SAd but the Hub is not safe anymore!

Ride4Life

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@OP, how did he contact you? Was your cell number on ad and what is his hub name. Details please so we can all learn from this. Really sorry to hear about your loss.

Scary, not a nice experience, happy that you came out of it healthy and perhaps wiser (and thanks for helping make us wiser).

I agree with those who've said report it to the cops and then go your insurance. I agree too with those suggesting some sort of tightening up on HUB security, whether by admin or ourselves .... maybe a thread/section where prospective buyers / sellers can ask for references from other bubbers. I know this is supposed to be what the ratings are for, but they're easily gippo'd.

Guys Please be careful! The Hub is not safe anymore!!!!! I posted my bike for sale and was contacted by an Nick Edwards (that is if its his real name)

I agreed to meet up so he can look at it. To my suprise he pulled a gun on me and took my pride and joy! This all happened very fast and all I could think of is dont shoot me!

I am lucky that I got of lightly unharmed from this but now Im minus my bike. Not to mention how am I gonna explain this to my insurance. Please guys be extra careful out there! If the Hub adminastrator can maybe contact me to try and get hold of this guys details it would help.

Hi Ride4Life,

I'm very shocked and saddened to hear of this, but thankful you are unharmed.

I'll contact you via PM to see how we can assist.

Perhaps it's time for us to lockdown replies to only via The Hub . I haven't read through this thread yet, but have already seen comments in this regard. I'll open a separate thread to get feedback and suggestions on this.

Regards,

Matt

I had a weird incident a few weeks back regarding a ss bike I tried to sell. A guy contact me very interested, We agreed on a price we exchange details. When I tried to arranged to meet him at a neutral place the guy went quiet. 2 weeks later he then contacts me again saying he was away and busy and he didn't get a chance to get hold of me. I then ask him what area he was from so I could meet him at convenient public place he again went quiet. This is very strange.... ? So I have cancelled the add and decided to keep my ss. maybe this guy got a deal somewhere else but to stop communicating 2 times is a little fishy ? I hope you come right with your claim good luck.

I had a weird incident a few weeks back regarding a ss bike I tried to sell. A guy contact me very interested, We agreed on a price we exchange details. When I tried to arranged to meet him at a neutral place the guy went quiet. 2 weeks later he then contacts me again saying he was away and busy and he didn't get a chance to get hold of me. I then ask him what area he was from so I could meet him at convenient public place he again went quiet. This is very strange.... ? So I have cancelled the add and decided to keep my ss. maybe this guy got a deal somewhere else but to stop communicating 2 times is a little fishy ? I hope you come right with your claim good luck.

thats very dodge AS I ALWAYS SAY TRUST YOUR GUT, IF IT TELLS YOU RUN THEN........RUN FORREST RUN

Question:

Is this not what RICA is all about? For this chap to get a cellphone he had to provide some identification (yes, I know this can be faked). So if he did contact you via cellphone is it not possible to get a PI involved to see if he can track this @##$$# down via the information he used to RICA his sim card?? worth a shot perhaps?

One of the reasons that I only make my classifieds visible to registered users, I'm sure there's a lot more unregistered chancers / criminals scanning the classifieds than registered.

I don't meet anyone anywhere but in my secure complex.

If someone wants to test ride one of my motorbikes they need to put the cash on the table first

This is really bad. Glad you are ok.

If I may don my Sherlock Holmes cap quickly and add my feelings on this, if the ad that Tumbleweed posted is the ad to which this guy has replied and then apprehended the OP and stolen the bike, it is quite possible that the thief is not a Hubber. The ad clearly gives a cell number for the OP and anyone browsing is able to see that, they need not be a hubber. Is this correct admin?

Maybe all personal details should be removed from an ad, and only members can contact each other in the event of a sale. I know this does not prevent crime, but it at least requires more info from the party wanting to buy. Just my 2c

And to the OP, most shopping centres have CCTV cameras running, so even if your transaction took place in an isolated place, there is a chance a camera would have picked up something. Even if its the vehicle leaving the carpark. Its just another piece of evidence at your disposal. Glad you are ok.

If I may don my Sherlock Holmes cap quickly and add my feelings on this, if the ad that Tumbleweed posted is the ad to which this guy has replied and then apprehended the OP and stolen the bike, it is quite possible that the thief is not a Hubber. The ad clearly gives a cell number for the OP and anyone browsing is able to see that, they need not be a hubber. Is this correct admin?

This is correct.

When creating an advert contact details can optionally be added (in addition to PM) and users can specify whether these details are only visible to members or to everyone.

Making it members only does provide an extra level of security (or at least an additional hurdle and tracking opportunity for criminals).

Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 11.02.12 AM.png

WTF :eek:

Where did you meet him. Should of tried to follow him,in your car back to his house.

AND PULL OUT A old tube from under your seat and scare him to death,,,,,,THE DUDE IS ALIVE CAUSE HE DONE THE RIGHT THING

For once you right Dips, everyone knows you never take a spare tube to a gunfight :thumbup: