why go for Carbon Wheels?

I sincerely hope its for the rigidity and not the weight! :ph34r:

Seriously, living on the cusp of a weight limit is risky. Wheel failure is no joke. All it takes is 1 abnormality in the epoxy and you are building yourself a new face out of your butt skin.

Not trying to be mean, but pushging the envelope at that end of the spectrum should be done by cutting down on beer, refining your training programme and getting down to 75 - 80kg where you can comfortably start riding Crest rims and carbon thingimajigs without worrying about breaking them.

Again, I am not being mean, just realistic.

I weighed 100kg once... I weigh a shade under 70kg now so its not a go at anyone because of their size, more the reason for choices and doing things constructively.

Otherwise if you buy it, ride it and break it (and potentially yourself) dont complain about how utterly rubbish the product is.

Saw that all to often with the Crest rims and it grated my goat.

(Again, expected scorn to follow as I commute home for the next 40 mins!)

Seriously, living on the cusp of a weight limit is risky. Wheel failure is no joke. All it takes is 1 abnormality in the epoxy and you are building yourself a new face out of your butt skin.

Not trying to be mean, but pushging the envelope at that end of the spectrum should be done by cutting down on beer, refining your training programme and getting down to 75 - 80kg where you can comfortably start riding Crest rims and carbon thingimajigs without worrying about breaking them.

I weighed 100kg once... I weigh a shade under 70kg now so its not a go at anyone because of their size, more the reason for choices and doing things constructively.

Otherwise if you buy it, ride it and break it (and potentially yourself) dont complain about how utterly rubbish the product is.

Breaking wheels is more about your riding style than your weight.A guy that weighs 80kg can easily break a rim if he sits on his saddle on a big jump.

I mostly agree with you. I am a little biased though. I topped out at 108kg and get down to 88kg when training well - it makes me too fat but also bigger than most cyclists. I never thought of getting carbon wheels but badly wanted XX1 so ended up with SRAM rise carbon wheels on my HT. I wasnt looking for anything but was amazed at the markedly quicker acceleration on a track I know well with many 90deg turns. I still dont use it for general MTB but occasionally take it for a "race" and still find it a great source of happiness. Rest of the time I use Arch Ex (that should make you happy).

So far I have been researching a few sites.

Next bit of advice needed: do I purchase just the rims and build the rest from parts sourced locally? or do I purchase the complete wheel set.

Anybody have an idea of what a wheel build will cost here in JHB?

To give you an example:

At http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-29er-wheel-mountain-bike-clincher.html I can get mtb 29er carbon wheels,all mountain,tubeless wheel ready,30mm wide,29er mountain bike wheelset with 23mm inner width carbon rims. Novatec hubs, Pillar aero spokes, weight +- 1500Gr for $568 excl shipping and inport duties. These are rated 120kg rider weight.

Or at same place i could just buy the carbon rims (specially for down hill bike, AM & XC racing,tubeless-compatible, also rated 120kg rider weight) weighing 390gr for $165 each excl shipping and import duties (maybe I can get a "sample" version ) :ph34r:

Then build the wheels here, sourced with hubs, spokes etc.

Breaking wheels is more about your riding style than your weight.A guy that weighs 80kg can easily break a rim if he sits on his saddle on a big jump.

I agree with you entirely however when you weigh in at 112kg and the rider weight limit is sitting 3kg higher that is not riding style, that is pushing the limit of a specific weight limit for failure.

Weight limits are set for a reason...... Part breakages due to a crash are entirely different to a crash due to part failure.

• 4 weeks later...

I have purchased a set of 27.5" carbon rims which I would like to build my XTR hubs - 24 holes (currently 26" wheels) onto. I took it to Spoke Works but they say they can't do the build.

Anybody know of someone who will be willing to assist?

I have purchased a set of 27.5" carbon rims which I would like to build my XTR hubs - 24 holes (currently 26" wheels) onto. I took it to Spoke Works but they say they can't do the build.

Did they indicate why they cannot.?

Some hubs and rims may not be compatible.

are the no. of holes on the hub and the rim the same ... you might need to purchase 32 hole hubs if the rims are std

Both 24 hole. I think they do not want to work with the rims - told me they have build them before and they broke. And they cant get spokes...

Not really impressed, but I guess I'll ma just have to get someone else

I decided to order a set of wheels which arrived on Monday. They are the new wider rims-24.8mm and I ordered a 50mm front & 60mm rear in 3k matt. So far they look great and I can't wait to ride them. Going away on Friday so it will have to wait for the New Year. Ordering through AliExpress was painless and worked out nicely.

post-15550-0-58689300-1386142742_thumb.png

Edited by Pusher

I decided to order a set of wheels which arrived on Monday. They are the new wider rims-24.8mm and I ordered a 50mm front & 60mm rear in 3k matt. So far they look great and I can't wait to ride them. Going away on Friday so it will have to wait for the New Year. Ordering through AliExpress was painless and worked out nicely.

Cost?

Looking good.