Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

I vote we sticky this thread. We can share ideas for green pesticides, suppliers, etc.

I have a 4mx5m veggie garden that more than supplements our kitchen. Cherry tomatoes, "normal" tomatoes, baby marrows the size of my forearm, brinjals, spinach, beans, peas, carrots, all end up in the kitchen. I have a standing arrangement with my parents to swop veggies with them (they also have a successful veggie garden).

I also have a monster compost pile that is out of control. If anybody wants compost, PM me, you are welcome to bring a bakkie or trailer and come fetch. Its made up of the garden cuttings and peelings from the kitchen.

Stick it,water it and watch it grow :thumbup:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to grow

Tomatoes

Cucumber

Lettuce

Strawberries

Peppers

Any advice?

Oh and a lettece do you have to replant after each head is removed?

I want to grow

Tomatoes

Cucumber

Lettuce

Strawberries

Peppers

Any advice?

hi,

all of those grow quite easily. the tomato's, just squish a couple into some good soil.

go to a nursery to buy some mix salad and green peppers and cucumber plants that is already established to save some time.

You grow herbs? :eek:

I want to grow

Tomatoes

Cucumber

Lettuce

Strawberries

Peppers

Any advice?

Start looking at your winter crops as well for end Feb/March. We had butter lettuce and would just pick a head and then they grow back again, they look a bit of a mess but you can get quite a yield of leaves. I have also started using the young spinach leaves in salads and burgers instead of lettuce leaves. Better iron intake!

Edited by Mojoman

I want to grow

Tomatoes

Cucumber

Lettuce

Strawberries

Peppers

Any advice?

Most of these are easy to grow and don't need much attention.

Cucumbers do tend to get mill dew on the leaves looks like white powder need to keep it under control .

Lettuce once the head has formed and you cut in off pull the roots out you only get one per plant . Lettuce take about six weeks to mature . To keep a constance supply work out how many you will use a week an then plant about 10 days apart between batches. Plant on raised beds if possible and water early morning or or late afternoon.

Peppers are also easy to grow don't need much attention what you must do is remove the first and second pepper that develops as this helps the plant develop and the plant becomes stronger as the first two peppers will suck nutrition out of the plant and the plant becomes weak . The same procedure for strawberrys .

Last thing always rotate your plants don't plant that same vegetable in the same soil over and over as this will cause some plants roots not to develop properly you can get a root disease .

http://media.redding.com/media/img/photos/2009/05/26/Marijuana052609-720_t607.jpg

I like your herbs

Please please avoid using tobacco in your garden. It's really toxic - you may as well chuck pesticide on. There are so many other options that are bad for 'bad' bugs but don't kill off the good guys too.

I have an old veggie patch outside our kitchen that the previous homeowners neglected. Need to remove all the soil, term used loosely, and redo drainage and fill with good compost and soil.

We have strawberries in a vertical pot. They grow very quickly and love sunlight.

I have a wormery which needs a bit of attention. I have red wrigglers that make great casings and worm tea.

My veggie patch looks like it will struggle for sunlight in winter. Is this a problem?

Will saving on veggies be more than the increase in your water bill?

I think if you keep the ground damp all the time it shouldn't be that much. I spend about 5 minutes a day (when its not raining) watering the garden. Just a quick spray early in the morning.

But its a good question! I haven't really looked at our water bill as we have dogs that love 'hose-pipe' time so its hard to tell!

http://media.redding.com/media/img/photos/2009/05/26/Marijuana052609-720_t607.jpg

I take it that's not mint… :whistling:

I once had 300 "mint bushes" growing in my herb garden. Easiest plant to grow. Nothing fazes it.

I think if you keep the ground damp all the time it shouldn't be that much. I spend about 5 minutes a day (when its not raining) watering the garden. Just a quick spray early in the morning.

But its a good question! I haven't really looked at our water bill as we have dogs that love 'hose-pipe' time so its hard to tell!

Also get a water tank that one of the gutters feed, then use that for the dry days to save water

Loving this. My BIL started a hydroponics system using a couple of geyser trays with "lines" of 20mm grey stone and vermiculite as well as 80mm PVC pipes laying horizontally with holes cut in the top and the ends blanked off. The seedlings were placed on the holes with their roots hanging down in the pipe and some were placed in the 20mm stone. He "irrigated" the entire system using a few length of 20mm conduit and some garden hose with a water feature pump controlled by a pool timer feeding from a 25lt bucket on the floor. He mixed special plant food into the water and topped it up regularly.

They had so much lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and goodness knows what else that they couldn't eat it or give it away at the rate that it was growing!

No tunnels just trays next to the house.

If only the monkeys would go live somewhere else other than my neighbourhood.....