[Event] MTN NATIONAL MTB SERIES #1 Dullstroom

Tim_Fair

Does anybody have more information on what happened with the finish of the Ultra. I saw on Twitter that Charles was not a happy camper with the signage at the end as he took a wrong turn and effectively lost the race.

I did watch the video of Lourens at the finish and he mentioned that he listened to what was said at the start and thus knew that second time around he had to follow the right boards.

I see in the Cannondale newsletter they are still investigating this.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like to whinge but a couple of comments:

1. WTF with the gate going in to the estate? Not all of us chose to drive 4 x 4's to Dullstroom. I have other options and would prefer not to leave the guts of my car on your gate runner. Farmer Glen can reroute is race overnight in hours - surely you can mound a ramp over your concrete block? Or tell us to bring the 4 x 4.

2. There was just no sense of pride in this race. You go to Barberton/Sabie, the commmunity is involved and proud and it shows. This race... not so much.

3. I've got caught short with no water on hot days so I'm paranoid about carrying enough - so I didn't stress about the pretty ordinary water tables, but geez, they're going to have to do better than that.

MTN should be kicking their asses - you want to have your brand associated with that!?

I was one of the lucky ones that got to the water tables when they still had water. Needed more chain lube though as it is turning out to be a very expensive race now that i have hurt my bike.

My biggest gripe was the distance from the "entertainment" area to the cars. Poor wife had to watch four kids, carry a gazebo and chairs to sit on. They could have at least run shuttles or something like they did on the friday.

water a basic necessity ….just like a chain for rideing a bike….perhaps we should start the next race without chains .

when the no of entrants are high like at this race……..all the complains won't to much…..but the last i heard it was once written in an acient book that …."pride comes before the fall".

I can't find my name / time on the preliminary timing results - I assume they will not be on the official results then? According to my Bryton and Strava I did the half marathon in 2.33.08, but this will not count for my next race's seeding.

I enjoyed the race, but some of the things going on behid the scenes were not up to scratch. What gets me, is that a well established event like the Barberton lost the prestige of an MTN / Nissan / Miway sponsership and it gets handed to a first time event full of snags and issues.

The fact that somebody didn't get killed on the final downhill towards the finish line is a miracle in itself - the crossing where pedestrians were left to cross without a marshall was an obvious sign of bad planning too.

Hahaha frame can only take 1 x cage meneer, that's why!

but use a half bottle in the 2nd cage position that's all that fits on my bike...... which is still dirty :whistling: Just sprayed it down that's all. Pic before wash down.......

post-2645-0-79686700-1392029298_thumb.jpg

That was an insanely hard day out. Glad we only took on that route as a "training" ride and not racing. It took lots of willpower not to cross that finish line after the marathon and continue to finish the Ultra. Mud was insane, nothing the organisers can do about that. No water at the top of Thin Air climb - not acceptable. Glad to see the route merged again over the last few km through single track. The poor slower rider in front of us tried to go faster even though we told him to relax and eventually he lost it and crashed. Not fair for any of the riders - I guess we should just accept this is how races end. The rest was ok, not great for a race of this stature.

I wont be trekking down to Sabie.

Edited by MuddyMike

Loved the route, proper mountain biking and i did not have any problems with water at the tables, and yes i was out there for 6:44 on the 72km, I even had some water to drink from the river on the top of that killer climb. There was a small fortune out on the route of water bottles, bombs, glases and tools etc

but use a half bottle in the 2nd cage position that's all that fits on my bike...... which is still dirty :whistling: Just sprayed it down that's all. Pic before wash down.......

The mounting on the downtube is not far enough forward on the swift and the one on the seat tube not low enough to fit 2 cages. When there is water on course I'm normally ok with 1 bottle. Those beers tasted sweet on Saturday :thumbup:

is it me or does your frame look too small relative to your seat height etc?

is it me or does your frame look too small relative to your seat height etc?

The Cruz frames are very short. Short top tube and short rear stays. Awesome on the climbs and single track but can kick a little on the bumpy downhills......

My height is perfect size for the medium frame according to their charts, smack bang in the middle. The handle bars are flat bars and inverted stem and zero stack headset so managed to keep the front low. Saying that the height difference between saddle and handle bar is still a lot smaller than on my 26er. Sitting a lot more upright now.

The Cruz frames are very short. Short top tube and short rear stays. Awesome on the climbs and single track but can kick a little on the bumpy downhills......

My height is perfect size for the medium frame according to their charts, smack bang in the middle. The handle bars are flat bars and inverted stem and zero stack headset so managed to keep the front low. Saying that the height difference between saddle and handle bar is still a lot smaller than on my 26er. Sitting a lot more upright now.

Awesome geo....loves the singletrack that cruz