Help! 27.5 vs 29

Jacques9874

Hey guys! I'm 15 and really competitive. I enter every race I can find and recently started winning most of them. Unfortunetely I'm still on a 26er. I really want to upgrade to a carbon 27.5 or 29er i've looked at a silverback syncra but I need more info, any advice?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call being on a 26er unfortunate but 27.5 seems to be all the hype these days.

It all depends on what terrain you intend to ride.

You're really not changing much going from 26 to 27.5.

Keep what you've got or go 29er. If you go 29er do it for the right reasons not the current vogue reason.

At your age I'd bet budget and value are far more important than 26 or 29...

It is not just about diameter diffrence. Read the Giant press release and check all the

technical data of the research they dit between the diffrent wheel sizes at

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/650B-For-All-Giants-Elite-Level-Mountain-Bikes.html.

All Merida, Giant and Scott pro riders will be on 650B next year, only way they will be able to match Nino Schurter on his 650B

cool harvey did beat him on n 29er 2 weeks ago. all the brands are putting the pros on 27.5 so that

all think we must now buy one because that is wat the pro riders do. To the OP go test some bikes and

then decide what you want to ride

Edited by flat29

It is not just about diameter diffrence. Read the Giant press release and check all the

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/650B-For-All-Giants-Elite-Level-Mountain-Bikes.html.

All Merida, Giant and Scott pro riders will be on 650B next year, only way they will be able to match Nino Schurter on his 650B

Of course, they have to convince everybody to ditch their 29ers for 650bs... or the millions still on 26ers to go 650b.

It's all about making money...not really 'wonderful' new technology.

I like this one: 'That said, if the market progresses the way we believe it will, 29-inch will be phased out in approximately two years....'

Some time ago in a 29/26 discussion I was flamed when I said 29er is mostly a marketing thing and that ppl must watch as 650b will be the next thing - I was just wrong with the time frame, I said see in 3 years... it happened much sooner.

I'm not against 29 or 650b, for new bike buyers it's a nice choice, but upgrading from top spec 26er to 650b is a really small difference no matter what they try to make you believe.

Edited by Brighter-Lights

Baron, that's the biggest load of shaite I've heard in a while. The reason Schurter is so good is because HE IS SO GOOD. His technical skills are amazing, he is strong, powerful and the fittest of the lot.

To say that he wins because he is on 650 and the only way the others will be able to catch him is by switching from niner or sixer to 650 is completely irrational, not to mention blatantly untrue.

You've been sucked in HARD by the marketing material, dude. And next time you post a gem like that, just think about it for a second.

It's like saying Kallis has a better batting average than Tsotobe because he has a different manufacturers bat and bigger shoes.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

I'm a big Giant fan and would probably like an Anthem Advanced 650b if I had to buy a new bike, but what they're trying to say now is that 29er are not so great and that everything will go 650b - back to small wheels...

"27.5 TECHNOLOGY: Three reasons to believe

Lighter Weight

• 27.5-inch wheels are only five percent heavier than 26-inch. By comparison, 29-inch wheels are 11 percent heavier than 26-inch. (true for top of the line wheels yes)

• Overall weights of 27.5 bikes also trend closer to 26 than heavier 29 versions of the same series.

More Efficient

• 27.5 wheels accelerate much like 26, outperforming the more sluggish feel of 29-inch wheels. (Saying 26" wheels accelerate quickly and 29ers are sluggish)

• 27.5 wheels roll over obstacles with much more control than 26. That translates into more efficient cornering,

acceleration and braking capabilities. (Why then is the majority downhill bikes still 26"? because they handle quickly and doesn't seem to have too much of a problem rolling over the rough stuff - you decide...)

Better Control

• The larger the diameter of a wheel, the greater the contact patch of the tire. A larger contact patch results in better

traction—which improves acceleration, deceleration and cornering. 27.5 wheels provide a contact patch that is similar

to 29-inch wheels. (depends on rider skill, enough grip on my 26er to ride on the front wheel when braking hard)

• The larger the wheel, the larger the frame dimensions must be—and that leads to unwanted flex. A flexing frame

causes sloppy handling and slower acceleration under heavy power. A 27.5 frame flexes less than a 29 frame,

resulting in better control. (Saying 29ers are flexy)

Edited by Brighter-Lights

To the OP though. If you're 15, how tall are you? I ask because you don't want to upgrade and then all of a sudden grow 5 inches and then be stuck with a bike that is both too small for you and then have to upgrade again.

If I were in your position, I'd keep what I had at the moment and concentrate in growing my skillset and technical ability, not to mention strength and cardio ability. The sixer will help you with that, due to the following reasons:

Niners DO allow you to take slightly more speed in certain sections without you relying on skill to get through. The sixer will "force" you to improve your technical skills, which will stand you in very good stead when you do eventually make the move across to a "better" bike.

They roll better on the straight and narrow stuff, but this can be sorted by different tires for the sixer and then increasing your strength on the bike. Again, you will be forced to get stronger, and if you're already winning races then you have a great base to build on.

Personally if you're winning already, and are 15 y/o then I'd stay on the 26 and concentrate on improving your fitness, skill and power. The jump to a new bike may help you initially to better times but it won't do anything to help you increase your skills or fitness. Which is what you need at this stage.

To the OP though. If you're 15, how tall are you? I ask because you don't want to upgrade and then all of a sudden grow 5 inches and then be stuck with a bike that is both too small for you and then have to upgrade again.

If I were in your position, I'd keep what I had at the moment and concentrate in growing my skillset and technical ability, not to mention strength and cardio ability. The sixer will help you with that, due to the following reasons:

Niners DO allow you to take slightly more speed in certain sections without you relying on skill to get through. The sixer will "force" you to improve your technical skills, which will stand you in very good stead when you do eventually make the move across to a "better" bike.

They roll better on the straight and narrow stuff, but this can be sorted by different tires for the sixer and then increasing your strength on the bike. Again, you will be forced to get stronger, and if you're already winning races then you have a great base to build on.

Personally if you're winning already, and are 15 y/o then I'd stay on the 26 and concentrate on improving your fitness, skill and power. The jump to a new bike may help you initially to better times but it won't do anything to help you increase your skills or fitness. Which is what you need at this stage.

Good Stuff Armpies!

Nino does not win because he is on a 650b.. but that is what the marketing depts at bike inc would like you to believe.

Edited by openmind