which pads to go for

Hedz

hi guy. my pads are running really low now so need to be replaced. Tried to call a local bike shop for some info and prices but he could not explain to me the difference between the different pads. I know you get metal pads, organic pads and sintered pads. so my question is which pads are best for what types of riding. I do off road and enjoy a bit of mud here and there if there is any.

hi guy. my pads are running really low now so need to be replaced. Tried to call a local bike shop for some info and prices but he could not explain to me the difference between the different pads. I know you get metal pads, organic pads and sintered pads. so my question is which pads are best for what types of riding. I do off road and enjoy a bit of mud here and there if there is any.

Metal=sintered and organic=resin.

Sintered pads last longer, but are more prone to squealing (Avid anyone?)

Organic pads are shorter-lived, but have more bite.

My understanding, anyway...

Some good advise below and you can also run a combination with sintered on the back and organic on the front as a lot of riders tend to contstantly feather their back brake which can build up heat and sintered pads are more linear so you are less likely to lock up your wheel contstantly whereas on the front, where your real braking power is ,organic are better due to their stronger initial bite and better stoping power. For general all purpose use though sintered are best, squeeling is just there to warn others that you are coming!

Don`t run organic in the wet/mud, first hand experience.

My previous bike (Giant anthem x) shipped with metal pads and the squeeking drived me insane (Avid breaks). I replaced with resin pads and never looked back. The stopping power is much better and feels smoother (not sudden locking as with the metal pads).

The bike I've build recently I fitted with XTR brakes that came with resin pads. The resin pads definately has a smoother breaking and no squeeking. I haven't done very wet / muddy rides with resin pads... so cannot comment on that. But from a preference point of view I'd go for resin.

Ones with wings?

how heavy is your flow? get the ones with at least 3 drops on the packet