Just another reason why motorists hate cyclists

Right...... Here is a question. Please excuse it but I am a complete Noob to riding in SA. When I started riding on the road in Europe (recreationally), I was always taught to always ride two abreast, well spaced when on the road. The logic was that you had to dominate a lane in order to ensure that cars only overtook when it was safe to do so, similar to if there was a slow car on the road. Theoretically, this reduces the risk of cars squeezing past and putting you at risk. What is the etiquette here? I assume from this post that single file and non domination is the way to do it here????

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right...... Here is a question. Please excuse it but I am a complete Noob to riding in SA. When I started riding on the road in Europe (recreationally), I was always taught to always ride two abreast, well spaced when on the road. The logic was that you had to dominate a lane in order to ensure that cars only overtook when it was safe to do so, similar to if there was a slow car on the road. Theoretically, this reduces the risk of cars squeezing past and putting you at risk. What is the etiquette here? I assume from this post that single file and non domination is the way to do it here????

You also ride on the opposite side or the road. Different set of rules and road users (mentality). The OP was referring to this lot giving the rest a bad name and thus perpetuating road rage

Yours is the logical / 1st world approach, but we must never do that, lest we inspire hatred from motorists who may have to change lanes to pass, or god forbid, slow down and wait behind us until it is safe to do so.

When I was last in Switzerland noticed this - a car will see pedestrians approaching a crossing - slow down, stop and let them cross before continuing. Pedestrians and cyclists have the right of way. Its the law

yes, that was also the case about 25 years ago when i first started riding. the reckoning was you were more visible by riding 2 abreast. personally , i didn't like it , especially if i was not on the 'inside'. even the ppa advocated riding at least a metre into the road and not grovelling in the gutter.

Although a also get angry at people riding like this, I must admit that I have given it some thought, what you are saying. Is the guy cycling in the middle of the road not better of than the guy trying to stay almost off the road, getting clipped with the mirror.

I guess, it still is Africa, so the European mindset probably does not apply here.

One was riding on the edge of the left lane the others were in the emergency lane, would you still have had a rant if they all were riding abreast in the emergency lane. At least they were out training.

Bunch of twats..... No not the cyclists...... NO YOU ARE THE TWATS....... Making fun of them because they are fat...... FFS they are cyclists, one of us....... Do you have to be scrawny and thin and looking like you are anorexic to be called a cyclist. Shame on you you bunch of maargatte!!!!!

if I read what utter bollocks you people wrote I would say cyclists are not really people.

Edited by Big H*