[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #3 Van Gaalens

Tim_Fair

oooo eh eh...man ons gaan pret he

Damn is that end the entrance or exit? No holding back on this bridge. I see many swims and walkers

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode some of the trail today, the climb after the concrete hill is very loose so I'm expecting a lot of walkers next week.

That rocky section after poffader hill before the daggapad is still there, going to be a nightmare. In my opinion it's too steep, rocky and very loose this time of year for 90% of the riders to ride properly. Those boulders are massive, and descending at a slow speed to try make some of the turns makes it easy to go superman over handlebars.

Rode some of the trail today, the climb after the concrete hill is very loose so I'm expecting a lot of walkers next week.

That rocky section after poffader hill before the daggapad is still there, going to be a nightmare. In my opinion it's too steep, rocky and very loose this time of year for 90% of the riders to ride properly. Those boulders are massive, and descending at a slow speed to try make some of the turns makes it easy to go superman over handlebars.

I'm assuming you talking about the half marathon ?

Hopefully the walking riders will keep to the left/right of the trail, for the riders with good technical skills.

Still procrastinating about whether to enter.

Bit negative about this race actually.

Last year I fell hard on the rocky downhill section, in the process lost my keys, wifey had to come pick me up etc...

I dunno....

This will be my first race, although I'm only doing the 20km ride. Really looking forward to it. I'm 3 weeks in to mtb and addicted already.

Enjoy.Great addiction to have.

That section is ridable, and there was two lines last time I was there, both are a bit technical but not the most challenging I have experienced there. Not too many loose rocks and there are lines.

If you are not confident/skilled rather walk it, and please move out the way if you see someone belting down because to stop and loose your momentum means it's tough to get going again especially on a descent. Thanks in advance.

Hi all

after the event next week, if you guys have any pics from phones, cameras, GoPros etc, please add them to the Van Gaalens Facebook page (which you can also "like" if you haven't yet....hint hint :whistling: ;) )

https://www.facebook.com/VanGaalenMountainBikingTrails

Although the forecast is changing all the time... it looks to be a scorcher next saturday, so prep yourselves... LOTS of sunblock and enough hydration.

2 or 3 years ago ( can't for the life of me remember now which of the two it is) we had that major heat wave on the day and water became an issue at the water tables because a lot of people were cooling off by pouring it all over themselves.

Please just fill up your bottles and hydration packs at these points, you need to share with a couple thousand others remember :thumbup:

Good luck to all and enjoy some of the BEST riding we have on offer around here. :clap:

Does anyone know if the 70km route descent from Greek Church takes the "novice" route or the other one? If it takes the right split.... ooooohhhh eh eh.

That section is ridable, and there was two lines last time I was there, both are a bit technical but not the most challenging I have experienced there. Not too many loose rocks and there are lines.

If you are not confident/skilled rather walk it, and please move out the way if you see someone belting down because to stop and loose your momentum means it's tough to get going again especially on a descent. Thanks in advance.

Yes walk off the trail and no @dino, that section is perfectly rideable, was there on sat and had a blast....VG is looking good!

Does anyone know if the 70km route descent from Greek Church takes the "novice" route or the other one? If it takes the right split.... ooooohhhh eh eh.

Having ridden it recently and comparing my GPS track to the one posted, it looks like it goes down from the Greek Church to the dip and then sharp left back up the hill on the Jou Bliksem section.

2 or 3 years ago ( can't for the life of me remember now which of the two it is) we had that major heat wave on the day and water became an issue at the water tables

I last rode the Trailseeker at vG's three years back and it was when they ran out of water, when they filled my backpack at the bottom of the rocky descent after the satellite hill, their water was pretty much empty. It reached 45 degC in the direct sun at 11.30 that morning which is why I assume they have moved it from November to September for this race.

I did the Dinokeng race yesterday and finished close to midday and it was 35 degC in the direct sun, just hate these late winter days :-)