Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

O ok. So the soap/detergents are ok? I'm busy with a project to use rain water for my toilets(obviously will still be able to use normal water when the catch tank is empty) but if gray water is ok then that sounds like another project to look into.

Yes, but too much will kill the earthworms and other good guys and may start messing with your soil pH

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a bore hole so luckely water is not an issue. I would not like my chillies tasting like omo and sunlight... I have some habalokias, chocolate habas, yellow habbas, tabasco chillies, tai chillies and some jelapenos sprouting. Going to be a hot summer... Should have some carolina reapers soon... Oh man I'm excited!

Edit: and some red savina and cayene.

Edited by Pieter1

We have a bore hole so luckely water is not an issue. I would not like my chillies tasting like omo and sunlight... I have some habalokias, chocolate habas, yellow habbas, tabasco chillies, tai chillies and some jelapenos sprouting. Going to be a hot summer... Should have some carolina reapers soon... Oh man I'm excited!

Edit: and some red savina and cayene.

Lucky you. My jalapeño plant looks like it died during winter. It's still looking rather sick. I'll give it a few more weeks before replacing it. The pepper/capsicum plant right next to it even gave us a Peper midway through winter.

Start using eco friendly soaps and laundry stuff, Earthsap is good and not too pricey, then the grey water will be a lot more useable

I'd use gray water on grass and normal garden plants. I would not use it on the veggies though. The thought of washing the nasty bits and then throwing the same water on the veggies will put me off of the veggies  :excl:

Catch some rain water and store in a tank - throw that onto the veggies. 

A moer of tomato, like 12 marougras and 7 butch, garlic, onion, salt, balsamic, vinigar, rosmary, origanim, thyme, basil, pepper and some tumeric. Oh and bayleaves and curry leaves.

post-25481-0-82732600-1441564677_thumb.jpeg

It's hot. Really hot.

• 3 weeks later...

With the wetter weather my garden is taking strain with all the snails

The beer drowning tub does not work (and it's a waste of beer)

Copper wire idea seems to work but covering about 100m is not cheap.

Snailban works but not ideal as it will cause a possible decline in natural predators.

Can anyone recommend some tried and tested ideas which work. I just need to get the current boom in population under control (especially before I plant out my seedlings)

Snailban works but not ideal as it will cause a possible decline in natural predators.

Can anyone recommend some tried and tested ideas which work. I just need to get the current boom in population under control (especially before I plant out my seedlings)

I used to go out at night with a headlamp and catch them... That worked but it was a mission. I tried egg shells ad used coffee grounds but that did not work. Now we have two vlei loeries that seem to be helping out.

My friends mom puts down a lettuce leaf in various parts of the garden. In the morning she collects them and they are covered in snails. I suppose you could ad snailban to it as well

I have just browsed trough the livingseed website. Why are we always buying the same stuff, if there are so many options???/

my biggest issue is space

True, I have no space at all. 

Anything that I want to grow will have to grow inside, and be happy with an hour or so of sunlight. 

But who knew of all those different tomato types