First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

Me too Mayhem. Unfortunately there is just not enough hours in the day to follow all the social media AGM announcements and get work done, so here I still sit in the same clothes as the last time I posted. I fear my as is surely square!!

I would however like to know some of the details of the evening.. was Jack Black the most popular?? It won hands down at all the previous meetings...

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HI All,

It has been decided, in conjunction with Meurant Botha of AMARider, Rob Vogel of Table Mountain Bikers (partner in the larger Table Mountain Mountain Bikers Forum) Deon De Villiers (Chairman of Tokai MTB) Vince Muir, Richard Lord, Duane Bosch (members of the Interested and Affected Parties) & Myself (Vice Chair of Tokai MTB) that the nomination and voting process shall be as described below:

- Interested parties will nominate their individual choice of 5 committee members WITHOUT portfolio selection, and send such nomination through to info@amarider.co.za BEFORE 17th FEBRUARY 17h00

- Shortlist of Nominees shall be shown at entry to the Chrysalis Academy, and a copy of the nominations list shall be handed to each attendee together with a brief bio of each Nominee

- Each Nominee shall get a 2 minute window in which to justify their nomination to the Committee WITHOUT INTERRUPTIONS from the attendees

- Attendees shall vote amongst themselves to for the 5 Nominees that they feel will represent them best, and be able to deal with PARKS (the main Stakeholder) as well as the MTB public.

- The 5 Nominees who have the most amount of votes will form the EXCO (Executive Committee.

- The EXCO shall thereafter determine how best to distribute the individual portfolios amongst themselves given each persons skillset, characteristics and strengths, at their first EXCO meeting.

- The EXCO shall nominate the Chairman and Vice Chairman from the 5 EXCO members given the unique requirements of each position at the first EXCO meeting

Note - The public will NOT be selecting individual persons for particular roles within the EXCO. This will be the role of the EXCO itself once the EXCO has been formed, and the strengths and weaknesses of each EXCO member have been assessed.

If need be, the EXCO will nominate a Co-Opt member to make up any deficit in skills and / or expertise within the EXCO. This Co-Opt member will be a non-voting member of the committee, and will consult as an independent member as and when the EXCO deem necessary.

The roles that persons within the EXCO will fill are:

Public Relations

Secretary

Treasurer

Parks Liaison

Fund Raising

DH / Gravity Rep

All Mountain / Cross Country / Trail Rep

The roles are able to be doubled up. For example, the EXCO member holding the position of PR officer may also be Parks Liaison and Chairman, or Secretary may also be Treasurer and DH Rep etc. etc.

Unfortunately, given the sensitive nature of the elections process, it has been agreed that there will be no allowance for Proxy Votes. If a member of the public wishes to vote on the make-up of the committee, they MUST be present at the AGM on 18th February 2014.

Please ensure that this is spread as far as is possible in order to ensure adequate representation for all members of the public who are not members of this forum, Twitter and Facebook. A copy of this notice will be posted at the majority of Local Bike Shops in order to ensure adequate circulation.

WOW, thanks for getting it done!!

So proxies then? Guess if guys really want to vote they should get down there..

Guest Omega Man

Actually sad I couldn't make it. There were still a few misconceptions that needed to be put straight. And yes, I did eventually want to go. But baby duty is baby duty.

Sincere apologies! Just walked out of my last meeting and seeing that I'm all the way out in the Northern Suburbs I won't be able to make it in time.

It's a pity cause I really wanted to understand the bigger picture before we meet on the 18th. Apologies also for excusing myself here, but I don't have any of the guys who I know will be there's number.

All good. Work and family come first. Deon also messaged me yesterday saying work commitments were going to keep him away. I would have loved to speak to you guys face to face.

It was good chatting to DJR about going forward and that we all ACTUALLY want the same thing. Yes our methods might differ and passions do spill over. I'm certainly guilty of that.

This is my last post on this thread so I'm going to say all I need to say. Please everyone. Come on the 18th. Let's have 1000 riders there. Let's let Sanparks know we are many and passionate. Don't throw fruit at anyone tho please.

• I do think we are in agreement that Tokai needs to become a better mountain biking facility.
  • I do think TokaiMTB could us the help of some clearly passionate people.
  • I do think that even within the constraints of sanparks and the current trail system there can be improvements.
  • I do think that Deon forms an important part of the process.
  • I do think the AGM is a huge step in the right direction
  • There is budget for maintenance
  • I am positive about the future of the trails
  • It's not a coupe. If anything it's the legitimization of TokaiMTB
  • We never said anything about turning Tokai into Whistler.
  • We never meant this as a diss to the volunteers. It hurts my heart that I've offended guys and girls that have given their most precious asset to the cause of mountain biking. Their time. And guys you know. We've sweated (and got sopping wet) right alongside you.
  • Regarding our other project across the bay. That relationship has not soured. The plan is to build a gravity orientated bikepark. consisting of Enduro trails, DH trails , Skills area and some jumps. Andrew Neethling is going to advise on a signature track. The other land owners are on board. It's moving forward. Building has slowed because of Summer.
  • We aren't actively electioneering. We think it's pointless. We only know about 100 people who ride and they will have already made their minds up by now anyway.
  • It's not just 6 disgruntled downhillers that are unhappy about the trails.

I'll see you all on the 18th.

Duane out. Really this time.

I'm somewhat punch drunk after last nights meeting (really had 2 beers only) and spent most of the night tossing and turning about what feedback to give this morning. I still haven't formulated a logical reply in my own head, and will post more when I have.

What I can say though, is that there is total agreement from all sides that (1) Tokai comes first, and that (2) the process should happen according to the book, (3) that the AGM is the next step, and (4) that we all want the same end result, which is a great place to ride our bikes.

What isn't so clear to me at the moment, is what route to choose to get to that end result. More particularly, I am not convinced the current players can work together in future, given that this fight seems to be the latest flare up of very old resentments based on true and perceived wrongs from all sides. All I know for sure is that I don't want to be in the hot seat after the AGM on the 18th.

I'll be back......

I'm somewhat punch drunk after last nights meeting (really had 2 beers only) and spent most of the night tossing and turning about what feedback to give this morning. I still haven't formulated a logical reply in my own head, and will post more when I have.

What I can say though, is that there is total agreement from all sides that (1) Tokai comes first, and that (2) the process should happen according to the book, (3) that the AGM is the next step, and (4) that we all want the same end result, which is a great place to ride our bikes.

What isn't so clear to me at the moment, is what route to choose to get to that end result. More particularly, I am not convinced the current players can work together in future, given that this fight seems to be the latest flare up of very old resentments based on true and perceived wrongs from all sides. All I know for sure is that I don't want to be in the hot seat after the AGM on the 18th.

I'll be back......

Was thinking the same last night...... the guys need to reconcile if they have the best interest of Tokai at heart. Best way to get them to reconcile might be for them to work together....... vote in some of Vince's camp and some of Deon's ????? Might work......... But I will decided once they did their 2 min presentation at the AGM.

Edited by Pappa Bear

I'll be back......

Nail on the head, I think.

The flare up should not detract from the fact that the AGM needs to happen before anything else can happen. (NPO, etc.)

Was thinking the same last night...... the guys need to reconcile if they have the best interest of Tokai at heart. Best way to get them to reconcile might be for them to work together....... vote in some of Vince's camp and some of Deon's ????? Might work......... But I will decided once they did their 2 min presentation at the AGM.

i believe and hope that some that have been/will be nominated are in the neutral camp

screw neutral camp: best men and women for the job. Ppl need to grow the **** up and get over themselves.

Agreed

Dude, that is the POINT. The best person for the job. With the HOPE that should there be past personal issues between the elected committee members, that they are kept exactly that, IN THE PAST.

Guest Omega Man

Ok ok. Last post. I promise. I 100% completely understand your thought process here but we need to remember this is MUUUUCH bigger than Vince and Deon. You never know. People might be gatvol of those two going at each other all the time and not vote for them at all.

There are only 2 people in our camp who have indicated a willingness to be on the committee and one of our nominees IS Deon. Our other 2 nominees are firmly neutral as far as I can tell. Also it has to be completely free fair and open. We can't have people pointing the finger in a year's time saying the process wasn't fair. If Piet Pompies the unicycle guy wants to be on the committee and gets voted in then big up to him. He'd BETTER Fking perform tho.

And as Capricorn said people need to grow the **** up and get over themselves. If Vince and Deon make it on to the committee (There is every chance one or even both won't) they WILL have to rekindle their relationship and they WILL have to learn to work together. To label Vince impatient is an understatement and he'll have to keep that in check.

If they make it on are they gonna fight? HELL YES! But I believe people with a common interest can work together even if they don't braai together on a Friday night.

** You know what I mean hey? Not trying to be a knob.

Edited by Omega Man

Yeah. Vince and I have made peace (omega can attest) and despite our differences (not many tbh) we need to be able to work together for the good of tokai. Regardless Of the outcome of the elections.

I'm glad i actually don't know which camp is what and whose alliances are with who and that's even before trying to remember the names behind the hub profiles. Will take an open mind to the AGM..As naas would like to say, "on the udder hand darren, rugby tokai is the winner of the day."

Now onto to totally different matters. For the record.

this is a coupe

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/2012_Mini_John_Cooper_Works_Coupe_--_11-26-2011_front.jpg

this is a coup

http://www.mintpressnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Mali-Coup_Webf.jpg

I'm glad i actually don't know which camp is what and whose alliances are with who and that's even before trying to remember the names behind the hub profiles. Will take an open mind to the AGM..As naas would like to say, "on the udder hand darren, rugby tokai is the winner of the day."

this is a coupe

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/2012_Mini_John_Cooper_Works_Coupe_--_11-26-2011_front.jpg

this is a coup

I've been dying to do the coupe/coup thing for so many pages now. I chickened out.

this is a coupe

this is a coup

The top pic is a Coupe,

the bottom pic is more like "Yo mothersticker this is a ****up!!"