Cannondale lefty?

Johny Bravo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No point in fighting. Some people are very strong sitting behind a keyboard. Confront them in person and they are little puppy dogs. For those who made helpfull comments thankyou. I wil not write off the lefty completely, I wil have another test ride on one.

hahaha

The sado-masochism is strong in this one.

I admit that I have been exploring the rigid idea, but everytime before I can pull the trigger I get distracted by movies like the notebook. Will someone please pass me a two ply extra soft tissue?

Ha!

I don't mind Lefty's, I would just never ride one. But that's because of all my 5 MTB's I have running only 1 has any sort of suspension at all. (my 2x10 AR bike has a Reba dual air...) The rest have lovely carbon or steel rigid forks.

I am yet to do a mtb race (cx, marathon, classic or multi day) in which I feel I have needed a suspension fork. I rode Cascades earlier this year and I would reconsider that if I had to race it, but only if I was actually racing racing..

Rigid rocks. It improves bike handling skills exponentially...

Ha!

I don't mind Lefty's, I would just never ride one. But that's because of all my 5 MTB's I have running only 1 has any sort of suspension at all. (my 2x10 AR bike has a Reba dual air...) The rest have lovely carbon or steel rigid forks.

I am yet to do a mtb race (cx, marathon, classic or multi day) in which I feel I have needed a suspension fork. I rode Cascades earlier this year and I would reconsider that if I had to race it, but only if I was actually racing racing..

Rigid rocks. It improves bike handling skills exponentially...

Multi day events?

So I never liked Canondale lefty forks. They always felt flimsy and wrong to me. The Canondale boys are struggling in the rock gardens on the UCI world champs. Just watching the race live, I know the lefty riders will argue, but most definitely something is not 100 percent with those forks.

I have never seen a Canondale lefty fork.. In fact, I have never seen a Canondale.

I have never seen a Canondale lefty fork.. In fact, I have never seen a Canondale.

seen quite a few Crackendales tho......

Multi day events?

Yeah. Done one or 2.

Did Grape Escape this year, done the coast to coast in NZ, did Expedition Africa (which is AR I admit but fairly gruelling being 600km non stop), done some multi dayers in the UK as well and quite a few others over time.

Did Freedom Challenge rigid SS this year too.

I personally don't really think they are needed in most races and definitely not while training. Rigid teaches you to pick smooth lines and handle your bike properly and once you get into that habbit its only really when you are pushing that envelope for 5 seconds over 1km that they really come into their own. In a race race at cascades I would use shocks.

When I rode there earlier this year I didn't.

:ph34r: I don't like lefties because when you turn right they flex too much.

I supposed you dont think they straight either :ph34r: :ph34r:

Have had 4 lefties, two bike got conversions, from fox, the only shock that can have a similar feel is a sid dual air, but it will take a week to balance and find that niche that lefties have out the box.

currently have 2 and niner rigid.

For us normal peeps, the % difference is so low, a couple grams here and there is no issue. Personal preferance.

Yeah. Done one or 2.

Did Grape Escape this year, done the coast to coast in NZ, did Expedition Africa (which is AR I admit but fairly gruelling being 600km non stop), done some multi dayers in the UK as well and quite a few others over time.

Did Freedom Challenge rigid SS this year too.

I personally don't really think they are needed in most races and definitely not while training. Rigid teaches you to pick smooth lines and handle your bike properly and once you get into that habbit its only really when you are pushing that envelope for 5 seconds over 1km that they really come into their own. In a race race at cascades I would use shocks.

When I rode there earlier this year I didn't.

Well done, and all goes to prove it can be done, if you are a hard-core masochist all the better...

But as I understand it, the idea of front suspension is not only about comfort. but keeping the wheel on the ground, important when it comes to braking and control. At least that's what I have come enjoy, especially on the long bumpy and sometimes technical descents at the likes of Sabie and Giants Castle.

Suspension has come a way since the first one I got, a nicely machined Manitou back in abour '92, which had polymers for spring and damping. Love my Lefites though, all 4 of them. Items of great craft. The idea of needle rollers grew out of the Fatty, which I used just about everyday on my pavement warrior.

Edited by kosmonooit

Opinions are not allowed on TheHub...

Everyone is a professional rider here. How dare you question a lefty..?

After reading this thread, I have come to the conclusion that there are lots of "opinionated chops" on the hub! Give the man a break, he was making a valid comment!

Million dollar question. If the lefty wasn't proprietary to Canondale, would we see other bikes using it? IMO that's a big fat one sided YES!

No point in fighting. Some people are very strong sitting behind a keyboard. Confront them in person and they are little puppy dogs. For those who made helpfull comments thankyou. I wil not write off the lefty completely, I wil have another test ride on one.

Get this, man...

I mean look at it.

Yum nom nom

http://media.cannondale.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/small_image/725x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/c/_/c_13_3VP90_crb_4.png