94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

Big up to the guys organising the 94.7, also haven't heard anywhere yet about bikes/cars being stolen... this would be a massive achievement for such a big event.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very unfortunate that my riding buddy punctured twice down Jan Smuts and could not continue. I pushed on after and did a 3h55.

I think the Racetec results are preliminary.

Yesterday mine was 3:13 and today back to 3:09:12 which agrees exactly with my Garmin which I started on the gun even though I was not near the front of the group.

Oh - and toughest climb for me was that last little climb before turning into Waterfall and the finish.

I nearly nearly abandoned ship there.

Scraped in.

Oh I hope they reduce it by 15 seconds, my time is 3:00:14... :wacko:

I really enjoyed my 94.7. I was feeling absolutely great at the start of the day. The mission for the day was to get Snapshot over the finish line in less than 3 hours. But she was taking flack from the go for some or other reason. That climb you get when you get off the M1 she already told me to go. I just said bugger that you can do it get your rythm.

I proceeded to form small groups, tuck her in there and then see what the fastest pace is that I can pull that group while she concentrates on hanging on, but she battled on the climbs. She could pace on the drags but the climbs was tough.

On Witkoppen she started cramping. I just kept motivating and helping her to nurse those pesky cramps. By the time we hit the N14 we were still in for a 2:50 and on some stretches on the N14 she was hanging better than I expected. But just past Diepsloot the cramps started getting worse and worse and we started losing time. On the R55 we were still in for the sub 3 but she was really putting everything in. I just kept telling to keep going. Some oaks commented that I must be the riding buddy from hell. As she finished she parked at the medics tent cramping so much that we had to pull the bike out from under her.

Final time was 3:01. She improved her time by 8 or so minutes on last year. I know she can do a 2:50. Will try again next year. Afterwards I saw the Polar data and she was at 80-90% of her max hr for 94% of the time. She really put in a hard effort. You did well Snapshot. Proud of you.

We still went out and did another half lap by going out to Witkoppen.

To all those who complained about the cost of this event I'd like to point out a few items:

Firstly, my house is on the route (Douglas Drive), for a few days before the event the pavements were cleaned up, the road was cleaned and one or two potholes were sorted out. This was not done by the town council but privately and probably paid for by the organisers.

Road closure items like barriers etc. were delivered lateish on Saturday evening and were gone by 15h00 yesterday afternoon. Water and bananas etc. on the route were cold at every point I stopped at.

The start and finish went off without a hitch. I saw plenty of serious looking accidents and if there were no medics there already, I could hear the emergency vehicles coming up behind me on every occasion. I'll bet those poor cyclists who were taken care of by the medics found good value in their entry fee.

Frankly, the well oiled machine that I witnessed yesterday and the peace of mind I had knowing that in the event of an off I would be sorted quickly is worth every penny spent on entry fees, especially considering the fact that I had one or two riders moving across my line and almost taking me out more yesterday than I've seen in the past.

Great event once again and looking forward to next year already.

My time was 4:08 and some change.

Yeah but I had to wait in a long que to get back over the bridge to get to my car :cursing: because of this I'll never do another 94.7 again

Jokes aside thought the event was really well prepared and the atmosphere at the water points and by the general spectators was amazing. Will happily pay for my entry again next year :thumbup:

...heartbreak hill wasn't too bad, not hart broken at all, maybe a light sob or two :blush:

The tailwind down the R55 was a absolute bargain and just what the doctor ordered. :thumbup:

Edited by eddy

I see according the the results that only 19 000 odd finished. Not good if you consider the 31 000 entrants. Obviously need to compare to actual start number but that still equates to a near 40% non finish / start

Well done on finishing, i can only imagine how hot is must have been out there for riders on the course around midday.

Cycle (start 7:15am)

Avg Temperature:25.7 °CMin Temperature:19.0 °CMax Temperature:34.0 °C

Walk to car (start 2:15pm)

Avg Temperature:34.0 °CMin Temperature:28.0 °CMax Temperature:38.0 °C

well done my first one last year on a friends MTB no training 06:24 this year 04:35 also on a MTB and this year I have done 1993 Km of training and is 10Kg lighter. My Start Group was KK we got away 9:11 The heat on the N14 slowed me down. Looking forward to next year with a better seeding.

Great event once again and looking forward to next year already.

My time was 4:08 and some change.

Nicely done, great time considering how long you've been off

Thanks "boet" for helping me and staying with me. Sorry we could not do a sub 3

No sorry required. You did well. 2:50 for you next year.

I see according the the results that only 19 000 odd finished. Not good if you consider the 31 000 entrants. Obviously need to compare to actual start number but that still equates to a near 40% non finish / start

Seems like much the results have not been uploaded yet.