LBS: We have a 5 % handling fee on returns.

lone.*

CPA will apply if he stated intended use, found it not suitable, did not use it and returned in 10 days.

If returned in original packaging 100% refund must be given.

If supplier must restore original packaging, he can charge a reasonable fee to do so.

There is no such thing as a blanket 5% handling fee according to the CPA.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get CPA and "the customer is king" BUT people abuse that right/term and that is why they charge 5%.

The CPA also protects the supplier. And there is no legal provision for a handling fee. Simply, it's illegal.

If the shop policy is 5% on returns, which the owner waives upon complaint, then I don't see the problem. To me, it sounds like a case of hypersensitivity on the part of the customer.

Then, my other hub favourite ~ the CPA. Every second post refers to this or that being covered by the CPA, as if it is a magic bullet, which it isn't.

Claiming against a supplier based on some or other clause in the CPA will be a long, frustrating and probably very expensive procedure when time and effort are taken into account.

I have not heard of a single person who has successfully claimed something from a supplier using the CPA.

Many have.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Really....? I think the Title should have read...

LBS had 5% Handling/return policy on all their Goods..... After understanding my stupidity in buying the wrong Goods the Owner checked everything was there and Awesomely decided to waiver the 5% Fee...

Great Service.

Edited by Ferret69

Out of the 10 shops I've visited in jhb, walked straight out of 3 thanks to them glancing in my direction as i walked in,then carried on their conversation to their mates.

This happens to me too often. I dont know if I have a repelling smell or maybe I dont look like a potential buyer. Its like these are just randoms opening shops without reading "Running a LBS for dummies"

Sorry Lone.* but I think you are over reacting here.

The LBS did not have to exchange the product for you.

You bought the product and saw what you got before walking out of the shop.

He did you a favor in exchanging the product for you, (he didn't have to do that)

So if he wants to charge a handling fee / admin fee he has the right to do that.

As for the "discount hunters"

No problem with that, look for the best price, but you get those types who always look for the cheapest price possible.

But oh my goodness, don't ask the company that they ate working for to give you their best possible price, because if they can't break even, "the boss won't give me a Christmas Bonus or a proper increase"

Many have.

I'd be interested to know details of a few of them.

Especially those who got a puncture and claimed for a defective tube, or got charged a 5% handling fee and had it refunded.

Any examples come to mind?

I'd be interested to know details of a few of them.

Especially those who got a puncture and claimed for a defective tube, or got charged a 5% handling fee and had it refunded.

Any examples come to mind?

Read any of the many consumer journo columns and reports and they are numerous cases of suppliers and retailers having to back down or change procedures because of the CPA. Here's a start: http://www.iol.co.za/blogs/wendy-knowler-s-consumer-watch-1.1608

Sorry Lone.* but I think you are over reacting here.

The LBS did not have to exchange the product for you.

You bought the product and saw what you got before walking out of the shop.

He did you a favor in exchanging the product for you, (he didn't have to do that)

So if he wants to charge a handling fee / admin fee he has the right to do that.

I agree.

The 5% handling fee notice must be right next to the Refund/Exchange notice. Did you see that notice? If you didn't then the LBS did you a favour by refunding you.

Last Friday I bought an press fit bb set not knowing you get them for SRAM and Shimano in different sizes. Within 20 minutes of paying for it I phone the LBS and alerted them to the fact that they have given me the wrong type. I did mention it was supposed to be for an Shimano XT crank.

Took it back on Monday as they did not have the correct item in stock and the owner of the establishment informs me that they have a 5 % handling fee on returns policy. I cannot recall seeing the relative signage communicating this fact.

I however explained to the owner that the wrong part was supplied upon which decides to wave the 5% handling fee as if he is doing me a huge favour.

The owner carries on about the sales person having to have the item checked to make sure that nothing is missing and that they can still sell it.

I do not think Mr. Owner knows that his sales person knows me for a long time and is the reason I was shopping from him. The sales person only started working there a month or so ago.

One of the things of course that comes to mind is the consumer protection act.

Another thing is that the owner seems to have this habit of looking down his nose at his clients.

Mr. Owner I hope you realise that you have lost a customer for life as I will not be buying from you again as I am sh*t scared that you will come up with some nonsense like this.

I also do not buy things to steal small parts from them.

And you do not have to have the attitude of you are the king and I am peasant. It is the other way round . I am the King whose cash you want.

It is such a pity you changed your mind as I wanted to name you on this forum and warn other "Kings" about you.

At first I was very impressed with your shop but you sure as hell kicked a dent into that one.

Not sure I am seeing the problem here... You bought an item. Realised that it was the wrong spec when you got home. Took it back to swap it. The LBS owner checked that everything was in the box as per the way it was delivered by the supplier so that he could sell it again and gave you the correct item. The shop policy is to charge a 5% "handling fee" (read school fees) on any returns which was waived as it didn't really apply. You made a mistake and the shop forgave you and helped you fix your mistake.

Sounds like you are one of the "I pay your salary!" brigade.

Get over it. You aren't out of pocket. You got your BB. If you knew what you wanted then you would have picked up the mistake as soon as you held it in your hand. Next time maybe leave the job to someone that knows what they are doing.

#Justsaying

Sounds like you are one of the "I pay your salary!" brigade.

Most of them are, followed by the "best deal" brigade followed closely by the "I had been loyal to you" brigade.

Their loyalty only stretches as far as to how cheap they can get what they are looking for.

There are loads of bike shops that are losing out daily and on the verge of shutting down, some of these places have really good staff and mechanics and being smaller businesses the owners generally are quite honest and stick to the RRP as close as possible.

Being a smaller entity they often offer a discount as well as their overheads are not as big as the corporates or monopolizing entities out there.

People get so clouded by price, good deals and bargains that they will go through life endlessly complaining about the poor service they get all the time.

I am one of those, the price I see is the price I pay, no haggling, if the price I see does not gel with me, I go elsewhere.

But back to topic at hand.

OP. if you payed by card and they refunded you with cash, accept it as such, most retailers will do the same, they have to pay the bank a commission fee on all c/card transactions.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

But back to topic at hand.

OP. if you payed by card and they refunded you with cash, accept it as such, most retailers will do the same, they have to pay the bank a commission fee on all c/card transactions.

I returned some car parts the other day, and the dealer swiped my CC and I was refunded that way. Did the dealer get his bank fee paid back to him in that case?

I returned some car parts the other day, and the dealer swiped my CC and I was refunded that way. Did the dealer get his bank fee paid back to him in that case?

no he does not!!!!!

no he does not!!!!!

So he absorbed that cost? I was refunded the full amount. That's good service then.