Argus 2014

vaalkol

Lekker race! F group was awesome. No accidents, and we caught the e group at Smits. I think this was cause it was a bigger group. Chapman's was not to bad, but I suffered on Sakerbossie. Finish in 3:18.

Having the F group swarm by up Smits was a bit of a shock. E group was quite mellow on the way out, cos it was the first time i ever got that far with the front of the group. (Normally i'm gone on Edinborough Drive already)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was me, TALUS... I couldn't hear you so lekka.

Good to put a race face to the alter ego on the HubSA.

Sorry, I couldn't chat. I was in the zone. Hahaa

We finished quite close together. You nearly lost your number. Yes - good to have a visual image. How much time did the wind add to a Argus with less/ no wind?

How much time did the wind add to a Argus with less/ no wind?

I would love to know the answer to that. At points up Chappies it felt like the windy gave us one hell ova push up there. I thought there was a few places where the assisted greatly.

I went over Chappies 6 minutes adrift of my target and Suikerbos only 2 minutes adrift. So made time up on the downhill whih i put down to the wind in my back. I finished 2 minutes outside of my target and the wind in that last 10km was definitely in my face.

There was a guy on the floor in Kalk Bay laying very still. Seemed to be with it from a quick glance but can't be sure. I'm hoping the marshall on the scene told him to just hold still.

Big crash on Blue Route. Must have been L, M or N group. 3 people taken off to hospital according to my wife who was watching there. Was in R group, saw riders lying all over the place. Noticed a fair sized pot hole about 50 meters before the crash site.

May have been L, i lost them as we got to the top of edenburgh but slowed down having to work my way around three recumband bikes in the middle of the road, was about to catch up with them whenthe crash happened looked like a bunch of cyclist in a tumble dryer, really bad, heal up soon to those who camw down

My wife caught the M3 crash on her cellphone by chance. Hope everyone involved recovers quickly.

I enjoyed the ride, got my sub 3:30 which is as much as could be expected.

post-2128-0-65263900-1394364497_thumb.jpg

My wife caught the M3 crash on her cellphone by chance. Hope everyone involved recovers quickly.

I enjoyed the ride, got my sub 3:30 which is as much as could be expected.

post-2128-0-65263900-1394364497_thumb.jpg

That is such a fast descent...

someone took what sounded like a very very nasty bail in a bend just outside of seapoint. The lack of a scream or shout of pain/surprise, makes me think he/she was properly clocked. It sounded very nasty. I turned around, but couldn't see as it happened on entry into the bend.

First time i've noticed so many crash victims. That M3 crash, the one guy on the RHS of the road was very bloodied up in the face. I really hope they all ok.

Well winning times were not that much off, so no real effect I think.

That's what I also thought but I'm sure it's debatable. For one the wind affects the pros for less then us mortals. And I would think the pros have extra motivation in today's conditions to move things along to drop weaker riders whereas on fair weather days there's no point. They just sit there and wait for strategic points where the race can be decided.

Edited by Bianchisti

Well winning times were not that much off, so no real effect I think.

I suspect the wind will have had a much more significant impact on the lower order groups, many (most?) of whom don't draft for any significant period

someone took what sounded like a very very nasty bail in a bend just outside of seapoint. The lack of a scream or shout of pain/surprise, makes me think he/she was properly clocked. It sounded very nasty. I turned around, but couldn't see as it happened on entry into the bend.

First time i've noticed so many crash victims. That M3 crash, the one guy on the RHS of the road was very bloodied up in the face. I really hope they all ok.

That was a woman I think. Face down waving everybody away. It looked nasty...

I found the wind coming down Suikerbossie and Chappies impossible and straight into my face. I was almost unseated a few times. Would have loved a few more gears today but the bodge job with squeaky brakes got me home somewhere around 3:30 (I dont have a bike computer or watch) which today I am happy to bank and move on.

44/16 was probably a bit too spinny. I always forget just HOW flat the route actually is

Standing on the side today and witnessed way too much aggression from the lower alphabet soup with people shouting and trying to squeeze through gaps especially on descents. Left! Left! Coming through!

Missed my (revised) target by one min. Irritated by that.

Don't sweat the small stuff mate, there's always a next time.

Standing on the side today and witnessed way too much aggression from the lower alphabet soup with people shouting and trying to squeeze through gaps especially on descents. Left! Left! Coming through!

I ain't very far up the alphabet soup food chain. A couple of young Nedbank whippersnapper development riders passed me in Muizenberg, shouting "hold your line" (which I always do), and then proceeded to pass me on the left. Truly clueless.