Poor braking performance after bike wash

Wimmas

Hi guys

After every bike wash my hydraulic disc brakes don't perform well and takes a few rides for them to "recover".

It feels like I'm going to break the lever off and there is minimal braking power. This ALWAYS happends after the bike is washed.

I use car wash soap and dilute it in water etc.

What could it be?

I use powasol to wash my bike. Not an expert on soap but can be that there is a wax product in the car wash soap that creates a wax layer on the pads or disc. Normally the car wash soap has those wax ball bubble things

Edited by flat29

dishwashing soap for the wash and Mr Min on the frame afterwards to keep it nice and shiny.

the Mr Min also helps with the next wash, lot less elbow grease required, just don't let it get near your brakes (calipers/rotors)

I have exactly the same problem on my Elixer 9's. Doesn't matter if its washed with sunlight, powasol or muc-off. I avoid cleaning the rotors and can only assume its due to run off as it doesn't occur from just water. Switching to organic pads briefly alleviated the problem but they wear so quickly it's not worth it.

Dont Spray your brakes/pads or too much in the BB area.Use a bucket and a cloth dont just hose down your bike like a car wash.Clean frame hand to bucket style then remove wheels and clean them seperate away from brakes.If you using high pressure do it accurately away from brakes. :thumbup:

if you clean your rotors, it's not so much a layer of something added to the braking surface, but rather the removal of brake pad material from the rotor surface.

What you need to do is the exact same thing you have to do after installing new pads: running the rotors in.

Mine do the same, but after a very brief running-in period. they back to stopping planetary rotation. All good.

edit: the above excludes the use of Q20, oil or silicone based 'bikeshine' aftercare products. Be Very careful with application of these sprays around the brakes.

Edited by Capricorn

If you not lazy like me you just wrap your brakes roughly with plastic shopping packet, then spray clean :thumbup:

if you clean your rotors, it's not so much a layer of something added to the braking surface, but rather the removal of brake pad material from the rotor surface.

What you need to do is the exact same thing you have to do after installing new pads: running the rotors in.

Mine do the same, but after a very brief running-in period. they back to stopping planetary rotation. All good.

I find this to work 4 me too on my avid 9s but the avid 3s took lil longer. (Could be different brake pads, I didn't check yet)

Hi guys

After every bike wash my hydraulic disc brakes don't perform well and takes a few rides for them to "recover".

It feels like I'm going to break the lever off and there is minimal braking power. This ALWAYS happends after the bike is washed.

I use car wash soap and dilute it in water etc.

What could it be?

dont wash it

Had the same problem with my bike, my buddy pointed out I shouldn't use Q20 on the bike problem solved.

I wasn't spraying the brakes but it was contaminating the break disks some how and I had no braking power

Just be careful of getting any kind of contamination on your brake pads and rotors.

So when you wash try not get degreaser / soap / lube on either of these.