The Empire Strikes Back: Specialized Sues A Bike Shop Over Name

Bad Girl

I'm quite glad that this thread, and the lawsuit in fact, exists... Why, just the other day, I went online to order a brand spanking new red, black and white Roubaix... You should have seen the surprise on my face when, at checkout, I'm presented with a huge bill for the Title Deed to some Cafe in Canada (I've never even been to Canada)! Apparently it's right above an ice cream shop (and boy, do I LOVE ice cream), but still a bit too hefty for my wallet and the missus would've taken my head off! Luckily, I got past the confusion and eventually ordered my Specialized Roubaix BICYCLE...

It's things like this that need to be stopped... Well done spez!

Luckilly you can still order a nifty wheelset online from them, just remember to tell people that the large Roubaix sign on your wheelset has nothing to with your Roubaix bike.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SO WHATS THE STORY ARE WE BUYING SPAZ. PRODUCT OR NOT

I guess, buy whatever you like.

But maybe not just for bikes, whatever you buy, consider what the company you buy from does, and does what they do fit in with your personal moral worldview?

edit: For me at least, this story has made me question what I buy, where I buy it from, who the company is. Be they the little guy, or a massive multi-national. I don't think asking questions is wrong, is it?

Edited by Cellar

SO WHATS THE STORY ARE WE BUYING SPAZ. PRODUCT OR NOT

But maybe not just for bikes, whatever you buy, consider what the company you buy from does, and does what they do fit in with your personal moral worldview?

edit: For me at least, this story has made me question what I buy, where I buy it from, who the company is. Be they the little guy, or a massive multi-national. I don't think asking questions is wrong, is it?

Dips - you got a serious answer - didn't think that would happen!!!

Café Roubaix Bicycle Studio

Everybody,

Mike Sinyard of Specialized came up for breakfast and to talk and apologize in person. Mike was truly sorry for the way things worked out, and wanted to resolve the issue face to face. All has been resolved.

Thank you to the cycling world for your support!

Cheers,

Dan

The next step would be for Sinyard to deal with his employees/ consultants that allowed things to 'work out' the way they did. Doubt that will happen though. Given the host of similar cases, he's aware of what they're doing. I see this as a cheap effort at some much needed PR.

I am glad to see people still have loyalty in this day and age, loyalty to a BRAND wow,

I have just been stirring , I have no issue with specialized in fact I appreciate there product,

At the end of the we can only make assumptions to this whole"mess" for all we know there could be a thousand scenarios but this issue is not as simple as its seems and there are ANGLES none of us know about

End of the day "things are sorted" specialized WILL be there to fight another fight and

HATERS ARE GOING TO HATE

The next step would be for Sinyard to deal with his employees/ consultants that allowed things to 'work out' the way they did. Doubt that will happen though. Given the host of similar cases, he's aware of what they're doing. I see this as a cheap effort at some much needed PR.

Specialize do not need cheap PR :whistling:

I respect that big brands need to protect their copyrights. Had it been "body geometry" or "S-Works" then I could have fully understood Specialized going to the lengths they did. But over a name like Roubaix, a name that belongs and has belonged to a town longer than Specialized has been around is insane!

But at the end of the day, it has been resolved and Specialized (& other companies) should take note of the fact that the people who buy their bikes have voices and morals, and hate getting the raw side of the deal. A simple matter that could have been easily resolved became an international outcry through the wonders of social media and word of mouth! Its a big victory for morality in my eyes! Good on Mr Specialized for going and seeing Sargeant Roubaix. In the end he did the right thing, regardless of what copyright laws say he should and could do.

But please note that me selling my Tarmac has nothing to do with any of this. Its just an incredible coincidence that I replaced my bike, shoes, helmet and tires on the same day!

Anyone still boycotting Woolworths for not employing whites? <remember that?!>