Cyclist down - Johan Labuschagne

RABUBI

All the strength, Rider!

The taxi system is so necessary and valuable. But so dangerous at times.

Which needs to be regulated and people be held accountable.

Speedy recovery to the injured cyclist :thumbup: Wishing you all the best

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recover well Johan Strongs!

Looks like if your name is Johan, you should be careful. How is other Johan and your son doing?

Hope you heal up soon Johan

Unless I missed it, I did not read anything about the driver ??

As usual the driver most probably wasn't injured, did not see any interviews as such.

On another note,...so silly when the media mention that a vehicle hit a cyclist and that the driver was "shaken" but not injured while the cyclist was taken to hospital. How can a driver be injured by I bicycle? A driver is protected by a metal cage FFS!!

(my comment not aimed @cyclenut but at the media reporting the news on incidents most times)

Looks like if your name is Johan, you should be careful. How is other Johan and your son doing?

Hope you heal up soon Johan

Hey W, My son is piele. Back on the bike but very nervous. Johan can start using his leg from 26 December. After new year rehab will begin.

We should have this protest ride in peek morning traffic on Witkoppen, William Nicol Dr and Main Rd. Enough is enough by just talking about all these incidents! Perhaps start at Nicolway Bryanston, plenty secure parking https://maps.google....h&mra=mift&z=18

Craig Wapnick ‏@properwappo 4h

In france cyclists would block roads to protest carnage Let's organise blockage of william nichol @AndrewMclean @KevinMcCallum

Bruce Anderson ‏@Bruanderson 2h

@properwappo @AndrewMclean @KevinMcCallum I'm in for helping organise a William Nicol or other road block. @MelvinNeale @CriticalMassJhb

Cycling Direct ‏@CyclingDirectSA 2h

@Bruanderson @properwappo @AndrewMclean @KevinMcCallum @MelvinNeale @CriticalMassJhb Add me to that ! Time to act for our safety

Craig Wapnick ‏@properwappo 1h

@CyclingDirectSA @Bruanderson @AndrewMclean @KevinMcCallum @MelvinNeale @CriticalMassJhb how do we do this? Can't just be twitter emotion?

Critical Mass Joburg ‏@CriticalMassJhb 39m

@properwappo watch this space. There will be a protest over this incident. Details to follow

I do not think a mass protest will achieve anything, except create more animosity towards cyclists. Do you honestly think that a taxi driver who sees the protest is going to drive any differently the following day - of course not.

There needs to be some form of accountability ie swift prosecution asnd conviction with jail time and the taxi (or offending vehicle) being impounded for a year or so. Can you imagine a taxi boss losing a taxi for a year, trust me, he will make sure his drivers stay on the right side of the law as soon as it hits his pocket!!

Same applies to Joe Soap ie you hit a cyclist and your car gets impounded for a year, you suddenly need to figure out a new way of getting to work. Taking a person's drivers licence away will not necessarily prevent someone from driving but if they have no means to drive then they are screwed are they not?

Hey W, My son is piele. Back on the bike but very nervous. Johan can start using his leg from 26 December. After new year rehab will begin.

Good to hear, hope your son gets his confidence back soon.

I do not think a mass protest will achieve anything, except create more animosity towards cyclists. Do you honestly think that a taxi driver who sees the protest is going to drive any differently the following day - of course not.

Well it is aimed at the government and their unwillingness to bring in the 1,5m gap law.

See it a big living human petition

I look at protest rides as an awareness campaign to educate drivers and should be done as often as necessary until such time they get really gatvol of us cyclists and the laws are made stricter and we have adequate cycle lanes.

As per Leon Evans ‏@Drevilepic

Motorists in Australia who knock over cyclists or pedestrians go to jail no matter who is in the wrong. We need the same laws here.

I still think that the 1.5m gap law means squat if it is not policed and there is no accountabilty when it is transgressed.

You are going to be held accountable and you have to explain to the courts in the WC why you hit a cyclist when the law specifically now states that you are not allowed within 1 meter of a cyclist.

Do you honestly think that a taxi driver who sees the protest is going to drive any differently the following day - of course not.

Who cares what he does, he will become a bit more aware however.

Why do you think this country is in the state that it's in, I will tell you.

People sitting on their @$$es complaining about stuff and doing absolutely f-all about it.

Once again a taxi......... WTF are they doing in the yellow line....... Cutting ques,shooting up the inside and pulling infront of the que again........ I bet he is doing his afternoon route already! The police,law enforcement and accountability in this country is pathetic! Just like the woman that went through a red robot almost killing Koos Klopper!

You are going to be held accountable and you have to explain to the courts in the WC why you hit a cyclist when the law specifically now states that you are not allowed within 1 meter of a cyclist.

It seems however that no-one is ever held accountable - that is the point. What happened to the taxi driver in Burry's case?

Edited by Wet Ears

Who cares what he does, he will become a bit more aware however. Why do you think this country is in the state that it's in, I will tell you. People sitting on their @$$es complaining about stuff and doing absolutely f-all about it.

Who cares what he does - my guess would be the next cyclist knocked down by a lawless taxi driver.

If you think that a mass protest is going to have an impact then go ahead and protest, I hope you are right. I do not share your sentiment however - simple.