Die Burger Road Race

Mylolylo

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies guys. Finished the DC in 7.37, best ever and felt i could have done better, so definitely going to go for a sub 3.

I'm a newbie to the race starting in C. Any advice on the best strategy? i.e. Hang on up Helshoogte and stay with bunch till the end? Or does the race break up on the last few hills before Stellies?

I'm a newbie to the race starting in C. Any advice on the best strategy? i.e. Hang on up Helshoogte and stay with bunch till the end? Or does the race break up on the last few hills before Stellies?

Tugboat,

If the South Easter blows, then the race can be tough on the R44.

Positioning will be key.

Placing yourself in the front 1/3 would be a good idea - to avoid crashes, to avoid getting dropped on the ascents.

Try to not to loose too much contact with the faster guys up Helz. If you do, do not try and turn yourself inside out trying to hang on. There is always bunches forming going down the other side towards Pniel and the T junction. Get in one of these, and stick with them.

Word of caution. The "new" section past the Victor Verster Prison is very fast (especialy with the wind in the back as we had it on Saturday), but is also very bumpy (almost like corrugation) on the edge / yellow line. If at all possible, try not to ride too close to the left of the road, it is hard on the hands / wrists.

Thanks for advice guys. Can a break get away on the final ascent or will the bunch normally reel them in?

Word of caution. The "new" section past the Victor Verster Prison is very fast (especialy with the wind in the back as we had it on Saturday), but is also very bumpy (almost like corrugation) on the edge / yellow line. If at all possible, try not to ride too close to the left of the road, it is hard on the hands / wrists.

Amen to that! Even on 28mm touring tyres with nice spongy low pressures last winter, the inside line was a bone shaking section

@Tugboat: Being a fat arse I got dropped by the leading group of D on the climb up Hells last year...was about 20 bike lengths behind them...chased my arse off for the next 6km at close to 60kph to catch them at Boschendal...finished 3 or 4th in the group eventually...so if you get dropped, you can still get back, but it takes a lot out of your legs ;)

If the South Easter is blowing, watch-out for the guttering on the uphill drag from Wellington near the Windmeul Cellar...you don't won't to get dropped there...its still a long way home if you're on your own :whistling:

Thanks Lizard. Jeepers, sounds like its quite a sprint to get over the first hill. Starting to k@k off now. Rode on the old Hels last wkend and its not in very good shape so that won't make it any easier.....

Does the new route change make the overall average speed faster or slower ? Not sure if i should change my cassette or not.

Does the new route change make the overall average speed faster or slower ? Not sure if i should change my cassette or not.

I don't think the change should warrant a change of cassette from last year. A 23-11 will be fine :P

There will be lots of wind in the Wellington/Paarl area. They normally reel most in that get away up helz. In my opinion the race starts at the 4 way as you leave Wellington towards Stellies. Lots of rollers and some nice wind

There will be lots of wind in the Wellington/Paarl area. They normally reel most in that get away up helz. In my opinion the race starts at the 4 way as you leave Wellington towards Stellies. Lots of rollers and some nice wind

Only nice wind is a tailwind ;)