94.7 MTB Race bottle necks

Spinsei

J has improved so much and I'm also extremely proud of him. Well done!!!

We can discuss the Enduro bike. I have a couple of ideas...

Thanks S, must be 'cause he has such an amazing trainer!!! :D

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some okes crossed the river from the bottleneck and probably cut out 30 mins or more if riding

THAT could be a photo from last year WITHOUT A DOUBT THE KAKKEST RACE ON THE CALENDAR

Did a few enduros back when I was in durban! Some of the best racing to be had on a bike...when and where are ther races in jozi? And where can I enter?

None in Gauteng yet. There will be one end Feb in Eastern Freestate next year. Will let you know more details. BUt if you want a sneek preview of those enduro trails then you can enter Farmasutra

Van Gaalens will most likely have one sometime.

The rest of the time we travel down in small groups to do the SA Enduro series in KZN Enduros at Giba, Karkloof and Cascades.

Biggest mistake ever doing this race,standing stil for a total of 85 minutes, what a joke?And they actually charge people money to do this?There are so many better events to do around this country..Take this one off the calendar..

Well, now if CSA and MTBSA had any savvy, they would actually fine the organizers for this.

It is time that these money grabbers realise that they can't carry on regardless.

But then again, how thick is every mountain biker who has been doing it for the past few years, complain about it and go back for more………facepalm.

Well, now if CSA and MTBSA had any savvy, they would actually fine the organizers for this.

It is time that these money grabbers realise that they can't carry on regardless.

But then again, how thick is every mountain biker who has been doing it for the past few years, complain about it and go back for more………facepalm.

Presies, won't do it even if they pay me.

First and last for me... did the 55km as I have heard of the infamous bottlenecks - and though it may be less on the 55km route - ja right!!

The route itself was great on the upside - but I don't see a way around these bottlenecks as if it has become the norm, which is does considering for how many years this has been an issue, I fear the organisers feel rocks?

I heard there was someone that took a big fall just after the first big bottleneck, on some nasty rocky area? Anyone know what happened if they are ok?

Edited by ValeYellow

There is nothing like experience ! I did not even consider doing the the bottleneck 94.7 .Groenkloof was a treat with my son as always .There are only 3proper mtb events left in Gauteng for the year .Babbas ,Voriberg and Rust de winter .Choose one or all 3 .I have done all of them and they are all worthwhile

Dirtmax in Parys is great, although that,s a bit of a drive to the Vrystaat.

About 19.5km in to the 55Km race I hit a bottle neck before the technical section and had to wait 1.28 hours and to my surprise after feeling so frustrated not even 1Km after this I hit another bottle neck that I waited about 40 minutes in. So many riders just turned around and went back to their cars. We I like a dump *** waited and I could not believe that after this I hit another bottle neck that I had to wait about 18 minutes in. It was such a stuff up and so badly organized. On top of all this frustration and anger I had to endure the total distance of my race was only 38Km once I crossed the finish line. I would defiantly not recommend the 94.7 mountain bike challenge to anyone unless they don't mind sitting in the blazing sun for 2.20 hours and only doing roughly 1.5Km

Never again! This would've been my first 55. The bottle neck at the reservoir hill took 54min. The worst was to see the route going pass the point where the bottle neck started!! Did a 33km in the end after making a right on the R55 back to Waterfall.

Never again! This would've been my first 55. The bottle neck at the reservoir hill took 54min. The worst was to see the route going pass the point where the bottle neck started!! Did a 33km in the end after making a right on the R55 back to Waterfall.

I saw a few people do that, we passed them on the road bike.

First and last for me. Waited just over an hour at the bottleneck was then diverted. I broke my chain going through the first tunnel and screwed up my drivetrain. Basically was trying to finish the race on a SS(ok i had 2 gears, small ring and middle ring). So i was already tired and irretable. sidewall got cut when we went under the highway and i went to my car from there. Never agian. I do think I need to build myself an SS now, it was very rewarding doing those climbs knowing I dont have granny gears to fall back on.

Some okes crossed the river from the bottleneck and probably cut out 30 mins or more if riding

Damn, and I though the Trailseeker events had bottlenecks...

My opinion is that it is to be expected, in these larger races, where it has become "fashion" to MTB.

This race should be regarded as training.

Serious racers/riders should stay away from this event.