Argus 2014

vaalkol

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you know on the hub those with the most posts don't even own a bike.

Lucky I have three, and two half built bikes :rolleyes:

My brother and I aim to Fordyce the 7-hour limit. In order to do that we'll have breakfast in Simonstown, lunch in Scarborough and something in Houtbay to soften the blow of Suikerbossie. We will not fight the wind and we will definitely enjoy the scenery and the experience - far away from bunches hell-bent on sub-this and sub-that. We will revel in the camaraderie and banter born of suffering at the back of the Argus, just hoping to make it to the next waterpoint. Even if completely knackered, we will eventually arrive at the finish line, gain the victory and hopefully have a recognisable photograph taken.

Let's ride (the whole day) !!

Not having a go at you specifically BUT why pay to do that - surely you can do that any day?

Club 21 – Unhappiness!!!

Last year I completed my 21st Argus and was really excited, I crossed the finish line feeling like a million dollars. After being handed my normal medal I was then ushered to another gazebo, was handed a club 21 medal, my picture was taken and I was smartly ushered off!

A few months later I got an email congratulating me and attached was an order form for Club 21 apparel. There wasn’t anything I really liked, and all I really wanted was a little Club 21 badge that I could sew onto my tracksuit with other badges a running permanent nos. I had some correspondence with Stephen Stefano and offered to get a badge designed and made so that it could be offered to others, I was told a firm no. I then left it and said I did not wish to order anything else but said I would still like to come to the club 21 ceremony to at least receive my Club 21 number. I am number 1115!

I found out today at registration that the ceremony was last Sunday! I got to speak to Stephen Stefano himself at the Club 21 counter and in short was told that the ceremony costs money and that only the folk that order shirts are invited.

I have ridden and paid for 21 Argus cycle tours, but there wasn’t enough money to invite me for a few snacks and to have my number handed to me. The Cycle Tour gives thousands every year to charity, and make no mistake I do not begrudge that, but surely just a little could be spent on “loyal” cyclists. There are only 1115 in total, so how many could there have been last year?

Sigh it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I cannot help comparing it to running. After 10 Two Oceans marathons, one is handed one’s permanent no ON the finish line! From there on one gets access to the Blue number tent where every year there are refreshments at registration!

Has anyone else had a bad Club 21 experience?

Club 21 – Unhappiness!!!

Last year I completed my 21st Argus and was really excited, I crossed the finish line feeling like a million dollars. After being handed my normal medal I was then ushered to another gazebo, was handed a club 21 medal, my picture was taken and I was smartly ushered off!

A few months later I got an email congratulating me and attached was an order form for Club 21 apparel. There wasn’t anything I really liked, and all I really wanted was a little Club 21 badge that I could sew onto my tracksuit with other badges a running permanent nos. I had some correspondence with Stephen Stefano and offered to get a badge designed and made so that it could be offered to others, I was told a firm no. I then left it and said I did not wish to order anything else but said I would still like to come to the club 21 ceremony to at least receive my Club 21 number. I am number 1115!

I found out today at registration that the ceremony was last Sunday! I got to speak to Stephen Stefano himself at the Club 21 counter and in short was told that the ceremony costs money and that only the folk that order shirts are invited.

I have ridden and paid for 21 Argus cycle tours, but there wasn’t enough money to invite me for a few snacks and to have my number handed to me. The Cycle Tour gives thousands every year to charity, and make no mistake I do not begrudge that, but surely just a little could be spent on “loyal” cyclists. There are only 1115 in total, so how many could there have been last year?

Sigh it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I cannot help comparing it to running. After 10 Two Oceans marathons, one is handed one’s permanent no ON the finish line! From there on one gets access to the Blue number tent where every year there are refreshments at registration!

Hi There j,

I don't know what or who changed at Argus management but I am get a distinct taste of that horrible word 'greed' coming through.

Maybe that's too harsh a choice of word, but with the charging of cyclists, first to just enter the Expo more than once and then for the second lap - mmmm - something's not right up in the tower.

Now your experience - what happened to the Spirit of Argus I wonder?

Club 21 – Unhappiness!!!

That is pretty dam piss poor.

Not having a go at you specifically BUT why pay to do that - surely you can do that any day?

Not really - only once a year can one participate in and be part of this great event and in the process enjoy full road closure, excellent waterpoints, cycle in the company of thousands of fellow cyclists, be supported by enthusiastic crowds having a day-long party, and receive a medal at the end. In the past I have gladly paid for that privilege and will continue to do so. The fact that most of the money collected goes to worthy causes makes it even more worthwhile.

Club 21 – Unhappiness!!!

As far as I know, the Club 21 stuff is all organised purely by volunteers (existing members), and they receive little to no assistance from the Cycle Tour. They are not (the the best of my knowledge) at all related the the Cycle Tour organisers, although they do have access to contact details and records of potential members.

Edited by Organic

Anybody else try the Tuk Tuk's from the Grand Parade to registration? Great Idea to help sort out the parking problem. I felt as if I was in India being transported around. Quick & Easy!

Club 21 – Unhappiness!!!

However poorly they treated you, you have my respect, doing 21 is a truly great achievement! :clap:

Welcome to HubSA, jbeckett...

Not a positive opening post hey

Keep the rubber side down on Sunday

Sorry if this is a double post, but its that time that we start guessing whats in our race packs!!!

I'll start:

-Race Number LOL

-Hollard Waterbottle

-Sachet of FutureLife

-Sunscreen

-Expired Magazines (no relevance to cycling at all) LOL

Keep the guesses coming here guys...

I didn't even get a race number in mine last year :whistling:

Club 21 – Unhappiness!!!

I have never understood this fascination with symbols of doing nothing much heroic and the need to show them off.

Club 21 qualification is surely just a badge of good attendance ?

If you have done 21 rides, it follows that you must by now be a grown-up. Try looking at this as an adult and you should see that the absence of a badge to display on your tracksuit does not distract from your "achievement" nor from your standing in the eyes of every one who knows you.

I don't know if a voluntary association not making a big enough fuss over me would be reason enough for me to join an Internet forum to complain about it.