Need to move from flats to cleats, what do I need?

breaker

So I've been mtbing for just over a year now and just can't stand the comments and looks of disgust at me and my flats.

I can just here their thoughts... "such a noob", "pffft amature", " :stupid: " . lol.

Actually I couldn't care :P, but reckon I can't knock it till I try it and apparently it will help me in my inability to climb.

Sooo what do I need to get cleated up, besides the obvious cleats and shoes. What do I need to look out for etc.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might just be lost ... or with the wrong crowd...

Plenty guys on the mountain with flats.... just ask here... and get to tokai.

Disclaimer;; i dont know what kind of cycling you like :thumbup:

Give this a read http://www.bikejames.com/strength/the-flat-pedal-revolution-manifesto-how-to-improve-your-riding-with-flat-pedals/ It's great to know how to ride with cleats, but if you don't enjoy it, then don't. One of the things that stuck out for me was: "You ride better with flat pedals, you ride faster with cleats"

Pedals + cleats and riding shoes is all you need. I just got a pair of Scott mtb shoes (had Bontrager previously) and both were very lekker, with Shimano SPD (something like the PD-m780) pedals. These are clipless-only, very difficult to ride without cleats as they'll roll, but some of the Look or Candy work well with clipless or as flats.

Make sure your pedals are set to unclip as easily as possible. You are gonna fall, regardless. Get ready for it.

You'll need to approach it gradually.

• Stage 1: Ride only on the road. Get used to the action needed to clip in. Purposefully think about unclipping every time you stop (this doesn't come naturally at first). The key here is not having to stop suddenly, thus no singletrack.
  • Stage 2: Go off-road, but jeeptrack only, where you'll need to stop more often but can still have a moment or two's chance to think about unclipping.
  • Stage 3: The full monty. By this time, you'll be able to unclip without consciously making the decision to. It'll take a while, but you'll get there.

If you want to try it out, I'm giving away a pair of old shoes: https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&do=view_item&item_id=75445

Guest Latent Blue

Ill just say.

In our muddy surroundings in KZN i often struggle with mud/muck in my SPD's

Cycled with a buddy yesterday... his egg beaters does not give the same problems

Sooo what do I need to get cleated up, besides the obvious cleats and shoes. What do I need to look out for etc.

Besides the obvious, you need to find a good shrink before hand. This will come in handy helping you get over the humiliation of your first parking lot topple over. :whistling:

Then again... if you're riding on grass, you might completely forget to unclip, fall over, and lie there giggling uncontrollably.

have done that plenty. Been riding for 10 years now and last weekend I forgot to unclip again and had my mates rolling on the grass laughing at me.

Ill just say.

In our muddy surroundings in KZN i often struggle with mud/muck in my SPD's

Cycled with a buddy yesterday... his egg beaters does not give the same problems

Ask him about rebuilds and float....

So I've been mtbing for just over a year now and just can't stand the comments and looks of disgust at me and my flats.

I can just here their thoughts... "such a noob", "pffft amature", " :stupid: " . lol.

Actually I couldn't care :P, but reckon I can't knock it till I try it and apparently it will help me in my inability to climb.

Ok must be a SlaapStad thing , they are a bit snobbish on that side . I changed from cleated to Flats about 2 years ago and to be honest don't think I will go back again .

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will fall, maybe this will make be a bit less of a kamakazi, always had comfort in the fact that I could jump off my bike at anytime, so was always willing to do anything.

Ok must be a SlaapStad thing , they are a bit snobbish on that side . I changed from cleated to Flats about 2 years ago and to be honest don't think I will go back again .

How come? cleats to flats I mean, not the snobbish bit :ph34r:

How come? cleats to flats I mean, not the snobbish bit :ph34r:

It just makes it so much more fun and easier . Running around the pub after a MTB ride is those stupid shoes wasn't fun at all . Before I would not just jump on the bike to go down to the shops , now I jump on the bike if I need to go to the school meeting !! I suppose if you a top racer cleats does help but for the middle of the field people it help nothing .