SAd but the Hub is not safe anymore!

Ride4Life

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news this. Glad you're around to tell the story.

What I've learnt:

1. Don't let a buyer come to your house and don't give out personal info.

2. Meet him in front of a police station, in a garage forecourt or in front of a bank where there are cameras everywhere

3. Make sure he knows this

4. If he has an issue with it, tough for him.

Sad world we live in.

Ultimately each person has to decide for themselves as to the route they wish to take when selling their goods. Forewarned is forearmed in my opinion. Believe me I dont have an arsenal of machine-guns or burly bodyguards at my side, but if I were to be selling something and had to arrange a meeting I would consider the following, a very busy public place that is well covered by CCTV cameras. And I would never go alone. Personally I dont have a problem with someone coming to my home to buy something. I am fortunate to live in a private estate and in such an event I would ask the security guys to be close at hand and only to let the vehicle out if I say so. But thats just my feelings on this matter. And I would not allow anyone to my home if I did not live in a security complex. Crime happens all around us, and we more often than not dont know its there until we are faced with it. Just pay attention and YOU dictate the terms of the meet and deal, never the other way. And never let your goods out of your sight or into the hands of another person without full and final payment.

Only sold 1 bike through the Hub. We met at a busy shopping center, buyer checked out the bike, we went to the bank and buyer paid the cash into my bank account (No fake money, scam etc). He was smiling as he got a good deal, i was smiling as i had lots more beer money.

Jeez man that socks . This can happen at home when someone comes to view/buy your bike. Any suggestions on how to prevent it?

Eish...glad you are ok though...

This marks the point where I will no longer sell to people with less than 200 posts or outside my province. On any new sales I will indicate as such.

But but but but.... I thought you LIKED me!?

Jeez man that socks . This can happen at home when someone comes to view/buy your bike. Any suggestions on how to prevent it?

Bring your friends/familys with? more than 1 seller overpower the 1 buyer :)

Bad news this. Glad you're around to tell the story.

What I've learnt:

1. Don't let a buyer come to your house and don't give out personal info.

2. Meet him in front of a police station, in a garage forecourt or in front of a bank where there are cameras everywhere

3. Make sure he knows this

4. If he has an issue with it, tough for him.

Sad world we live in.

Afraid I fail on all counts

Been to a sellers house

Had a seller come to my sisters house in Cape town

Had a buyer come to my house and still surviving

Afraid I fail on all counts

Been to a sellers house

Had a seller come to my sisters house in Cape town

Had a buyer come to my house and still surviving

Same...Had a buyer come to my place

Accepted payment for items with buyers knowing I wasn't based in Durbs (but was flying up the week after)

Dealt solely over SMS & email while selling items to a guy in JHB (tracking nr on the day I got payment)

Sold my roadbike at Canal Walk n a sunday afternoon, top level carpark while all the shops were closed (wife in the car)

Went to a guy's house on the potential that I may sell my DH bike - payment was processed on his tablet

erm... yeah. That's all I can think of for now!