Quality of the 94.7

Quick Peddler

This was my second 94.7 and again I was left wondering if this is the best route around Jozy. The N14 is boring. Surely the organisers can plot a much more picturesque route. The road service at many places is outright dangerous. Unless they improve the route, the 94.7 can never compete with the Argus. I find no reason why we have to ride through Gandhi square. The many pedestrians running across the road by Yeoville and Ponti makes that part of the route extremely dangerous. At the start I also struggled to see my starting pen boards. Lastly the second last water point is on a hill. Restarting with tired legs was so difficult.

There were many many good things and overall I enjoyed the trip.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my second 94.7 and again I was left wondering if this is the best route around Jozy. The N14 is boring. Surely the organisers can plot a much more picturesque route. The road service at many places is outright dangerous. Unless they improve the route, the 94.7 can never compete with the Argus. I find no reason why we have to ride through Gandhi square. The many pedestrians running across the road by Yeoville and Ponti makes that part of the route extremely dangerous. At the start I also struggled to see my starting pen boards. Lastly the second last water point is on a hill. Restarting with tired legs was so difficult.

There were many many good things and overall I enjoyed the trip.

94.7 will never be the ARGUS and vice versa. Each race has their own highpoints.

They probably put the water point on the hill as that's were people are going slow enough to grab a sachet or cup with out having to stop. I didn't do it this year so don't know if this is why case that's just how it's often done as long as it's not a very steep or technical hill

I think its a great route in and around the city, and since Joburg City are in on the deal, the idea is for it to visit down town and connect with the inner city, and Ghandi square is allegedly very historic.

The route up Jan Smuts is a jol, and N14 is a good pull and test of endurance, so I say don't fix it, it ain't broke.

Edited by kosmonooit

I think its a great route in and around the city, and since Joburg City are in on the deal, the idea is for it to visit down town and connect with the inner city, and Ghandi square is allegedly very historic.

The route up Jan Smuts is a jol, and N17 is a good pull and test of endurance, so I say don't fix it, it ain't broke.

N14

You say the N14 is boring. Where else in Johannesburg can you go that isn't boring?

Just a question as I was there the other day and it all looked boring

N14

Fixed. You must know the story behind that highway Oom ... essentially built in the 70's to link Krugersdorp to Pretoria, in the days when that was important ideologically and politically. Certainly had nothing to do with traffic density. Hardly any cars on there for decades, esp. on the weekend when a lot of big motorbike racing used to take advantage of the empty roads. So now at least there is some redemption.

Did Jack "Gautrain" van der Merwe have anything to do with it? Would love to know...

Edited by kosmonooit

As first timer I liked the route...the smelly parts just made you ride faster, and the pedestrians crossing the road made for an urbanized version of dodge ball.

Just before the end I couldn't believe that it was over already....certainly not boring

Jeez, some people will complain just for the sake of complaining. You've done 2 now, so move on and do other races which you like. How about raving about the fact that the M1 is closed at probably its most beautiful part, or that the M2 is closed for cyclist and you get to see a part of Jhb you'll never see during the day by bike other times of the year?

It is a nice route although the bit through Ghandi Square is not my favourite. I enjoyed the inner city bit they had a few years ago when we got off the M2 and then had a few left-right turns and came out at the same intersection as now just before Mandela Bridge but from the right instead of having to turn left like now (passed SAB???)