Who are the legends and heroes of SA Mountain biking?

SoftTail

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meurant as well. Trail builder and trail lobbying pioneer. And iirc the first south african pro mtber. he used to do trials in Europe. Butvalsilo give credit to his wife Arina as well. the admin mastermind behind Dirtopia.

Erica Green. first mtb Olympian. first female pro in SA. She still rides and races, now she is one of the top coaches in the western cape.

Johann Wykerd, one of SA's top talent spotters, coach and the driving force behind Velo life, BMC and Bergamont teams.

Jeroen Swart, ex pro and arguably one of the top sports physicians in the country.

Meurant as well. Trail builder and trail lobbying pioneer. And iirc the first south african pro mtber. he used to do trials in Europe. Butvalsilo give credit to his wife Arina as well. the admin mastermind behind Dirtopia.

Erica Green. first mtb Olympian. first female pro in SA. She still rides and races, now she is one of the top coaches in the western cape.

Johann Wykerd, one of SA's top talent spotters, coach and the driving force behind Velo life, BMC and Bergamont teams.

Jeroen Swart, ex pro and arguably one of the top sports physicians in the country.

Nice post! Short and sweet yet informative. More like these please!

The Hero's of MTB are u and ur friends who pump money into this sport and drink the beers at race villages, the pro's are not the guys spending 100k every couple of years on stage races, bikes...etc.

This is one of the only sports were a weekend warrior can lineup next a pro and not know who the guy on the fancy bike is! The day we have races for pro's only will be a sad day in my book, the sport will go the same way as the others and the stars will lose touch with realty. I'm glad I can only name 1 pro and it's unfortunate as the circumstances had nothing to do with MTB.

Scott Richardson - Versatile on any bicycle; Only rider ever in SA to represent their country on road, track and mountain biking. Went on to manage and train the very dominant back the Microsoft, MTN Microsoft teams before moving overseas but not to sure what he is doing over there.

Agree with all the names already mentioned. Another worth mentioning is trail builder Erik Skipper of Van Gaalen Cheese Farm for the legendary network of trails he has created in and around Skeerpoort.

Behind the scenes and business environment

Fritz Pienaar

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=ZoUVJAmd0U4

Agreed

Has done an enormous amount for the sport and continues to do so

He supported our early efforts in Botswana and took part in the first Kalahari Challenge with Christie when we were just a handful around the fire in the bush swapping stories.

Was a top rider in his day