Attempted Bike Jacking in Ottery area

Meezo

My mates were kicked off the bike yesterday. They resisted and the guys only took one of the bikes. They managed to fight them off.

The bike they got away with was later recovered.

All the details are a bit faint. I'll ask either of them to come on, and give more details.

Guest Frail4Life

My mates were kicked off the bike yesterday. They resisted and the guys only took one of the bikes. They managed to fight them off.

The bike they got away with was later recovered.

All the details are a bit faint. I'll ask either of them to come on, and give more details.

Glad to hear they managed to recover the bike.

This time of the year things are getting out of Control.

Guys be safe out there.

Recovered the bike! This sounds like an interesting story! I am not sure I would be pleasant if I was recovering my bike back from someone that knocked me off it!

It happened in Olympic Avenue approaching De Wet road in Grassy Park at about 7:45am. 3 guys kicked myself and a friend off our bikes. We fought back but the one guy ran off with my bike. Luckily my friend knew who the guys worked for so the bike was brought back to us. buddy's bike was partially damaged but insured.

The 3 guys will probably have to attend a disciplinary hearing with their boss. Definitely opportunists, could have happened to anyone. Please be careful - glad to walk away with only a sore knee from the fall.

It happened in Olympic Avenue approaching De Wet road in Grassy Park at about 7:45am. 3 guys kicked myself and a friend off our bikes. We fought back but the one guy ran off with my bike. Luckily my friend knew who the guys worked for so the bike was brought back to us. buddy's bike was partially damaged but insured.

The 3 guys will probably have to attend a disciplinary hearing with their boss. Definitely opportunists, could have happened to anyone. Please be careful - glad to walk away with only a sore knee from the fall.

disciplinary??!! screw that open up a police case as they will do it again & who knows to how many others they didnt do it to already?

no way Jose, name & shame.

more details please, seems like they're targeting guys training early morning. Is there a trend developing?

no way Jose, name & shame.

from what shukrie is saying, he's friend(a friend of mine too) has some and fortunately in this case, "a connection" within the underworld, so did i, the many i had asked to look out for my bike, its quite scary.....

the name and shame would mean nothing, nobody not even the victims would know who they are, naming and shaming a gang and their numbers, well that is something one really needs to be careful about.

bottom line is, the F'er buying these bikes has created a market for these "lowlife" gangsters, 26s, 27s and 28s you name a easy way out. hit someone off their bike easy R300-R1000. we can look around us, if you from the cape flats or not, this again disgustingly so is reality.

Whats the way forward, not weapons.... but us as a cycle community need stop supporting the selling/buying of the stolen goods. How, well thats where i myself would need to know/learn.

more details please, seems like they're targeting guys training early morning. Is there a trend developing?

yes definitely, these thugs are now starting to realize the value of the bikes, to knock us off and run away with it. is much easier than breaking into houses and stealing cars. the cops will do nothing about it, because to them its just a bicycle, i say this, because this is the feeling i got when going in to report my incident, when trying to follow up i was told my case closed, because i had claimed from insurance.

Hope you opened a case with the SAPS and handed the details to them.

Who says this was their first time?

This is getting out of hand - not even safe in numbers! As long as there is a market for stolen stuff, this nonsense will not stop. Last week sometime (outside Maynard Mall in Wynberg main road) a lady offered to sell me a bike (a white Giant road bike). I was stopping at the red robot (that's true!). The "owner" of the guy hide it on the back of the white bakkie.Told me the "larnie" gave it to them after they did a job in Constantia :ph34r: Yeah rite. Gonna check if they are there tonite on my way home.

Looks like we in CT need to start highlighting these hot spots and modus operandi like they do in Guateng. Clearly the Lansdowne area is an area of concern, this Ottery incident appears to be more opportunistic though or is that wishful thinking? Most of have very set training schedules in terms of time Day, Time, Route etc. I know I do, doesn't take much for someone to pick up on this and strike when the opportunity presents itself.

from what shukrie is saying, he's friend(a friend of mine too) has some and fortunately in this case, "a connection" within the underworld, so did i, the many i had asked to look out for my bike, its quite scary.....

the name and shame would mean nothing, nobody not even the victims would know who they are, naming and shaming a gang and their numbers, well that is something one really needs to be careful about.

bottom line is, the F'er buying these bikes has created a market for these "lowlife" gangsters, 26s, 27s and 28s you name a easy way out. hit someone off their bike easy R300-R1000. we can look around us, if you from the cape flats or not, this again disgustingly so is reality.

Whats the way forward, not weapons.... but us as a cycle community need stop supporting the selling/buying of the stolen goods. How, well thats where i myself would need to know/learn.

yes definitely, these thugs are now starting to realize the value of the bikes, to knock us off and run away with it. is much easier than breaking into houses and stealing cars. the cops will do nothing about it, because to them its just a bicycle, i say this, because this is the feeling i got when going in to report my incident, when trying to follow up i was told my case closed, because i had claimed from insurance.

Now you know where all the "stolen" bikes are going. The ongoing saga will never stop. Sorry to be negative but the reality itself is negative with no way out.

"War" is when two parties on opposite sides are fighting for the same thing. It is war out there. Gang war at that. Zip, Sweet bug.. ..all .we can do as we are at war and need to fight back?

Just saying.

lansdowne, crawford, pinati etc are near to hanover park, athlone not too far away, but hanover park is more of a concern.

Ottery is near to grasspark, lotus river, with the back part of lotus river being a concern.

My thoughts are these are guys doing the rounds seeing where they can break in(this happens everynight in these areas) and then they see a single oke or 2 on a bike and all the see are $$$$$

I have caught a few myself in the past trying to break in, sent them off to jail. A friend of mine used to catch them trying to break into his business in the area. Alot of the the times they get away, but on a few occassions he has caught them. Lets just say I cant mention what has happened, but either way to jail or not, it does not bother these guys!!

Now you know where all the "stolen" bikes are going. The ongoing saga will never stop. Sorry to be negative but the reality itself is negative with no way out.

"War" is when two parties on opposite sides are fighting for the same thing. It is war out there. Gang war at that. Zip, Sweet bug.. ..all .we can do as we are at war and need to fight back?

Just saying.

No, sorry misunderstood. Someone from the area had seen these guys running, but he "knows" one of the victims. He said he would get the bike back which he did.

Similar in my case except my bike hasn't been returned , i passed my photos to friends i have living in Hanover park to push onto their friends which networks out to the lowlifes. I even know my bike was sold by the suspects for R300, then to their "leader" for R1100. There it was passes to this so-called "dealer" this guy wheels and deals everything.

Unfortunately this is all i had, and was and still am chasing tails.

How do we know all this. These are areas we are brought up in..

In terms of gang war, not even our police go into these areas when the gangsters go at each other. True story. Military, well do we have one available. See the latest on the taxi drivers shooting at each other. The government says its out their hands they can't control it!

Sorry drifting off topic.

the cops will do nothing about it, because to them its just a bicycle, i say this, because this is the feeling i got when going in to report my incident, when trying to follow up i was told my case closed, because i had claimed from insurance.

I wouldn't accept that. If I was your insurer I'd be very p...d off to hear that the cops weren't still looking.

Looks like we need trackers and microdots for the bikes now. :(