27.5" vs 29"

KleinLenise

I think this topic will never produce a clear cut answer. If you want to buy a new bike, buy a 29'er without question. I can't speak for the all the "kortgatte" (1.6 and smaller) for who the 650B can make sense. If however if you own a high spec 26'er that you do not want to give away for no money or even worse, can't sell it, consider the 650B. I did it and just love the feel of the bike. In other words, not an option for the entry level 26'er as a conversion option and definitely not an option for a new purchase! Finish and klaar!!!!!

Erm... Yeah. Okay. I'll just throw my sixer away then. And stop coveting the many other sixers being release in any other category except cross country bikes.

Cos we all know 26" is dead.

:huh:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or consider one of these.

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/109/photos/41635/s780_WHAT_THE_Santa_Cruz_V10_Fat_Bike.jpg?1346253540

Thats one helluva Spruit machine that!!!

A tall guy perspective:

For a bike set-up as a XCO racer, technical stuff on a 29er is way easier. Imo 2 related reasons: saddle height and h/bar is more aligned, i.e. easier to get your weight distribution correct and 2nd you sit more in, than on the bike.

I do agree it is possible to set-up a 26er to fit properly for a tall guy but for a off-the-shelf purchase the choice would be a 29er.

If your bike is set-up for trail riding with a slacker head angle, a 26er kick-ass. Flat fire roads and steep climbs are a pain in the butt though.

As such I agree with most of the comments above, ie. wheel size is determined by what you ride most often, except tall guys should first test a 29er.

I am afraid 29ers could possible become extinct in the near future. It was created by marketing hype and we all know marketing chances with wind direction.

Why don't you check if your current 26er farme can take 650b wheels. If it does, then fit 650b to your current bike and see if you like it. This way you don't have to drop a whole lot of cash into a new bike.

After some research I found that 650b will fit my Epic. Going to give it a try some time in the future.

Tried a 29er hard tail and it was not for me personally. Climbed lekker up the tech single track. Definitely less effort required than when on my 26er.

Did not enjoy the 29er as much as my 26er when coming down the single track.

That being said, I am an average rider. Good riders can do amazing things with any wheel size.

What year and model epic did you do the conversion on?

A tall guy perspective:

For a bike set-up as a XCO racer, technical stuff on a 29er is way easier. Imo 2 related reasons: saddle height and h/bar is more aligned, i.e. easier to get your weight distribution correct and 2nd you sit more in, than on the bike.

Funnily enough it's actually not that different ito setup. Yes, the bar will most likely be higher on the niner, which will help you with your setup, but as long as your top tube and seat tube measurements are correct, it shouldn't matter what wheel size you're on when it comes to finding the right "fit" - you can add spacers to the stack on the headset to make the bars higher, or go for a bigger rise in the bar and so on.

Granted a 29er may have a better "out the box" fit for a tall oke, but only due to the increased handlebar height (as you pointed out) - seat height will remain constant though. So as you said it's just a case of getting the alignment right...

Funnily enough it's actually not that different ito setup. Yes, the bar will most likely be higher on the niner, which will help you with your setup, but as long as your top tube and seat tube measurements are correct, it shouldn't matter what wheel size you're on when it comes to finding the right "fit" - you can add spacers to the stack on the headset to make the bars higher, or go for a bigger rise in the bar and so on.

Granted a 29er may have a better "out the box" fit for a tall oke, but only due to the increased handlebar height (as you pointed out) - seat height will remain constant though. So as you said it's just a case of getting the alignment right...

BB heights on 29'ers are generally lower than the front and rear hubs vs a 26'er, this also contributes to the "in the bike feel".

Yes, I built one up.

Full XTR with ZTR wheels.

Wiil send you a pic.

Wanna buy it? I got my wife a carbon Spez to replace the Zula, so now its just sitting in the garage

Would like to see pic's of bike (clearnance of wheels). Do have a 26" Zula, thinking about coverting (if worthwhile). Will need wheels, tyres and shock.

BB heights on 29'ers are generally lower than the front and rear hubs vs a 26'er, this also contributes to the "in the bike feel".

You're only in it until you hit the twisties and then you're off :-)

Dear KleinLenise

Is the constant negativity leaving a damper on your confidence?

I grew up in a very negative environment and was made to feel like no bike I ever rode was good enough. This started at a very young age where someone very close to me gave me a whole lecture about how useless 26ers are. These incidents and the constant negativity left a damper on my confidence and ability for the rest of my life.

As I grew up this continued and I found it very difficult to ride any bike, and just went through bicycles irresponsibly. I felt like I was not creating the life I wanted to lead. I found that I did not really know what bike I wanted at all and pretty much felt like I was in a continual state of confusion.

I discovered Dianetics and went into the Center to see if I could get some help. I was given a personality analysis and the results really mirrored how I felt. I signed up to get some Dianetics therapy and also started reading the book.

Within two months I had noticed some very major changes in my life.

During one of the sessions I unlocked what I refer to as a trigger point which was holding the negativity in place. This in turn unlocked a whole series of things and once these had come to view, I noticed that I no longer thought of myself as useless and a failure.

Since that point I have found a renewed sense of purpose and direction in my life. Straight after I started with Dianetics I got a great BMX bike and haven't given other bikes a second look. I am riding a bike now that I wanted as a kid and teenager but was never able to ride. I have helped others when in need and I find I can look people in the eyes with confidence. I have also found that I am more alert, my mind works quicker and is sharper than ever before.

Dear KleinLenise

Is the constant negativity leaving a damper on your confidence?

I grew up in a very negative environment and was made to feel like no bike I ever rode was good enough. This started at a very young age where someone very close to me gave me a whole lecture about how useless 26ers are. These incidents and the constant negativity left a damper on my confidence and ability for the rest of my life.

As I grew up this continued and I found it very difficult to ride any bike, and just went through bicycles irresponsibly. I felt like I was not creating the life I wanted to lead. I found that I did not really know what bike I wanted at all and pretty much felt like I was in a continual state of confusion.

I discovered Dianetics and went into the Center to see if I could get some help. I was given a personality analysis and the results really mirrored how I felt. I signed up to get some Dianetics therapy and also started reading the book.

Within two months I had noticed some very major changes in my life.

During one of the sessions I unlocked what I refer to as a trigger point which was holding the negativity in place. This in turn unlocked a whole series of things and once these had come to view, I noticed that I no longer thought of myself as useless and a failure.

Since that point I have found a renewed sense of purpose and direction in my life. Straight after I started with Dianetics I got a great BMX bike and haven't given other bikes a second look. I am riding a bike now that I wanted as a kid and teenager but was never able to ride. I have helped others when in need and I find I can look people in the eyes with confidence. I have also found that I am more alert, my mind works quicker and is sharper than ever before.

???

You're only in it until you hit the twisties and then you're off :-)

My SS 29'er is far quicker on tight ST than the slack HA MOTO.

A tall guy perspective:

I do agree it is possible to set-up a 26er to fit properly for a tall guy but for a off-the-shelf purchase the choice would be a 29er.

If your bike is set-up for trail riding with a slacker head angle, a 26er kick-ass. Flat fire roads and steep climbs are a pain in the butt though.

As such I agree with most of the comments above, ie. wheel size is determined by what you ride most often, except tall guys should first test a 29er.

I am afraid 29ers could possible become extinct in the near future. It was created by marketing hype and we all know marketing chances with wind direction.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n372/codyblu15/1229457019393.jpg

Edited by The Crow

I love all these guys saying 29ers will be dead soon, because it was marketing hype. That means if Tata create the most hype and best marketing campaign we will all be driving Tatas soon. No one will consider the quality and reliability of a Toyota, the quality and craftmanship of a Audi. You get my point. God help us all. This is just so old, please stop with these vs threads. I am gonna go ride a spinning cycle in the gym, cause I dont know which size the wheel is, and I dont fricken care.