Oops I did it again, cracked frame. (and again)

Rouxenator

Interestingly a crack is starting to develop on the other chainstay as well. This poor thing is telling me it's time to go to frame heaven. I'll see how long it lasts, might be taking it a little easier on the jumps. 

Jump it like you stole it, said no one ever....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, so those of you that had the value 130KM in mind - correct.

I did my usual afternoon dash on Thursday.

Klapped a lekker Bottelary yesterday.

Just after G-spot and Tikbos it went.

Still managed to nurse it home the last 8km in a very wobbly fashion. But that's all she wrote rode.

attachicon.gifIMG_20201012_080459s.jpg

I hope you are also going to put the frame in the fire place

Edited by Hairy

Had a repair done at a similar spot by a welder mate, he first made an insert that sort of slots the 2 pieces together on the inside then welded that in. Secondly made that small 'brace' if that's the right word on the inside near the wheel.

So far 500k's and no sign of any issues ... interesting he told me to paint it with that 'chrome' rattle can color as it would be easy to see a crack starting

Not pretty but hey I can ride it so who cares [emoji41]5cba9adf0d27bfdf18efe8c1f229d805.jpg10a3410a927bf8d0f7864105ea311c99.jpg

Right, so those of you that had the value 130KM in mind - correct.

I did my usual afternoon dash on Thursday.

Klapped a lekker Bottelary yesterday.

Just after G-spot and Tikbos it went.

Still managed to nurse it home the last 8km in a very wobbly fashion. But that's all she wrote rode.

attachicon.gifIMG_20201012_080459s.jpg

Not sure what the problem is here? That just means there is extra compliance!! You now have a soft tale!!

Some pictures of the 'insert' part if its of any interest ...3e57a4e58fda58e10094978a847c2200.jpg6e133a7d1c9d68d23c423ea0f3e50e55.jpg318edc464fc33fee05dbee19f52f3a82.jpgabbfa8defdeab0458ea94f1a88ba4d56.jpg

We did that to a steel frame I started riding on back in the 80's. Top tube broke about 40 mm back from the head tube. 

Also on a Viking (steel frame) broke on the seatstay between the top tube and the brake arch.

Both repairs worked great and I rode them both for years afterwards.