Argus 2014

vaalkol

Here are the correct details, I got it wrong above and will go edit. :blush:

PPA RIDE FOR YOUR LIFE AWARENESS RIDE

Saturday 8 March 2014

06h45

VENUE: Maiden's Cove, Camps Bay

Join us on Saturday morning for the PPA Ride for Your Life, an awareness ride to focus attention on cyclists' safety. There will also be a moment's silence to commemorate cyclists who have lost their lives on the roads in the past year.

For maximum impact, we need as many cyclists to attend as possible, so we urge you to support this initiative. We appeal to all cyclists to show your support for the safe cycling campaign by wearing your PPA "1.5m" safe cycling jersey for this ride.

Coffee will be on sale at Maiden's Cove from 06h30, with the ride starting at 07h00.

Safe cycling jerseys will be on sale at the venue from 06h15-09h30. The jerseys cost only R200 each, as, in the interest of safe cycling, PPA is subsidising each jersey by R100.

There is no fixed route: The furthest turning point is the lookout point on Chapman's Peak, but you can turn around sooner, provided it is safe to do so. You are also welcome to simply ride along with the group for a short while as part of your pre-Cycle Tour leg loosener and then continue along your own route (but please still wear your safe cycling jersey). ThinkBike marshals and traffic officers will assist en route, but there are no route markers and limited point marshals.

Back at the venue, breakfast rolls, coffee and pancakes will be on sale until 09h30.

As this is a safety awareness ride, we urge all cyclists to ride in a responsible manner, keeping well left of the median line, and to obey all traffic rules and stop at red robots and stop streets. No helmet, no ride. There will be no timing or medals for this ride.

PARKING: There is limited parking available at Maiden's Cove. Please note that NO parking is available at the Glen Country Club. There is parking available near Clifton 4th Beach, alongside the road, near Camps Bay High School, and in Camps Bay. We also recommend that cyclists park in Sea Point or even Hout Bay and cycle through to the start.

Edited by DJR

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What advice for a Argus noobie starting in the open group @ 10am?

My advice would be to expect the other 38 000 riders wildebeest to do something stupid and to ride like you are ready for it to happen any second. Look around, watch for gaps, watch for escape routes, think like Wiley in Premium Rush. Oh, watch that on Saturday night for mental preparation! :)

I'll create a thread for this, but for you impatient ones, here goes.

Meet at Virgin Active Greenpoint at 7h30. Ride to Duikerbossie and back at a very relaxed pace. The one's so inclined can stop at a Coffee Shop and get to know the other Hubbers a bit bitter.

there are a few of us that are going to join. We created a whatsapp group to make arrangements. Pm your number and i will add it

13,000 + posts and you live in The Cape - so who's the noobie ? :unsure:?

Any hubbers starting in group OE at 10am? This is my first Argus and I would keen to maybe ride with someone :thumbup:

What time you aiming for?

It is what it is :thumbup:

Just thought that midget tossing might be related to the sport of Hub spoofing :whistling:.....

Anyway, may I wish you a wonderful ride on Sunday and many, many more in the future.

Edited by 3wings

My opinion? Take it easy, have a jol. The wind, and all that cyclists in front of you are just going to frustrate you if you are going to take it serious. Enjoy it for what it is, a funride. Next year you can go for a seeding and go for it.

My opinion? Take it easy, have a jol. The wind, and all that cyclists in front of you are just going to frustrate you if you are going to take it serious. Enjoy it for what it is, a funride. Next year you can go for a seeding and go for it.

You have way to much experience!!

As an aside - this is the only ride in the world with quality FREE champagne, FREE wine, FREE beer and FREE food along the ENTIRE route. The only downside is the ride back home is ummm dodgy so you usually have to ask "a friend" to collect you to go home. The train works well, except one tends of smell - and not always of sweat either. :)

I'm aiming to finish :blush: No point racing while stuck with the herd.

I've done a few races with my children from the last couple of starting groups and I can assure you the people at the tail end of the Argus are generally much more friendly than further forward. You'll see all sorts, dressed up in strange outlandish outfits, guys that struggle up the first "climb" (the M3 onramp), little old ladies, youngsters, you name it! They all suffer horribly together, but they encourage each other, even though they don't work together. I enjoyed talking to people, making space for them, cracking a little joke here and there. I helped people fix punctures, index gears, gave tubes away and received the most greateful thanks from them. I also liked the slow pace and the time it gave me to really look at the magnificent scenery along the route, you don't get a chance to do that when you are wizzing along in a fast bunch. I stopped to take photographs and one year even packed sandwitches for apicnic lunch on Smitswinkels. Just go and soak up the vibe of the day, it is something to treasure.

If only the race was today or tomorrow. Best days of the year so far for Cape Town.

Windguru hasn't been wrong this week and it looking pretty windy for Sunday.

If only the race was today or tomorrow. Best days of the year so far for Cape Town.

Windguru hasn't been wrong this week and it looking pretty windy for Sunday.

Looks like we are going to enjoy some "stronger" winds ...

My brother and I aim to Fordyce the 7-hour limit. In order to do that we'll have breakfast in Simonstown, lunch in Scarborough and something in Houtbay to soften the blow of Suikerbossie. We will not fight the wind and we will definitely enjoy the scenery and the experience - far away from bunches hell-bent on sub-this and sub-that. We will revel in the camaraderie and banter born of suffering at the back of the Argus, just hoping to make it to the next waterpoint. Even if completely knackered, we will eventually arrive at the finish line, gain the victory and hopefully have a recognisable photograph taken.

Let's ride (the whole day) !!

Does anyone know if that SMS service to notify you of a rider's time/position still exists? 38119 was the short number.