BOOMSLANG!!!

Vasbyt was good but that bit you mentioned swallowed half my wheel on the way up there, it is amazing the amount of water that mountain soaks up. The jeep track looked like a small war had been held on it.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That whole slope at the Bridal Path looks unstable, considering how wide spread the slips were. From the top of Mamba you could see that one the slip took out almost the whole slope. Not sure how far your budget is going to go to stabilise that slope. Might be better ways to spend cash, as I suspect that is going to be a recurring problem.

It's Parks who are going to have to spend to restabilize there. And they have to do it on that side as well as up to the tar road, as that's the only way Telkom can get up to their radio mast...

and on the Bridal path side, that's the contour path... Needs hectic stabilization.

That whole slope at the Bridal Path looks unstable, considering how wide spread the slips were. From the top of Mamba you could see that one the slip took out almost the whole slope. Not sure how far your budget is going to go to stabilise that slope. Might be better ways to spend cash, as I suspect that is going to be a recurring problem.

Gabions reinforcing the trail will work, but as you say if the slope decides to slip somewhere else, then we are back at sq 1.

The trail is such a good one, I am going to try everything. Parks will be repairing the JT undercutting on level 5 heading towards the Mast, they are securing budget now for next year. I got in early and requested they include Switchbacks while the labour is available. I am expecting a shortfall in their budget, so am planning for the inevitable.

Gabions reinforcing the trail will work, but as you say if the slope decides to slip somewhere else, then we are back at sq 1.

The trail is such a good one, I am going to try everything. Parks will be repairing the JT undercutting on level 5 heading towards the Mast, they are securing budget now for next year. I got in early and requested they include Switchbacks while the labour is available. I am expecting a shortfall in their budget, so am planning for the inevitable.

Not sure if gabions are long term solution, but will definitely help in the short term. Will solve local problems, but the global slope stability problem remains. It's a similar problem which they have on Chappies.

As you say, that trail is so good you do want to bend over backwards to make it work.

It's Parks who are going to have to spend to restabilize there.......................and on the Bridal path side, that's the contour path... Needs hectic stabilization.

Do you think they'll consider a tree planting scheme to stabilise that slope? It is South facing and a grove of Silver trees could look very good there. It is indigenous too. I don't know how well it will prevent slides though.

Edited by DJR

Guest Omega Man

How about a nice compromise that works for everybody?

Leave the switchbacks and legalize some of the illegal trails and make them a bit more user friendly. It's probably going to require huge labor and material to shore up those South facing trails and they'll eventually wash away anyway.

I know I'm dreaming here but it would be worth a swing of the bat.

Do you think they'll consider a tree planting scheme to stabilise that slope? It is South facing and a grove of Silver trees could look very good there. It is indigenous too. I don't know how well it will prevent slides though.

The idea did not fly with Tony Rebelo. He is relying on Tokai providing a non-hybridized Silvertree currently found close to nowhere.. even the 7000 trees planted at Kirstenbosch recently was not of a true breed. Tokai has some serious value often only seen from a recreation pov.

The idea did not fly with Tony Rebelo. He is relying on Tokai providing a non-hybridized Silvertree currently found close to nowhere.. even the 7000 trees planted at Kirstenbosch recently was not of a true breed. Tokai has some serious value often only seen from a recreation pov.

................meaning that in the seedbed of Tokai they hope for some 100 year old purebred Silvertree seeds to sprout? :thumbup: The conservationist in me likes that.

Can't wait for the first burn!

................meaning that in the seedbed of Tokai they hope for some 100 year old purebred Silvertree seeds to sprout? :thumbup: The conservationist in me likes that.

How about a nice compromise that works for everybody?

Leave the switchbacks and legalize some of the illegal trails and make them a bit more user friendly. It's probably going to require huge labor and material to shore up those South facing trails and they'll eventually wash away anyway.

I know I'm dreaming here but it would be worth a swing of the bat.

I also like this angle. Purely from a sustainability and erosion point of view, the Bridal Path trails will always be a problem. That slope is too steep and inherently unstable.

All of the currently illegal trails are in Pine plantations and most of them are on much less steep slopes. Some of those plantations have a good few years before they'll be due for harvest. Even after harvesting, those trails will be much easier to maintain and less likely to cause erosion, simply because of the gentler terrain. Also, in formalising / building them, no fynbos will be harmed because there is currently nothing there, other than Pines and Gums. The seedbed will be preserved just the same.

When harvesting happens, of course, we'll have the same situation we have with the snake trails at the moment. They'll be destroyed in the process, and we'll re-build them better than before.

Again, the conservationist in me (and the mtbiker), like this. :thumbup:

Back up to Boomslang today (seem to be spending more time there than at home) and while its still muddy it is starting to dry out a little. Predicted rain for Wednesday may set it back again though. You can see this is going to be some fantastic fun when it dries out.

Vasbyt seems to have its own natural spring halfway down, considering trying to bottle it and sell it...

Flew past Tokai yesterday and Switchbacks is completely wiped out. Going to take a lot to bring it back to its previous glory. Actually amazing seeing the number of land slides around the Peninsula at the moment.

Still waiting for a day off so I can rip up the new Boomslang. Looking good from my office view par avion.

Flew past Tokai yesterday and Switchbacks is completely wiped out. Going to take a lot to bring it back to its previous glory. Actually amazing seeing the number of land slides around the Peninsula at the moment.

Still waiting for a day off so I can rip up the new Boomslang. Looking good from my office view par avion.

Wave next time!

photos???

Planning on getting some aerial pics of the trail together sometime. Easier said then done when you don't have enough hands.

Planning on getting some aerial pics of the trail together sometime. Easier said then done when you don't have enough hands.

So take Pain up with you and he can take them