Rudy Project helmet quality

Brighter-Lights

I'm interested to hear if other users experienced similar quality issues I've experienced.

I bought 2 Rudy Project Sterling helmets new.

Both helmets came with the web/bug net type of padding. After less than 6 months, the seams on the pads popped open, as if they were not welded/fused properly. (only happened on one of the helmets initially, the other one some time later)

The helmets came with spare sets of pads that were different to the bug net type. I replaced the bug net with the spare pads and they also popped open on the seams after very little use - maybe 3 months use...

Within one year the retention system on both failed, one totally broke off.

I found the red plastic parts on the helmet also faded quickly - poor UV resistance.

Before these helmets I had a Uvex which pads looked like new after 2 years of frequent use.

I bought 2 Catlike helmets in the meantime and no issues with them.

The reason for this post is that I have 2 little used Rudy Sterling helmets in storage and wonder if it's worth replacing the retention system and pads yet again, or if the ones I have maybe had quality issues from the start...

How long has your Rudy's pads and retention strap been lasting?

I think under a year total use is a bit on the disappointing side...

post-3074-0-41575600-1379404772_thumb.jpg

post-3074-0-97335600-1379404774_thumb.jpg

I have the same helmet, I think mine is an older model though. So far haven't encountered the same problems. But the different replacement pads...i agree...its weird...no idea why they would do that.

I also had problems with my Rudy helmet. The buckle that locks the strap just below your ear broke after about 10 rides. Used super glue to repair it but only use my Rudy for races and not training so cant comment on it's durability

I also had problems with my Rudy helmet. The buckle that locks the strap just below your ear broke after about 10 rides. Used super glue to repair it but only use my Rudy for races and not training so cant comment on it's durability

Exact same thing happened to me after about 3 months.

I have the same helmet, I think mine is an older model though. So far haven't encountered the same problems. But the different replacement pads...i agree...its weird...no idea why they would do that.

They're not different replacement pads. They're alternative pads to the bug net pads. The bug net can get hot and some people prefer to not ride with the net and use the other pads.

Well glad I dodged that bullet then...bought a helmet a month ago and the choice was between Rudy Project and Specialized Propero 2.

Crikey, Ive got the same helmet and mine is 100%

Do you land regularly on your pip and leave this standing in the sun when not in use?

My helmet is a year and half old and is in good nick, no faded or broken bits... that grey strap isnt so grey anymore but rather a shade of brown but that I can live with.

They're not different replacement pads. They're alternative pads to the bug net pads. The bug net can get hot and some people prefer to not ride with the net and use the other pads.

yes after first ride with bug net, I replaced them with the other ones. I like the wind through my hair.

yes after first ride with bug net, I replaced them with the other ones. I like the wind through my hair.

That was actually one of the things that put me off the Rudy Project helmet...I kinda have a bit of a 'fro and a bug net made it feel like I was wearing a beanie under my helmet

I have the same model with no issues after about 18months. However I have seen other people with the same model encountering similar issues. So not sure what the common cause is of failure is, perhaps a batch that was faulty?

I've had a Sterling for at least 3 years.

And now Windmax...

No issues whatsoever.

Sorry to hear.

They are outstanding products in my view.

Edited by ' Dale

ok....makes sense....thanks for that