XT wont stop me or lock up.

Neg

So just built a HT XTC and have NEW XT breaks on.

the Front are cracking and if i'm not careful, they lock instantly! :)

the rear however are weak to sat the least.... i try pull really hard on the lever and they just squeal and dont lock up at all. when im not riding and pushing the bike they lock with one finger! but with momentum... no chance.... when i put the breaks on, the cables were too long for the rear and had my LBS shorten them, the cables.... could they have botched the job? did the same to the front and they are fine...??

Pads?

fluid?

rear rotor is 160. front is 180.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 500% sure someone will soon suggest that you bleed them.

I would suggest that you find a loooooong downhill and apply the rear brakes for an extended period to 'burn' them in. Some of the braking compound on the pads has to rub off onto the discs for brakes to work properly.

You have air in the system, happens sometimes when you open the system and shorten the brake lines (you have a spongy feeling on the leaver?) You can also sand your pads with 200+ grit sandpaper if the system is second hand, the blocks tend to clog up a bit. I advise a brake bleed. We've seen it quite a few times on the new XT's, and always the back brake.

Edited by LikeToRide

Clean the rotors and pads with some thinners and then put through a heat cycle down a long, they should be perfect. If they are new this should work.

I'm also having problems with my rear XT brake. Works fine I guess, but I always have brake rub. Bare in mind, I know very little about MTBs so a lot of what you're about to hear will shock you.. I was told by my LBS that the disc had warped and needed to be replaced. So brand new disc and pads went on. Still rubbed. I've tried a million "tricks" like adjusting the caliper etc, but all to no avail. Sorry for the hijack, but seeing as we're on the topic of XT brakes, any advice?

Try bedding them in. Find a long hill and apply just the rear brake hard until you almost stop. Repeat 15 to 20 times.

Tip. When you brake hard keep low and move weight well over the back wheel.

Even lower your saddle.

I'm also having problems with my rear XT brake. Works fine I guess, but I always have brake rub. Bare in mind, I know very little about MTBs so a lot of what you're about to hear will shock you.. I was told by my LBS that the disc had warped and needed to be replaced. So brand new disc and pads went on. Still rubbed. I've tried a million "tricks" like adjusting the caliper etc, but all to no avail. Sorry for the hijack, but seeing as we're on the topic of XT brakes, any advice?

Do the pistons go all the way back in when you release the lever?

Those xt brakes brakes are really crap. Worst ever. I will take them off your hands for R500. I will even pay for shipping.

Yes, damaged my rear hub a while ago,

How did damaging the hub affect the 'truth' of your wheels? I can see that a bent axle can give you rotor rub though.

I would start with a disc and pad clean. My XT brakes are awesome but when I spill chain lube or something greasy on the back disc it does what yours does. Sand paper the pads and clean it all with thinners. To clear up the rotor rub loosen the caliper and spin the wheel, then pull the brake and while holding it in tighten the bolts on the caliper. This will sort rub on a straight disc.