650b Rocket Ron is rubbish

Natural Defender

I built a 650b bike and put Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres on the carbon rims.

The front tyre has been no problem. It is grippy and the tyre went on the rims with no effort at all.

The rear tyre has been a different kettle of fish altogether. It went on the rim with no problem, but the tyre would go down in the space of half an hour. The sealant was sufficient, the valve not leaking. I would then pump the tyre to 3 bar and shake the wheel vigorously on each side. The side wall would show signs of leaking, as the sealant made small droplets all over the sidewall.

This process I repeated daily for 2 weeks, until I was able to go for a 2 hour ride without issue. I even changed the sealant as I thought it was not working correctly.

Today I go for a ride and I get a cut on the tyre right next to the rim.

This tyre has been the biggest waste of money I have spent on a tyre. When I bought them I wanted a tyre which was reasonably light, grippy and a fast roller. I have for the last 10 years being using Maxxis and wanted a change with the new bike. This has been an extremely disappointing experience.

Now, what tyres are reasonably light, tough and fast rolling for racing?

post-30283-0-79317000-1388916384_thumb.jpg

post-30283-0-27651800-1388916408_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arent the rocket ron the bottom of the range ones? Nobby Nick and Racing Ralph are their more upmarket guys? I think you get what you pay for with regards tires.

The Cross Marks are rubbish tires in terms of grip and response but they hold a bead and are completely bomb proof. I did about 3000km on mine before I replaced sealant and didnt have a single leak/puncture.

For the 650b look at the WTB Weirwolf. I ride Nobby Nics 2.35 on my one 650b bike and they seem ok. Done a few pretty serious races/rides on them and they seem to be holding up.

Just read a review on the Weirwolf. Seems to be a good tyre. I am in Josie, any idea who may stock them?

When I was looking at tyres, I considered Ritcheys. The weak side walls put me off.

Just read a review on the Weirwolf. Seems to be a good tyre. I am in Josie, any idea who may stock them?

When I was looking at tyres, I considered Ritcheys. The weak side walls put me off.

Most of the Bike shops will have access to them. The WTB dealers are based in Joeys. If they have they can be ordered in easily enough from tomorrow by anyone who stocks Hope, WTB, Spank......

Mr OP: you listed light, grippy and fast rolling. those are your stated criteria.

So did it do those things or not?

I'm afraid you are lambasting on the wrong criteria. If it didn't meet those performance criteria, then flame away. But if you had added in things that actually matter way above meeting weight weenie criteria, then maybe you would have made a better selection of tyre from the get-go. Maybe you are are fault for not being honest with what you want out of tyre. Light and strong/ puncture resistant to the max? Pick 1.

Edited by Capricorn

Those are non-snakeskin - schoolboy error. Get snakeskins.

Yep, most likely the problem here.

SinglespeedGuy, Rons aren't entry-level in comparison to Ralphs. They're slightly more aggresively treaded, that's all. Just like with Ralphs, you'll find different (from entry-level TLR to higher-end Snakeskin) variants. The OP is running a super lightweight, less robust TLR version.

Another factor here is the quality of the rim. I've been running Rons on Havens for quite a while without any hint of leaking or burping, something I attribute to the fact that Haven rims are proper certified UST. My riding is not what one would describe as "mild" (I hack a hardtail over enduro trails). The photo hints at a 3K chinese carbon hoop, which I reserve judgement on...

I use these, infact I bought an extra set from Easybike because I've found them to be phenominal front and back, and yes I got the super light 485grm non snakeskin version, sealed up with Stans first time every time no issues, ride dry and rocky Tygerberg trails aggressively and they hold up great!

Guess you just having some bad lack, and I agree with the one comment, check your rim strip